This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

POLL: Do you want swearing in video games?

#101AlltraPosted 11/30/2012 10:48:39 AM
Yes, but only when appropriate and not done as a gimmick for shock factor. Not only that, but it shouldn't be done in excess either. A few curses here or there when the situation would call for it is perfectly fine.
---
Math problems are the ultimate trick question. No matter how straight forward and simple they seem, the answer is never what you think it is.
#102DarthSchubertPosted 11/30/2012 11:07:43 AM
I didn't vote because I don't care. A swear is a word to me, not really much more. You should ask if people want to see the word 'tango' or 'grapefruit' in the game; same thing to me.
---
"Life is like a box of chocolates. Diabetics can't enjoy either."
#103NinogerritsPosted 11/30/2012 11:11:47 AM(edited)
Nothing wrong with swearing, but in some games it's a bit too much. Take gta 4 for example. Sure, these guys are criminals, i get that. But saying f*ck at least five times a mission is just unneccessary.

Edit: also, gta 3 and vice city got the job done with little swearing. The story (although III doesn't have much of a story) is just as enjoyable as SA and IV. Although it could be that censoring laws back then were more strict, dunno about that.
#104pakathecatPosted 11/30/2012 11:17:56 AM
NessEggman posted...
As long as it's natural and fits the atmosphere of the game.

Like, if no one swore in GTA or Catherine, that would be really awkward.

But I think unless it is necessary to use obscenities in dialogue to portray a character or society or whatever, it shouldn't really be used.

Pretty much how I feel too.

I'm not bothered by it at all personally, though games that are heavy on the swearing can make me turn down the TV very low, since I'm in an apartment and try to be considerate of my neighbors.
#105Golden MavenPosted 11/30/2012 11:30:31 AM
I think people who create products for mass consumption should make an effort to keep their work clean. As a society, we should be a little more mindful of what we allow in our living rooms. We should also promote entertainment that inspires us rather than disturb or shock us.

I'm not saying I want to ban GTA type games and only allow Bible games, but I also keep in mind that a lot of kids and impressionable adults are playing these games.

As far as authenticity, guys, for goodness' sake... These games are not realistic by any stretch of the imagination, I don't think keeping the language clean would hurt anything. I wouldn't mind playing a gangster game with no cursing whatsoever, because these games do not represent reality. They're just borrowing the "gangster" theme to dress up our entertainment, it isn't a documentary on the underworld.

I'm not saying I mind a bit of cursing, I'm just saying we shouldn't be actively promoting it.
#106Stygma69Posted 11/30/2012 11:32:58 AM
as an adult i say "yell yes".
but i think there should be a code/setting to shut them off for younger players and the overly sensitive.
---
PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii ??
**** 'em all!
#107dano1126Posted 11/30/2012 11:35:55 AM
I don't mind, but like a lot of people are saying if it fits in and it used as a natural reaction only. I remember when dead space 2 came out and Issac actually talked he cussed a lot and people were not happy with the amount of swear words he would say, if I was in a similar situation as he I would be saying much worse more often. Now if a sonic game was to come out and sonic would swear how would that seem?
---
Living the dream!
PSN:dano1126
#108hockeybub89Posted 11/30/2012 11:44:43 AM
They're just words. There is no such thing as a bad word. If they fit the tone of a situation or the personality of a character, they should be allowed. Heck, slurs should be included if you want to really paint a certain character as a terrible person.

There is too much censorship in this day and age. Nudity or gore is one thing, but words? Come on. It's not like a kid Tv show would become filled with swear words if we became a little looser on the world filters in all media.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica
#109Stax221Posted 11/30/2012 11:45:45 AM
Alltra posted...
Yes, but only when appropriate and not done as a gimmick for shock factor. Not only that, but it shouldn't be done in excess either. A few curses here or there when the situation would call for it is perfectly fine.

This.
#110darkshadowmasterPosted 11/30/2012 11:48:29 AM
Define "want"

Do I want every game to just be swearing non-stop for no purpose other than "har har I can say the F WORD!"? No

Do I want a game like Max Payne to call people "buttheads"? No

As long as it fits the game I'm completely fine with it swearing.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.