This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

POLL: Do you want swearing in video games?

#61hotgamerPosted 11/30/2012 6:52:37 AM
Don't care, but if DmC is anything like the demo, it's gonna do it too much.
---
Trying to contain the chaos is futile.
#62Flare1721Posted 11/30/2012 6:55:04 AM
It depends if it calls for it. Swearing can be better then crap words that kill the situation.
---
Best Boss Battle Ever Xemnas- KH2, Long Live Mega Man Legends 3!
PSN: Strife1721
#63ScreamingMidgetPosted 11/30/2012 6:55:50 AM
peter_888 posted...
if it helps the game's mood.
just swearing for it's own sake just makes it very silly. Very silly.

This. DmC is a good example of it being silly.

"**** YOU"
-"**** YOU!"
"**** YOU BLEARGHHHH *vomits*"

I can't believe someone actually wrote this dialogue.
#64SuperturkeysPosted 11/30/2012 6:59:06 AM
If it fits like Barret in FF7 then go for it.
---
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
#65majora123Posted 11/30/2012 6:59:11 AM
LightRukia posted...
How about I don't care as long as it isn't overdone and/or feels out of place.

This. I'm play AC3 right now and I think the amount of swearing is perfect. Could someone consider it over the top? Maybe, but in a game like AC3, in the time period they are in, swearing drives home the point. I remember playing Metroid Prime 3 and someone said "damn." I was 15 when the game came out, but I was shocked because I was caught of guard. This is a first party Nintendo game, and they swear (kinda). I recently played Fire Emblem 6 (the Sealed Sword) and they swear often. They say "damn," "crap," and hell," frequently. I'm 20, it's not a big deal; however, when a character named Lance dies, he says, "****" (beings with an "S"). This game was never released in the US, so I played a fan translation. Whoever translated the game must have done a literal translation. In Japan, "hell," "crap," and "damn," are NOT considered swears. The culture barrier is very interesting, so as long as they don't go over the top, I believe swearing is fine.
---
FC's in profile 3DS: 4511-0558-2564 Wii U: Mike623 Message if u add me. I welcome all requests!
#66drclaeysPosted 11/30/2012 7:12:49 AM
Friends,

in some games it just fits. Like fallout 3 or new vegas. its like the end of the world, everyone is trying to kill you. no government, no rules, no police.

I think it has to be fitting to the tale. Not be forced.

But, I also think it can be toned down some. it is really JUST a game, you can make up more funny words, instead of totall cuss words.

You just have to belittle people without swareing and cussing. it can be done. it takes better writters and more thought.

thank you for sharing.
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan.
#67smifypzPosted 11/30/2012 7:12:58 AM
As long as it isn't trying to be funny and it actually fits the mood and what's going on in the game, then I don't mind.
---
3DS FC: 2105- 9580- 9704
PSN: tennislover3195
#68DreamsaberPosted 11/30/2012 7:20:09 AM
ImmatureContent posted...
I don't specifically like swearing(nor do I dislike it) but I absolutely don't want games censored to the point that they can't have it. It's just ****ing words. People act like it's more than that. It's not. It never will be. Get over it. The concept of "bad language" is one of the most preposterous notions in society.
Unpure_Euphoria posted...
The concept of swearing amazes me. How anyone could find a simple series of tones and sounds produced from the vocal box to be vulgar astounds me. The very idea that a sound can be offensive reeks of the most atrocious kind of mind control out there.

If you truly think swearing shouldn't be in media, you have absolutely no appreciation for the English language. Swearing is a part of our language and therefore has uses, and should be employed when those uses are presented. It's like owning a plunger, but not using it when your toilet backs up. Like having milk, but only eating dry cereal.

These are some mighty childish and feminine viewpoints. *nods*
---
You opened a debate, and I'll be damned if you're not going to finish it. ~smashbrother3
#69wh0_kn0wsPosted 11/30/2012 7:27:12 AM
Dreamsaber posted...
These are some mighty childish and feminine viewpoints. *nods*

oh god
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#70este914Posted 11/30/2012 7:28:34 AM
crazyman32 posted...
LightRukia posted...
How about I don't care as long as it isn't overdone and/or feels out of place.

^This

---
-> este914 <-
WHO ELSE?!