This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which Final Fantasy shall I play?

#11Raven_CyarmPosted 11/30/2012 7:22:54 AM
VanderZoo posted...
miffie_1 posted...
MegaTyphoon99 posted...
The first Final Fantasy is the ideal starting point for good reasons.

such as?

You'll appreciate the the evolution of the series more. And it can be hard to play a game that lacks the gameplay improvements made by it's sequels..

Troof bomb.

I've been spoiled by the 3D ones and it's almost impossible for me to go to the 2D ones.
---
#AntiSmark
http://www.youtube.com/RavenCyarm
#12IHeartMetroidPosted 11/30/2012 7:26:57 AM
VanderZoo posted...
miffie_1 posted...
MegaTyphoon99 posted...
The first Final Fantasy is the ideal starting point for good reasons.

such as?

You'll appreciate the the evolution of the series more. And it can be hard to play a game that lacks the gameplay improvements made by it's sequels..

Yeah, I agree with this.

FF1 is a fun, simple game, but has some things that will be aggravating to people used to more "modern" RPGs. Some of them were "fixed" in later versions of FF1, but some are still maddeningly there.

For example- points awarded by levelling is very random. Sometimes your guys can get 20 to 40 HP with a level up, and sometimes you'll spend time grinding only to have a measly single (*#$ HP point given to your characters.

FF1 also has no "save points" either. Those didn't come into play until FF4. This means if you slog through a dungeon and get wiped out, you get to go through the entire dungeon over again.

You also only get one Job in the Job System to go through the entire game with, and one optional upgrade to that Job. If you pick a White Mage, you'll be a White Mage (then White Wiz) until you erase that save.

But at least they fixed some of the old archaic stuff. It used to be that if an enemy got killed at you had that enemy targeted, your characters would be too dumb to pick a different monster and you would swish at the air. Then the game would laugh at you and shout "Ineffective!"
#13DreamsaberPosted 11/30/2012 7:28:24 AM
PoorCountry posted...
I'm the only man who picked Final Fantasy VIII.

Are you implying that I am a woman?
---
You opened a debate, and I'll be damned if you're not going to finish it. ~smashbrother3
#14mumpsy21Posted 11/30/2012 7:29:05 AM
I chose 12, but play the others first. 12 has a lot of references to past FFs. Lots of content, fun battle system, and a pretty cool story thanks to the setting and theme. It also has the difficult sidequests we all know and love, such as the great crystal.
---
Sometimes, or a lot, I post in a topic and never go back in. Probably just boredom and laziness teaming up again.
#15IHeartMetroidPosted 11/30/2012 7:41:55 AM
"It also has the difficult sidequests we all know and love, such as the great crystal."

lol
#16miffie_1(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 8:30:16 AM
bump
---
Black FC: 3095 7184 2283 | Gen V W/L ratio: 185-24 | # of teams trolled by my Aron and Stunfisk: 79
#17galfasanta1111Posted 11/30/2012 8:32:37 AM
I assume you have played some of VII but never cleared it, so I assume you want something completely fresh.

I'd recommend FFIX, my 2nd best Final Fantasy after VII, it is an awesome game. The music is great, the story is and the world is very varied.

It was a pleasure to play through.
---
i7 3930k @ 3.2ghz | GTX 580 | 8GB DDR3 | 875W
#18servb0tsPosted 11/30/2012 8:36:30 AM(edited)
start from scratch, if you like your choice. I started out from scratch on both Final Fantasy & Castlevania series.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3
-PS3 FFXIV ARR 2.0 Day 1 Buy I can't wait to maxout Summoner
#19RomangeloPosted 11/30/2012 8:34:58 AM
FFX is the best but you should play all of them. start with IV

(skip 1,2,3 if you want because they're not so important)
---
X > V > T > VI > XII > XIII-2 > X-2 > XIII > TLR > VIII > VII > IV > IX > III > I > II
#20glory of power metalPosted 11/30/2012 8:51:09 AM
I vote IX. Love the **** out of that game.
---
QT x314159.
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher