This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So it's legal to gain profit from merely posting gameplay videos on youtube?

#1Saintman32190Posted 11/30/2012 7:58:02 AM
How exactly does this whole thing work?

On youtube, I've seen a good amount of people get partnerships and money from simply uploading walkthroughs or playthroughs of the games that they own. How exactly is it legal for them to gain $ from doing this?

And what exactly is the difference between uploading tv shows, or anime episodes on YT(and gaining profit from it) compared to uploading gameplay videos on YT and gaining profit? Why is the latter acceptable, while the former isn't?

Just curious. I don't have hate for people who upload gameplay videos or walkthroughs and gain money off of it. But im curious as to how they are able to make money off of it and how it differentiates from making money off of uploading Tv shows for profit(in which case, the person would be getting banned on YT, or maybe even sued?)

Don't flame me please. I'm just an uneducated user on this subject.
#2FebderpPosted 11/30/2012 8:02:48 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3Stanger5150Posted 11/30/2012 8:05:22 AM
How do authors of strategy guides make a profit?
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Assassin's Creed III, Okami HD, Nier, Folklore, Dishonored, Dragon Age II, The Lone Ranger
#4DestinPosted 11/30/2012 8:08:17 AM
playing the game requires effort, you add absolutely nothing when you upload anime or a television show.

also game videos deter very little people from buying the game. most people who watch them already paid for the game.

how many people would buy the dvd of a show they can watch on youtube?
---
Destin the Valiant
#5FebderpPosted 11/30/2012 8:09:55 AM
most people who watch them already paid for the game.
LOL

Anyway TC, they hook up with partnerships like TGN and Machinima.
---
Welcome to Gamefaqs, where for some reason it's ok to bash Americans continually without penalty
#6D_Rich_KingPosted 11/30/2012 8:12:52 AM(edited)
It's simple. Uploading gameplay without any commentary or unique input might land you in hot water, but if you add your own commentary and whatnot then it's fine. I guess it's because by doing so you're making it more your own video.
---
DLC is a method of corporate profiteering. Will you buy into it?
#7Neonwarrior1243Posted 11/30/2012 8:13:36 AM
With a game you'll want to buy it and play it unless it's all about the story like Heavy Rain or FFXIII and not about gameplay much while with a TV show and etc most people will watch it once for free then not buy it.
#8lambchipsPosted 11/30/2012 8:14:26 AM
you can also get ad funding... basically allow ads to be played before your vid and everyone that watches the ad gets you money
^ i know streaming works this way, most pro gamers stream for a living (lol, dota and sc2 players mainly) and get ad revenue
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#9JahkeemyorkPosted 11/30/2012 8:17:37 AM
D_Rich_King posted...
It's simple. Uploading gameplay without any commentary or unique input might land you in hot water, but if you add your own commentary and whatnot then it's fine.

Not at all, you can still land in hot water either way.

People that DO do it though, like mahalo, machi, that get the massive hits. I'm sue they make some sort of deal with the developer to do it. After all, because the music is being used, and the contents of what's being displayed is owned by the company (Visual and audio rights) they CAN take it down and charge. (Course that'd ruin their own reputation for charging).

However at the same time really most companies don't care about gameplay walkthroughs unless it's like before release date, and it's something like the ending or a huge spoiler before the game's officially released.

Like Halo 4's Legendary ending was taken down repeatedly by Microsoft until a week after Halo 4 released.

They get free promotion, and it's not like soundtracks since you have to play the game to actually experience it.

TLDR:
Companies can still take down playthrough due to them still owning the rights to the audio, and visual contents being displayed (If you're seeing a video game) but with the amount of backlash, the fact people are gonna upload anyways, and no real way to stick charges. It's not worth it besides getting the youtube account banned.
#10ReeNoiPPosted 11/30/2012 8:17:59 AM
People who post gameplay actually do something (play the game at the very least) rather than simply redistribute an illegal copy. There are some legal things regarding that.

Further the main drawpoint of a game is usually playing it, which you need to buy it to do. That way gameplay videos can actually work as free advertisement for the game.

On the other hand there is no reason to buy a tv show if you can simply watch it for free any time you like.

I do vaguely remember there being some warnings being issued for uploading all cutscenes in a story heavy game. Maybe mgs4 not sure.
---
---