This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which genre is better? JRPGs or WRPGs

#21Auron772Posted 11/30/2012 12:00:06 PM
WRPG's are the king now. JRPG's dominated up until the end of last gen but have sunk into the abyss this gen.
---
"I have two rules I follow. The first, never kill someone without a reason. The second, you can always find a reason to kill someone." - Saren
#22CrystalKing5426Posted 11/30/2012 12:01:47 PM
ChaoticKnuckles posted...
How the hell is "I like waffles" not dominating this poll? They're so tasty!

Because https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnx3qTmXdTs&playnext=1&list=PLAA28AE383F8104E3&feature=results_video
#23CrystalKing5426Posted 11/30/2012 12:02:19 PM
Auron772 posted...
WRPG's are the king now. JRPG's dominated up until the end of last gen but have sunk into the abyss this gen.

Xenoblade
#24RPG maniac87Posted 11/30/2012 12:07:34 PM
This gen I prefer JRPGs. Love WRPGs but they've been disappointing ever since they made the jump to consoles.
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)
#25kupo1705Posted 11/30/2012 12:08:09 PM
Genre?
#26AlltraPosted 11/30/2012 12:11:58 PM(edited)
"WRPG's are the king now. JRPG's dominated up until the end of last gen but have sunk into the abyss this gen."

That's honestly not saying much from my point of view. WRPGs are only king because JRPGs suck so horribly this generation. You're dominating a genre where the only other competitors are producing the worst examples of the genre ever made. If JRPGs were still producing at the level they used to, WRPGs would be forgotten just like they were in past generations.
---
Math problems are the ultimate trick question. No matter how straight forward and simple they seem, the answer is never what you think it is.
#27Auron772Posted 11/30/2012 12:17:57 PM
Alltra posted...
"WRPG's are the king now. JRPG's dominated up until the end of last gen but have sunk into the abyss this gen."

That's honestly not saying much from my point of view. WRPGs are only king because JRPGs suck so horribly this generation. You're dominating a genre where the only other competitors are producing the worst examples of the genre ever made. If JRPGs were still producing at the level they used to, WRPGs would be forgotten just like they were in past generations.

I honestly don't think so. WRPG's weren't as popular before because they were almost exclusively on PC's. As well, JRPG's used to be fantastic but were in no means better than WRPG's, just different.
---
"I have two rules I follow. The first, never kill someone without a reason. The second, you can always find a reason to kill someone." - Saren
#28DragoonGriffithPosted 11/30/2012 12:19:26 PM
Alltra posted...

Or maybe people need to play some games like Xenoblade, and JRPGs on handhelds where most of the good ones are nowadays.
---
"waiting for a Tales game is like waiting for an organ donor"
#29AlltraPosted 11/30/2012 12:31:01 PM(edited)
I wouldn't call Xenoblade Chronicles a JRPG. Hell, I wouldn't even consider it an RPG, it's Action Adventure game.

Even considering that, I think people overhype just how good the Handheld RPG lineup actually is. Most of them are re-releases of older RPGs from previous generations, and automatically don't count in terms of discussing the quality of JRPGs from this generation.
---
Math problems are the ultimate trick question. No matter how straight forward and simple they seem, the answer is never what you think it is.
#30Sheria_KPosted 11/30/2012 12:30:16 PM
In the 90's and very early 2000 I considered them equal, but this gen I much prefer Jrpgs.

The likes of Project Eternity show great promise, but look how rare something like that comes along now.
---
Currently Playing: Under Defeat HD, Hitman Absolution and Virtues Last Reward.