This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which genre is better? JRPGs or WRPGs

#241nooitzbenPosted 11/30/2012 10:36:01 PM
This poll...such a blasphemy.
#242TehAssasinPosted 11/30/2012 10:56:43 PM
I like JRPG more.
#243Takerrulez465Posted 11/30/2012 11:31:14 PM
It seems that a lot of people in this topic point to JRPGs in the 90s to support that it's better. But WRPGs in the 90s till the early 2000s were good too. For every FF 4-7, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound there was an Ultima VII, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, and KotOR. Even today for every Dark Soul, Xenoblade, and Valkyria Chronicles there's Witcher 2, Morrowind, and Mass Effect 1. They have both had great games throughout time.

If anything, I would go the opposite way and say that WRPGs were great earlier (no JRPG can touch the story of Planescape Torment or the deep gameplay of Baldur's Gate 2), but JRPGs have been better today because of interesting new style of gameplay introduced by Demons/Dark Souls, Persona series, Valkyria Chronicles, Xenoblade, etc. that isn't as occasionally tedious as the random battle prevalent in JRPGs. Both have had their fair share of good and bad games though.
#244lambchipsPosted 11/30/2012 11:31:53 PM
TehAssasin posted...
I like JRPG more.

i hope you're supporting this project, its the future of jrpg
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/573261866/pier-solar-hd-an-rpg-for-xbox360-pc-mac-linux-and
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#245Sony_FanaticPosted 11/30/2012 11:38:04 PM
I'm just not all that into JRPG's, so I'm going with WRPG's. Though I'm not really a big RPG fan, so yeah.
---
PSN PHOENIX_4pp
Platinum Trophies Modern Warfare 3.. ugh.
#246StriderTunaPosted 12/1/2012 12:55:22 AM
I love how there are so many topics panning JRPGs.

Are there just a lot of insecure people out there at the like WRPGs?

I think it's that the bubble jRPGs had popped hard and thus the genre most once adored is scorned. Part of it was the fact the excesses were getting too excessive (too linear, cinematic, etc)

sort of hypocritical as A) these same people at up the ME games which were very jRPGish and B) they likely panned the SaGa series which is very non-linear, especially compared to ME.

TehAssasin posted...
I like JRPG more.

i hope you're supporting this project, its the future of jrpg
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/573261866/pier-solar-hd-an-rpg-for-xbox360-pc-mac-linux-and

I can't take it seriously when it's not going to be on a particularly accessible format (PC). something that's only for the dreamcast (dead system), Ouwa (whatever the **** that is), and android.

It seems that a lot of people in this topic point to JRPGs in the 90s to support that it's better. But WRPGs in the 90s till the early 2000s were good too. For every FF 4-7, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound there was an Ultima VII, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, and KotOR. Even today for every Dark Soul, Xenoblade, and Valkyria Chronicles there's Witcher 2, Morrowind, and Mass Effect 1. They have both had great games throughout time.

If anything, I would go the opposite way and say that WRPGs were great earlier (no JRPG can touch the story of Planescape Torment or the deep gameplay of Baldur's Gate 2), but JRPGs have been better today because of interesting new style of gameplay introduced by Demons/Dark Souls, Persona series, Valkyria Chronicles, Xenoblade, etc. that isn't as occasionally tedious as the random battle prevalent in JRPGs. Both have had their fair share of good and bad games though.

jRPGs in the 90's had nice twists on things, lively personalities, classic chip music,etc. These showed the range of things compared to the popular wRPG picture of a guy and a monster taking turns hitting each other until one of them dies (jRPGs started out like that, but they didn't waste much time leaving). Also PT and KotOR were 64bit and later games, not games from the 90's.
---
Claims List is in quote."Let's just take it easy and agree to disagree when it's debatable, not when facts are involved.." - Me
#247AnthonM2Posted 12/1/2012 6:18:43 AM
StriderTuna posted...
You know something about recent Bioware RPGs: in certain ways they remind me of jrpgs (linear, character development)

Bioware rpgs are linear? and not like the other stupid open world games (you can do everything - you can go anywhere) that western devs like to do, i need to check some of Bioware games now.
#248lambchipsPosted 12/1/2012 6:23:21 AM
StriderTuna posted...
I can't take it seriously when it's not going to be on a particularly accessible format (PC). something that's only for the dreamcast (dead system), Ouwa (whatever the **** that is), and android.

umm its on the 360 too as well as android (both those are accessible... )

also pc is the most accessible platform because almost everyone has one (the game doesnt need a gaming pc to play either)
^ the digital age, the pc is a necessity (as is a phone)
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#249PoorCountryPosted 12/1/2012 6:23:28 AM
I like the qualifications of the JRPG genre more, but I dislike the JRPGs that have been coming out lately.
#250Pereb27Posted 12/1/2012 11:59:11 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]