This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which genre is better? JRPGs or WRPGs

#51mike_testPosted 11/30/2012 1:49:06 PM
JRPGs have been influenced by WRPGs anyway. D&D is the granddaddy of all.

FF and Dragon quest? Influenced by D&D.

WRPGs are better because they can reward exp for doing things other than just mindlessly killing monsters.
WRPGs are better because character customization has been more dictated by the player's choice rather than the game just deciding it for you.
WRPGs are better because much of their stories can be developed solely by your own choices. Instead of imposing narratives, they present narratives that you can choose.

So WRPGs are more preferred.

Of course, I could also list several valid reasons why JRPGs are more preferred over WRPGs, but unless you want to read how many times I can say "they hold your hand while you play," it's not happening.
#52BlueEye0Posted 11/30/2012 2:23:40 PM
I love both but I couldn't decide so I picked waffles.
#53Ness0123456789Posted 11/30/2012 2:25:29 PM
Back in the SNES, PS1, and early PS2 era, I would have said JRPG.

Now, the only JRPG I'll play are the Tales games (simply because I'm a sucker for that series and it's combat system) and the more unique JRPG games (generally the stand alone titles that have a more serious or thoughtful tone). Western RPG's just trump them in every way, from character customization to having more intricate, and interesting, plot lines.

The only JRPG games I've played this generation that I would say can stand up to WRPG in terms of story telling, game play, and customization were Tales of Vesperia and Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#54hyjinx17Posted 11/30/2012 2:26:35 PM
Who cares, both genres have good games.

Oh I actually do like waffles
---
Rainbow Dash is best pony. The only argument I will accept is for Twilight Sparkle.
#55Unbridled9Posted 11/30/2012 2:28:25 PM
This is like asking which type of war movie is better, action or drama. Both have strong points, both have weak points. JRPG's tend to have stronger plots, WRPG's tend to have better character connection.
---
If you love a person, it doesn't matter if they cheat.
If you love a person, you won't cheat.
#56Eamon696Posted 11/30/2012 2:30:26 PM
I prefer WRPG's.
#57Gam3r777Posted 11/30/2012 2:35:56 PM
I like Waffles.
#58-Damien-Posted 11/30/2012 2:37:39 PM
MyWifeBeatsMe posted...
ScreamingMidget posted...
I wish your wife would actually beat you

and you're one of the reasons why I even make these kind of topics. They seem to rustle your jimmies and a few other users I won't mention.

how could you blame people making fun of your stupid username
#59BlackWizardMagusPosted 11/30/2012 2:55:13 PM
JRPGs for me. Ironically, I feel like they would be doing even better this gen if the devs had stuck to their guns instead of listening to the complaints of WRPG fans (the people who will never play Final Fantasy anyway) and altering their games to try and capture that audience. Nothing wrong with different sub-genres being different (and I do enjoy both).
---
"The black wind howls. One among you will shortly perish"
Magus
#60KotomineKireiPosted 11/30/2012 2:57:44 PM
They're both RPGs, each with their own pros and cons, with and people who like them, given the right developer and ideas, so really neither genre is better.
---
"EVENT ENDED!"
---