This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which genre is better? JRPGs or WRPGs

#61CyhortI82Posted 11/30/2012 1:58:31 PM
WRPG's. I like having control over the story and the outcome. JRPG's are too linear and grindy for me.
---
TheTygerfire is the love of my life.
I believe in the Straight Edge Savior and the Mizziah I love DLC :)
#62Devil_wings00Posted 11/30/2012 2:00:24 PM
I grew up with JRPG's on the PS1 so I have a soft spot for those. Still over the last gen WRPG's have been much better then JRPG's have. Not all of them of course. Still I haven't played a WRPG that made me as happy as Xenogears (yes I HAVE played it recently and still love it) or the old FF games. I also don't have a working PSP, where Jrpg's made there home over the last gen, so I can't really comment on those. Still I like both why do people have to pick one?
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#63Reginleif20Posted 11/30/2012 2:03:56 PM
For JRPGs we have Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Suikoden II, Persona 4, Xenoblade Chronicles, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, and The World Ends With You while the best game WRPGs can offer is overrated Skyrim
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
#64luigi13579Posted 11/30/2012 2:06:14 PM
That's a tough one...

I'd say that I like more JRPGs, but like WRPGs better on average. On the basis that quality trumps quantity, I'd probably have to go with WRPGs then, but it's very close.

At the moment, I think both genres have seen better days, particularly back in the 90s and early 00s for me (with the likes of Baldur's Gate II, System Shock 2, Planescape: Torment, Fallout 1 and 2, Deus Ex, Diablo II, Morrowind, etc. for WRPGs and FF VI-IX, the Quintet trilogy, Lufia II, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star IV, etc. for JRPGs). I'm not even sure I'd give the edge to WRPGs right now, certainly if you include handhelds. Maybe CD Projekt RED's Cyberpunk 2077 (which I'm *massively* hyped for) can change that! :P

Voted for the waffles by the way, since it was so close for me.
#65ClarkyMalarkyPosted 11/30/2012 2:09:15 PM
DragoonGriffith posted...
ClarkyMalarky posted...
Yes, grinding in a linear game in a linear dungeon so you can beat boss A and get to town B in a linear fashion is SOOOOOOOOOoooooOOOO much better than open world exploration where you can go wherever the hell you want and do whatever the hell you want to do...

JRPGs haven't been good since FFX.

*edit* Bolded the so to denote sarcasm.

The irony...

Being linear doesn't make them bad, it just doesn't make them better ;)
---
Your ugly face is starting to piss me off.
#66leopoldsharkPosted 11/30/2012 2:27:26 PM
I would have to go with WRPGs because I prefer active combat to the turn-based party combat that a lot of JRPGs tend to go with. Set one party member to healing and you win for the most part.
#67VIETNAM-Posted 11/30/2012 2:34:24 PM
Jrpgs by miles, DSoul series & Dragon Dogma has proven that wrpg are severely lacking when others make their genre.
#68RSF1212Posted 11/30/2012 2:35:26 PM
Wouldn't say either is better. I like both.
#69Stanger5150Posted 11/30/2012 2:35:36 PM
I like RPGs
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Assassin's Creed III, Okami HD, Nier, Folklore, Dishonored, Dragon Age II, The Lone Ranger
#70Majoras_pantsPosted 11/30/2012 2:36:25 PM
Reginleif20 posted...
For JRPGs we have Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Suikoden II, Persona 4, Xenoblade Chronicles, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, and The World Ends With You while the best game WRPGs can offer is overrated Skyrim

lol you bring up overrated AFTER mention chrono trigger?

And then after that instead of listing actual top tier WRPGs you just mention the second best from last year?

Morriwnd, Fallout NV, Fallout 1 and 2 and Planescape: Torment (Game of the century) blow away any JRPG, period.