This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which genre is better? JRPGs or WRPGs

#91Majoras_pantsPosted 11/30/2012 3:02:24 PM
peter_888 posted...
Majoras_pants posted...
Pereb27 posted...
According to the poll, JRPG > waffles > WRPG. That says a lot about the latter.

On a board for a sony console.

Consoles ONLY had JRPGs until this gen. before that they were for PC gamers only for the most part. And now that they're on consoles, they're watered down a lot and aren't a ton better than JRPGs, besides a few great ones like Fallout New Vegas.

So yeah, there are going to be a lot of people who've really only games on consoles. And those people wont know enough about WRPGs to realize they're superior.

you do know that logic can be reverse and say that PC only gamers who have never played great jrpgs.
anyway, I've played the greats on both sides and enjoyed them pretty equally. They pretty much offer different things even though they are in the same genre.

They're definitely not the same genre. WRPGs are roll playing games and JRPGs are adventure games.

And yeah I guess I never thought of it the other way around. i guess that would create a bias if this was on the PC boards.

I've always bought consoles and PC games.
#92Kingmichael1337Posted 11/30/2012 3:06:26 PM
peter_888 posted...
you do know that logic can be reverse and say that PC only gamers who have never played great jrpgs.

1. how many pc only gamers are there? pc gamers have more money than console gamers and therefore can probably afford consoles as well

2. pc gamers have emulators. hell, even a cheap android phone can run ps1 games flawlessly. mine does; playing ff9 atm, and it's totally legal because i have two copies of it.

3. there are no great jrpgs lol

guess who's wrong!
---
"i was thinking about getting the game but i was jw if the online multiplayer community is lgbt friendly" - post that got me b& for 7 days LOL
#93RintonPosted 11/30/2012 3:10:46 PM
peter_888 posted...
Majoras_pants posted...
Pereb27 posted...
According to the poll, JRPG > waffles > WRPG. That says a lot about the latter.

On a board for a sony console.

Consoles ONLY had JRPGs until this gen. before that they were for PC gamers only for the most part. And now that they're on consoles, they're watered down a lot and aren't a ton better than JRPGs, besides a few great ones like Fallout New Vegas.

So yeah, there are going to be a lot of people who've really only games on consoles. And those people wont know enough about WRPGs to realize they're superior.

anyway, I've played the greats on both sides and enjoyed them pretty equally. They pretty much offer different things even though they are in the same genre.

PC's gotten all the good JRPGs. Final Fantasy VII and Dark Souls were both on PC.
#94peter_888Posted 11/30/2012 3:11:40 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#95DragoonGriffithPosted 11/30/2012 3:14:03 PM
Rinton posted...

PC's gotten all the good JRPGs. Final Fantasy VII and Dark Souls were both on PC.

So, a pretty good JRPG from 1997, and a great ARPG of this gen?

Compared to the large lybrary of JRPG that are out there, not to mention in many ways better than those two (well, certainly better than FFVII, while Dark Souls is among the best IMO)?

That's like saying "herp derp the PS3 has DA: O and Skyrim, therefore that's enough for me".
---
"waiting for a Tales game is like waiting for an organ donor"
#96TGSnowwyPosted 11/30/2012 3:14:30 PM
I don't know about "better", but I prefer JRPGs.
#97peter_888Posted 11/30/2012 3:19:36 PM
Kingmichael1337 posted...
peter_888 posted...

1. how many pc only gamers are there? pc gamers have more money than console gamers and therefore can probably afford consoles as well

2. pc gamers have emulators. hell, even a cheap android phone can run ps1 games flawlessly. mine does; playing ff9 atm, and it's totally legal because i have two copies of it.

3. there are no great jrpgs lol

guess who's wrong!

1. just because they can afford pc gaming doesn't automatically mean they will go to console gaming.

2. and most console gamers have pc that can pretty much run any old pc games like fallout

3. your really grasping at straws now.

console gamer also have Fallout new vegas which is a great wrpg by itself. But that game isn't the only great wrpg to exist. Same thing with FF7 and Dark Souls. They are not the only great jrpg to come to existence.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#98Kingmichael1337Posted 11/30/2012 3:19:59 PM
console gamers can play old pc games but probably won't because they're too afraid of blowing up their computer installing steam or something. anyway, PCs can emulate current gen consoles pretty well, so even if there were any jrpgs worth playing (and there aren't because this has pretty much been the worst gen for jrpgs in all the time they've existed), PC gamers would be able to play them anyway.

every time a humble bundle comes out, linux users donate the most money. know why? because computer nerds are rolling in the dough; they can definitely afford all the consoles they want, but they prefer to stick to a pc with windows 7 on one partition and linux on another. so you know they've played both wrpgs and jrpgs, but they prefer wrpgs because they know that wrpgs are better.
---
"i was thinking about getting the game but i was jw if the online multiplayer community is lgbt friendly" - post that got me b& for 7 days LOL
#99peter_888Posted 11/30/2012 3:25:06 PM
Kingmichael1337 posted...
console gamers can play old pc games but probably won't because they're too afraid of blowing up their computer installing steam or something. anyway, PCs can emulate current gen consoles pretty well, so even if there were any jrpgs worth playing (and there aren't because this has pretty much been the worst gen for jrpgs in all the time they've existed), PC gamers would be able to play them anyway.

every time a humble bundle comes out, linux users donate the most money. know why? because computer nerds are rolling in the dough; they can definitely afford all the consoles they want, but they prefer to stick to a pc with windows 7 on one partition and linux on another. so you know they've played both wrpgs and jrpgs, but they prefer wrpgs because they know that wrpgs are better.

please don't assume that just because a person play on the pc that they're rich. PC gaming can be pretty cheap if you know what your doing. Especially with steam sales.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#100-Damien-Posted 11/30/2012 3:25:29 PM
daddydivine posted...
Pretty sure if you asked this on the 360 boards they'd say WRPG's. Both can be great.

I did a few months back

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927749-xbox-360/63628023

JRPG still won