This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Squareenix killed Cavia.

#1Devil875Posted 11/30/2012 10:40:15 AM
I know this is old news. But don't you agree?
Squareenix does so little or none advertisement at all to the games they publish.
Example: I didn't know the new Hitman was coming up until it came out.

Another one is Nier, the last game from Cavia. I had no idea it existed until about a year ago or less, after Cavia was disbanded. And Nier is a great game, one of my favorites of this generation, many people love it too. I'm just saying, games published by Squareenix could sell a lot more with some advertisement. And Cavia would probably be still making games.
---
Silver friend code: 3696 2232 7604
White friend code: 1162 9145 3958
#2RayconPosted 11/30/2012 10:41:33 AM
Devil875 posted...
I know this is old news. But don't you agree?
Squareenix does so little or none advertisement at all to the games they publish.
Example: I didn't know the new Hitman was coming up until it came out.

Another one is Nier, the last game from Cavia. I had no idea it existed until about a year ago or less, after Cavia was disbanded. And Nier is a great game, one of my favorites of this generation, many people love it too. I'm just saying, games published by Squareenix could sell a lot more with some advertisement. And Cavia would probably be still making games.

Eh, I don't know. Nier really seemed to be targeting a niche crowd to begin with... I'm not sure if marketing would have made a huge difference...
---
"'Devil May Cry' reboot to run at 30FPS but feel like 60FPS"- Ninja Theory
Hahaha, I'll only pay $30 but it will feel like $60!- Flareth
#3AlltraPosted 11/30/2012 10:51:24 AM
Tales games tend to prove that you can market properly, even to a niche audience, and still be successful.
---
Math problems are the ultimate trick question. No matter how straight forward and simple they seem, the answer is never what you think it is.
#4NCPwnPosted 11/30/2012 10:56:47 AM
Yea, Nier is favorite game of all time. That's saying much since it dethroned a lot of zelda games for me.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#5Devil875(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 10:57:49 AM
I believe marketing makes a huge difference. Maybe because I work on that and see that happen many times.

An example is Assassin's Creed. The first game got so much advertisement, and well made advertisement that many people bought the game without even trying it before. To me and to many other people that bought it that was a way boring game. Still is actually, the gameplay is really bad, but anyways. They have improved it.
Other exaples are the new Batman games. We know those games are only selling because of Batman, take the Batman away and those are just generic crappy games. And Nintendo consoles... I won't get there.

When you advertise and sell an idea to the people, like Nintendo does, you usually sell a lot more.
---
Silver friend code: 3696 2232 7604
White friend code: 1162 9145 3958
#6SayoriaPosted 11/30/2012 11:02:17 AM
This day and age, marketing with anything that says "Square Enix" is pretty gutsy.
---
Sailor Moon returns 2013! O_o
#7TiaelPosted 11/30/2012 11:03:32 AM
Their title they were working on after Nier killed them personally, Catacombs didn't look nor sound too hot, was a team shooter RPG.
---
Ni no Kuni - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUPIPBDA-I
Dragon Quest > Tales of > Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all three. Da Bears!
#8RayconPosted 11/30/2012 11:03:56 AM
Alltra posted...
Tales games tend to prove that you can market properly, even to a niche audience, and still be successful.

Yeah, maybe... I just don't think Nier's combat would have drawn a whole lot of attention. I think it would be a lie to say the game didn't have flaws... Pretty much all around amazing at everything else though.
---
"'Devil May Cry' reboot to run at 30FPS but feel like 60FPS"- Ninja Theory
Hahaha, I'll only pay $30 but it will feel like $60!- Flareth
#9AlltraPosted 11/30/2012 11:05:04 AM
It's hard for me to really get the whole concept of "Marketing" considering I visit the internet all the time. There's honestly not a hell of a lot of games that go unnoticed on these forums. Word of mouth is more than enough for me to find out about a game, and then I go look up game trailers and other news reports about the game.

One could argue that any form of released information could be construed as "Advertisement", even if it wasn't intended as such.
---
Math problems are the ultimate trick question. No matter how straight forward and simple they seem, the answer is never what you think it is.
#10RPG maniac87Posted 11/30/2012 11:09:47 AM
I don't know if I'd include Tales as an example of good marketing.
They just have a fairly sizable fanbase at this point.
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)