This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think PS4 will still have free online play?

#1SuddenEmotionPosted 12/1/2012 12:46:15 PM
Im sure it will have PS+ in some way i just hope it wont go to ONLY ps+ and still let us that choose not to pay to play our games online for free.
---
"My skill level is directly proportional to my THC level"
#2NE_PatriotsFanPosted 12/1/2012 12:54:49 PM(edited)
Free online is seriously in my top 3 reasons of why i chose ps3 over xbox 360. So if sony knows whats good for em, they better have free online.

Seriously though, who actually pays to play online besides those xbros who think they "get what they pay for". Ive owned both systems, and i play online games on steam. All of my experiences have been the exact same. The only difference is xbox live charges money, and fools actually pay.

No free online, ill just stick with steam and pc gaming.
---
It's funny how we give thanks for all that we have on Thanksgiving Day and then the next day go out and act like a bunch of materialistic idiots.
#3SuddenEmotion(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2012 12:56:02 PM
You know i think back to 2006 and them hyping up the ps3 about the blu-ray and everything i swear they should have focused MORE on the free online because alot of people probably werent even aware of that until hooking up there system.

It is a huge deal to alot of people.
---
"My skill level is directly proportional to my THC level"
#4PhoenixmgsPosted 12/1/2012 1:07:18 PM(edited)
I won't buy any system that charges for online. Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo/Valve/etc. is not incurring any costs when you play a game online. The publisher/developer runs the game servers, you payed your right to play online when you bought the game. Charging for online play is literally a scam, MMOs don't even charge anymore. You're an idiot if you pay money to play any game online that doesn't at least have dedicated servers (that costs money to run and maintain). Running the store actually costs money (all of that content stored on hard drives and backed up too plus the bandwidth required to allow millions of users to download the same thing at the same time), but Sony or Microsoft isn't going to charge you for that because they want everyone to have access to the store so they sell more things.
---
"Half of writing history is hiding the truth" - Malcolm Reynolds - Serenity
#5Kaiser499Posted 12/1/2012 1:05:23 PM
Gotta agree, the free online is way I play my PS3 90% of the time and why most of my games are for it. The other consoles I only buy the exclusives for.
---
SoulSilver FC: 0690 2997 3274
Black FC: 0175 0805 7418
#6hockeybub89Posted 12/1/2012 1:06:37 PM(edited)
There's is no reason you should have to pay for online. These aren't MMOs. But if everyone did it, I would deal with it. I like video games too much to stop playing them out of spite.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica
#7DisturbedIconPosted 12/1/2012 1:07:52 PM
I can see Sony doing it. Why not? They're a company out to make a profit for investors.

They likely see Microsoft raking in all that Xbox Live Gold money and figure they can do it too.

Come on do people really believe major corporations do things out of the kindness of their heart? They started this gen with a free online service, they didn't want to risk the backlash of then forcing people to pay to play. They introduced PS+ as a sign of what's to come, to get people into it. And PS+ seems like an awesome service as well that I'm probably going to get next year.

It'd be smart business for them to do it, because while they still may receive backlash for doing it next gen it won't be as bad as it would've been had they started it half way through the current cycle.
---
Disturbing GameFAQs since 2002...
GamerTag:
Rah514/ PSN: Rah-514
#8AlltraPosted 12/1/2012 1:12:17 PM
I can't see it happening. Just another reason I'm not looking forward to next generation.
---
Saying something has "Charm" is just a cute way of saying it's lighthearted and kiddy.
#9JahkeemyorkPosted 12/1/2012 1:16:36 PM
It won't happen. It really won't.

If you look at everything in the history of life. Outside of mobile phones (But that's cause they use their own online connection). The Iphone/itouch, computers, steam service, Nintendo, Sega (Back when they were in the console business) EA (With Origin), and Sony have all been free online services. Microsoft has been the ONLY company charging to play online game with friends. I doubt Sony would want to risk a lot of sales fora few more extra bucks.

Especially since Steam has gone from "what isthis" to over millions and millions of users on the PC. If Steam and WiiU become the only free to play online games welll..yeah.
#10Devilman_AmonPosted 12/1/2012 1:18:24 PM
DisturbedIcon posted...
I can see Sony doing it. Why not? They're a company out to make a profit for investors.

They likely see Microsoft raking in all that Xbox Live Gold money and figure they can do it too.

Come on do people really believe major corporations do things out of the kindness of their heart? They started this gen with a free online service, they didn't want to risk the backlash of then forcing people to pay to play. They introduced PS+ as a sign of what's to come, to get people into it. And PS+ seems like an awesome service as well that I'm probably going to get next year.

It'd be smart business for them to do it, because while they still may receive backlash for doing it next gen it won't be as bad as it would've been had they started it half way through the current cycle.

Its not about kindness its about offering something that the competitor isn't offering. You're still going to net a profit by other means as they are doing now. It's an incentive. The people that bought the 360's don't have a choice. You wanna play online? Well **** you, you have to pay.
You wanna play online on the PS3? Well sure here you go; that's our incentive to you that our competitor is not offering. Oh and just in case you do want to pay for extra, here's PS+
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)