This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS3 is the only console i can remember where the graphics got worse towards

#1SophisticationPosted 12/1/2012 11:40:35 PM
the end of its life cycle...

I think 3d is the biggest contributor, but now with all their big games being cross play with vita I gotta start factoring that into the mix, too.

In previous generations the sequels, reguardless if they were better games, always looked better graphically than their predicessors.

Take God of war 1 and God of war 2... No comparison here. GOW 2 smokes its rectum and rotates it twice.

Now take Killzone 2 and Killzone 3... Killzone 2 looks much, much better. It has smoother aliasing, the textures while muted are still more high quality. Killzone 3 suffers from lower texture fidelity and horrible aliasing. I have to factor in the 3d here, too. If it wasn't for 3d it'd have probably looked better than Killzone 2.

Resistance 2 and Resistance 2... Same thing. R2 looks much better than R3 and I can only assume it's one of two things -- Insomniac just simply doesn't know what they're doing or 3d is hampering the Ps3's power.

Uncharted 2 an Uncharted 3 -- No brainer here. U2 is vastly superior in almost every area. The aliasing is smoother. the lighting effects better. The textures and detail worlds beyond that of Uncharted 3 and the water is like Ps2 to Ps1 quality.

R&C FTOD and R&C ACIT -- This one can't be blamed on 3d, only Insomniac's skills and talents. R&CFTOD ran at 60fps and had the best aliasing known to consoles... The textures and colors popped and everything was seamless. What happened in ACIT? The games frame-rate was dropped to 30fps and the aliasing got 3 to 4 times worse and the textures got even more muddy. Why?

Recently Vita cross play has come into focus and that brings up a whole new argument all together as to if it is holding back Ps3 development or not... From a graphics and on screen capability factor only. Me, personally, feel Sly 4 and PSASBR and other cross play games look weak and are absolutely not taking advantage of the cell and Ps3 hardware.

When I look back at this gen -- It bugs me that all the highlights came early on I guess. The graphics and gameplay didn't get better every year -- It got worse. That bugs me and makes me question the PS4's capabilities even more.

What about you all? Any of you feel the games just aren't stacking up to the bar raised by their earlier installments?
---
As a sophisticated gamer with a sophisticated taste I am here to represent my fellow, like minded, Sophistocrats -- You're welcome.
#2Jx1010Posted 12/1/2012 11:42:56 PM
Im enjoying JRPGs
---
''\__/''
l='_'=l
#3king_maddenPosted 12/1/2012 11:48:00 PM
I just play the games, I dont really think about all this other nonsense.

maybe one day when im sophisticated enough to sit around all day making topics on gamefaqs and playing games next to each other to compare graphics and textures, then i will understand.

untl then however im stuck just having fun playing games.
#4Sophistication(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2012 11:57:23 PM
king_madden posted...

maybe one day when im sophisticated enough to sit around all day making topics on gamefaqs and playing games next to each other to compare graphics and textures, then i will understand.

It has to be a sophistication thing... if the sequel doesn't look as good or better than the previous entry I can't enjoy it. Just can't. I only go foward. There is no reverse in this sophistocrats ride. I got to have teh grafx man. Abd anyone who says graphics don't matter is a liar... yeah, a liar... a liar...
---
As a sophisticated gamer with a sophisticated taste I am here to represent my fellow, like minded, Sophistocrats -- You're welcome.
#5Ninja4HPosted 12/1/2012 11:59:23 PM
This board makes me want to vomit crap out my nose sometimes...
---
"Riding the Lightning"
PSN - VoodooPimp138 {-} MGO - thelastninja
#6Jx1010Posted 12/2/2012 12:02:18 AM
Ninja4H posted...

that might hurt
but it might happen if u get wasted
---
''\__/''
l='_'=l
#7Sophistication(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2012 12:03:36 AM
Ninja4H posted...

Sounds like an unsophisticated self inflicted sympathy grab.
---
#8ff12detactionPosted 12/2/2012 1:42:22 AM
The only series I agree with here is Ratchet and clank. It bothered me immensely that ACIT looked so much worse than the 1st game. ACIT looks so pixelated, blurry, and just a mess in general.
#9XylymphydytePosted 12/2/2012 1:45:39 AM
GOW 2 smokes its rectum and rotates it twice.

Ladies and gentleman: Sophistication.
#10darkness1018Posted 12/2/2012 1:49:11 AM
Sophistication posted...
king_madden posted...

It has to be a sophistication thing... if the sequel doesn't look as good or better than the previous entry I can't enjoy it. Just can't. I only go foward. There is no reverse in this sophistocrats ride. I got to have teh grafx man. Abd anyone who says graphics don't matter is a liar... yeah, a liar... a liar...

Graphics dont matter to me. Never have and never will. I play games for fun and story, not cause they look pretty.
---
PSN-nightwing2099
Systems Owned- PS3, PSP, PSV, 3DS XL, GC, DC, N64, Xbox(original)