This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What does Sony need to do to win next generation with gaming?

#21MurphysLawPosted 12/2/2012 4:39:28 PM
Winning is more than just sheer numbers. What Sony needs to do is work more with game designers so they don't come to the same frustrations in creating games. What we saw was a huge learning curve that resulted in game delays for 1st party studios and multiplat games often being inferior to older and cheaper technology (the Xbox 360).

Sony also needs to address the application and operating features within the XMB and how the system connects with other Sony devices. What we need is something like IOS devices that share a common theme and work well with one another.

Last and certainly not least is have the Playstation brand focus on the gaming aspects and not have some new format to sell other products like televisions, which results in higher production costs.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFB94Nh0gyE
My original name is now available but I'm still a schphinkter
#22thisranksPosted 12/2/2012 4:45:32 PM
Hope that the mentality of the me gamers and regionally challenged wake the F*** up and remember what gaming is really about while getting the developers back to making full games with DLC only being content that adds to a game instead of the have to to have to finish the game or trophy list stuff some of it is never mind online passes.

They need to make the PS4 more developer friendly.

Last but not least if they are going to allows servers for games to be shut down they need to rethink how MP trophies should work. If a game that has MP trophies is still being sold 3-4 years later the person who purchased it should have a chance to complete that list. If it's listed on the game box it seems to me that it's false advertising.

Sadly i see neither happening and fully expect that next gen will be the death knell of more development teams. It will be a mix of the above that devastates the gaming community. I wouldn't be surprised to see next gen be the last for the console market.
---
Elf this....Elf that....I'll Elf your mother.
Yuki Nagato FTW
#23TomoEK9Posted 12/2/2012 5:38:40 PM
thisranks posted...
Hope that the mentality of the me gamers and regionally challenged wake the F*** up and remember what gaming is really about while getting the developers back to making full games with DLC only being content that adds to a game instead of the have to to have to finish the game or trophy list stuff some of it is never mind online passes.

Last but not least if they are going to allows servers for games to be shut down they need to rethink how MP trophies should work. If a game that has MP trophies is still being sold 3-4 years later the person who purchased it should have a chance to complete that list. If it's listed on the game box it seems to me that it's false advertising.

These two things you mentioned are more a developer issue and not an issue with Sony. These aren't Sony's choices to make nor are they going to help Sony do better with their next gen console.

Sony needs to make their consoles easier to work with. the PS3 was a powerhouse of a console but no dev ever bothered tapping that potential because it was way too difficult to do.

They also need to reach into their own back catalogue more for digital releases. The PS2 and PS1 had a bunch of memorable games and allowing people to play them again would do wonders for sales.

Sony also needs to be more pro-active with their relationship with other companies like Microsoft. MS is willing to throw money at devs to gain little bonuses and time-exclusives.

MS has Live to pay for things like that and Sony needs to promote PS+ more and offer more for the service than just free games and discounts but at the same time they shouldn't strip down the free side in order to make PS+ more appealing.
#24OfficerTJHookaPosted 12/2/2012 5:51:24 PM
remake the PS2