This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is dark souls a WRPG or JRPG

#81-Damien-Posted 12/3/2012 5:53:29 PM
AXKSION posted...
No matter what the trolls say does not change the fact that both D Souls games are WRPGs, since they are like WRPGs.

Also, Final Fantasy 9 was made in Hawaii, part of the western nation of the US of A, but is still a JRPG since it resembles the style of JRPG. Tons of ignorant people in this topic and on gamefaqs.

D Souls = WRPG

deal with it

Demon's/Dark Souls are JRPG. Deal with it
#82SomeMacGuyPosted 12/3/2012 6:01:36 PM
it's technically a JRPG since it was created in japan, but it was designed to play like a WRPG
---
Maximum Payload, INFINITY! Currently playing GGPO
#83AXKSIONPosted 12/3/2012 6:08:29 PM
SomeMacGuy posted...
it's technically a JRPG since it was created in japan, but it was designed to play like a WRPG

Final Fantasy 9 is technically a WRPG since it was created in Hawaii (Hawaii is a US state), but it was designed to play like a JRPG.

-Damien- posted...

Nope, you're just wrong, which is no surprise since you think DmC is good.

userfrigginame posted...
Oh, and FFIX was developed by Square, a Japanese video game company.

Sorry but lots of narrow minded people here think that just because a game was made in a certain place magically changes its genre. Sorry but games are categorized into genres and subgenres by what they are like, not where they are made.

HIroChu posted...
Wasn't final fantasy 9 developed by a japanese team though?

Doesn't matter since many people here only care about where it's made, not by whom.
---
http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s574/akxsion/Nintendo.png http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s574/akxsion/SMRPG.jpg
#84zUkUuPosted 12/3/2012 6:18:55 PM
zUkUu posted...
JRPG - WRPG are only used to mark the origin of the game, but since that often influences the playstayle, and many have similar traits, it got connected with a few characteristics.

Dark Souls has neither of them really, but it would be more a WRPG then a JRPG if you speak of the characteristics - obviously it's a JRPG if you speak of the origin.

geez, people. W/JRPG can refer to certain traits AND/OR mark the origin of the game. some think it's the first, some the latter. any smart person can see that.

In that sense, it's a JRPG (origin) with a WRPG (characteristic) influence. The genre itself is that of an A-RPG, which we should settle on.
#85zyrax2301Posted 12/3/2012 6:21:56 PM
There is no way these games are like WRPGs at all. WRPGs all have you constantly pausing gameplay to micro-manage your stuff and your tactics, then you're back into the action where your team and your pre-selected skills do the work for you.

DEMON'S SOULS HAS NO PAUSE.

So it's not a WRPG. It's an Action RPG and they have no continental allegiance.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#86Chaos_MissilePosted 12/3/2012 6:24:10 PM
toastedmuffin89 posted...
Chaos_Missile posted...
*reads topic*

Look at all the young'uns....forgetting that most Western RPGs are Western RPGs because they all follow the Dungeons and Dragons rules

Have none realise that no Western RPG is truly turn-based and generally feel like you're playing Baldur's Gate, Arcanum or Neverwinter Nights? With (hidden) dice rolls and what not? All, if not most, Western RPGs have roots in tabletop games.

Just because a game has a turn based combat system doesn't automatically make it a JRPG.

Do note I said NOTHING about turn-based combat denoting JRPGs.

KotOR, Baldur's Gate and Arcanum all have turn-based combat as well regardless of what the game would like you to think. In addition, I will not be surprised if Bioshock (never played it before) also has it. WoW is also turn-based.

What makes a Western RPG different from a JRPG is the fact that most Western RPGs conform to the DnD rules.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#87-Damien-Posted 12/3/2012 6:27:34 PM
AXKSION posted...
SomeMacGuy posted...

Final Fantasy 9 is technically a WRPG since it was created in Hawaii (Hawaii is a US state), but it was designed to play like a JRPG.

-Damien- posted...

Nope, you're just wrong, which is no surprise since you think DmC is good.

userfrigginame posted...
Oh, and FFIX was developed by Square, a Japanese video game company.

Sorry but lots of narrow minded people here think that just because a game was made in a certain place magically changes its genre. Sorry but games are categorized into genres and subgenres by what they are like, not where they are made.

HIroChu posted...
Wasn't final fantasy 9 developed by a japanese team though?

Doesn't matter since many people here only care about where it's made, not by whom.

It's where it's made AND by whom. There!

Dark Souls = RPG made by Japanese = JRPG
#88agrissaPosted 12/3/2012 6:29:47 PM
You guys either define JRPG/WRPG by WHERE the game is made, or HOW the game plays. But actually WHO made the game is more important because it's the ppl, not the place, that influence what the game ends up being. This is the best, most objective way of defining it. Defining it according to "style" would be purely subjective.

So FFIX is a JRPG because it's made by Japanese ppl. The fact that it's made in Hawaii is irrelevant. It could be made in Egypt, and it would still be a JRPG, not an African RPG.

So Demon's/Dark Souls is a JRPG in my books.
---
I had faith in humanity until I discovered Internet Message Boards.
#89toastedmuffin89(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 10:11:04 PM
JRPG is beating WRPG and neither put together.

Guys I think its safe to say a general consensus of the gaming community agrees that dark souls is a JRPG.

At this point with the polls so one sided, I'm done refuting this discussion any further.
#90NeoGeoXSegaPosted 12/3/2012 10:25:46 PM
It's based on where the game was developed, not how it plays. You people...

No!
There have been anime styled & based games developed by Eastern Europe developers. They are still considered Japanese games.

Dark Souls doesn't play or look like anything resembling the JRPG genre games that are coming out & have been put out period!
---
"gone are the days of creativity, and playing japanese games because you secretly wish you were japanese" -CinisterX