This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anybody else rather disturbed by the lack of adults in upcoming Japan games?

#21OtakuGameraPosted 12/3/2012 12:17:56 PM
sure would be nice if you can give us a comparison list cause in my mind right now, i can think of 20-40 japanese games with full grown up adults.
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/64767381
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg
#22StarGoyPosted 12/3/2012 12:35:14 PM
All I'd like is for Japanese developers to be proud of their ethnicity. Their film industry is full good ideas and Japanese people. Action movies, Sci Fi, horror, crime stories set in Japan. Yet you almost never see even a hint of anything, but anime influence laced over Western features.

If they're gonna make children's stories, fine. Take some influence from Spielberg or something. Make it good.
#23majin nemesisPosted 12/3/2012 12:36:08 PM
Pereb27 posted...
“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis

---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage
#24zUkUuPosted 12/3/2012 12:38:50 PM
I hate the stagnating in the j-rpg genre as well. it's baffling how they barely produce any mature games over there. I don't want to play the same character / personalities again and again and again in the same stories with the same problems and same topics. I just want more diversity.
#25RPG maniac87Posted 12/4/2012 8:42:53 AM
zUkUu posted...
I don't want to play the same character / personalities again and again and again in the same stories with the same problems and same topics.

You may not, but lots of other people do. If they felt the same way as you no one would buy a WRPG.
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)
#26zUkUuPosted 12/4/2012 8:50:59 AM
RPG maniac87 posted...
zUkUu posted...
I don't want to play the same character / personalities again and again and again in the same stories with the same problems and same topics.

You may not, but lots of other people do. If they felt the same way as you no one would buy a WRPG.

Thing is, it's my favorite genre, thus I've played the vast majority of the games. More diversity is simply needed - not in terms of playstyle, concept or anything, but for characters and storylines. There are a few, but way to few to make up for the flood of blandness I see so often.
#27RPG maniac87Posted 12/4/2012 11:31:30 AM
To each their own. It's my favorite genre too. I've finished 347 of them.
Pretty much all of the big series (Wild Arms, Suikoden, Breath of Fire, FF, DQ, .hack, Grandia...) and plenty of obscure ones like Live a Live and Secret of the Stars. There's not one character that I felt was identical to another. They each have differences that make them special.
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)
#28velvet_hammerPosted 12/4/2012 11:35:48 AM
TheWarHorse posted...
Absolutely. It's f***ing sick the way they focus on kids in their games.. write dumb little love stories around them and then sexualize the hell out of them. That loli garbage should be outlawed and people that buy that nonsense should be automatically flagged by the feds as a potential sex predator. Anybody that enjoys that crap has issues.

---
"The purpose of life, is a life with a purpose. So I'd rather die for a cause, than live a life that is worthless!!" Immortal Technique
#29Willie_MakeitPosted 12/4/2012 11:41:36 AM
That's why I stick with the older games from the PSOne/PS2 era. The stuff these days pretty much sucks.
#30AlltraPosted 12/4/2012 11:50:09 AM(edited)
I'm more annoyed at the fact that the few adults that are present act like little kids. The few people in an RPG that I actually could relate to as an adult, I end up not being able to relate to because they act so childishly.

Not that I can't relate to teenagers and younger kids, but I do so from the perspective of an adult, and the things they do are cringeworthy. Their attitudes and sensibilities are cringeworthy. I did all the same damn stuff, but it's like, damn dude, I was an idiot as a kid.
---
Saying something has "Charm" is just a cute way of saying it's lighthearted and kiddy.