This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Holy crap I think my LCD HDTV supports RGB full and I never knew it until now.

#1BlueSkies7776Posted 12/3/2012 12:46:01 PM
I had always seen that setting in my TV's connection settings where it says "HDMI Black level" and I can choose "Normal" or " Low". While my PS3 is on I can change these settings. I never knew what the hell it was for so I just left it at the default setting which is "Low".

So I just read in another forum that this is the setting for RGB Full or Limited. So if I set my TV to HDMI Black Level Medium, and then set my PS3 to "RGB Full" I should get a better picture in terms of brightness and black levels right??
---
My good movie of the week: "Coraline"
Game of the month: Heavy Rain (PS3)
#2archizzyPosted 12/3/2012 1:11:30 PM
No.

A tv expecting PC levels and receiving PC levels will be the same calibrated as a tv expecting video levels and receiving video levels.

The PS3 simply remaps the values when choosing PC or video levels.

Secondly if you use your tv for any normal movie/video content you will need separate settings as your tv would be calibrated for PC levels and everything would be off on video level content and you would be getting black crush to which people think is a better picture.

Lastly this really only applies to people who actually care about proper calibration. If you use out of the box tv modes then at the end of the day little of this matters.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#3Shadow CloudPosted 12/3/2012 1:23:15 PM
archizzy laying the smackdown with his knowledge of home theater and HDTV once again.
#4BlueSkies7776(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 1:28:13 PM
archizzy, so then what is the point of having these settings on your TV or PS3? Is it for people who want to hook up their PS3 to a PC, or to hook up a PC to your HDTV? I don't get it.
---
#5archizzyPosted 12/3/2012 1:36:23 PM
BlueSkies7776 posted...
archizzy, so then what is the point of having these settings on your TV or PS3? Is it for people who want to hook up their PS3 to a PC, or to hook up a PC to your HDTV? I don't get it.

It is on tvs because in the modern flat panel era many people hook up PC's to tvs. It is why so many tvs have a specific HDMI/DVI input labeled as "PC" and often have different processing circuitry on how they handle signals.

Many people hook PS3's up to monitors.

The term limited and full confuses the average person when they should really just be labeled video and PC levels. 16 to 235 for video. 0 to 255 for PC. However even in a native video range it is possible to have BTB and WTW data as long as no component in the chain clips the signal.

The end result though is not a "better picture" on one over the other. If properly calibrated each one should yield the same picture though I'm sure there are some exceptions on certain equipment.

The thing you want to avoid is mixing and matching. Sending PC levels to something expecting video levels or vice versa. This leads to black crush and other colors being off that people perceive as more "pop" and "vivid" colors though it is really nothing more than inaccuracy.

And really, if you are using out of the box tv settings it is all a moot point. If you are using some jacked up backlight on some terrible setting like vivid with cool color temps you don't have any color accuracy anyway along with poor gamma, grayscale, so on and so on.

While it may appear to look better to some people on the naked eye it is because they don't understand what is happening and why it is happening and if they calibrated their tv properly in the first place they would have far better results than simply toggling a PC/video level control.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#6BlueSkies7776(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 1:42:55 PM
Alright, so I'll leave my TV set to HDMI Black Level low and my PS3 to RGB Limited.
---
#7tigerex777Posted 12/3/2012 1:47:11 PM
Alright, so I'll leave my TV set to HDMI Black Level low and my PS3 to RGB Limited.

yeah, just leave it to RGB limited and black level on low, that's how it is on my TV and PS3 and that's how it looks the best.
---
i5 760 @ 3.8ghz / 4GB DDR3 Ripjaws / GTX 460 SLI @ 800/2000 / Cooler Master GX 750W PSU / Cooler Master Advance II case / Acer 22 1680x1050 / Windows 7 64