This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Lets talk Tv's

#41archizzyPosted 12/4/2012 10:42:21 AM(edited)
secondhand1 posted...
killak posted...
I just noticed that Arch mentioned my TV like the champ he is.

I'm speaking of course of the LN46A950, which in Australia is branded as LA46A950

Damn thing demands to be calibrated, otherwise you just wasted 4 grand

But what he didn't do - and consistently fails to - is mention the LH90 from LG in the same breadth as the 8500. Both 2009, both flagship local dimming sets. And while the Sammy is arguably the better of the two from a performance perspective, factoring in value - the LG came in about 2 grand less - and assuming a professional-ish calibration, that's a Pepsi challenge one should be willing to take.

I'll let it slide this time ;-)

Hah I was going to put (LAA950 for Killak) but didn't.

As for not mentioning the LH90 it is because my posts are already long winded enough and I doubt most people even read them, or care about them, or understand the model numbers anyway. I use Sony and Samsung a lot just because they are more known on this board the the model may trigger something in people.

However as for the LG, sure I think it was a good panel but I don't think they truly knocked it out of the park until the LX9500 (LE8500 for non 3D version) in 2010. The big goof on the LH90 was not separating anti-judder/blur stuff from Tru-Motion. It was all or nothing. Either choose to have 300 to 400 lines of resolution with everything off or get that hideous SOE. Plus it was "meh" on blooming when it came to the toughest tests.

As a side note this is the only time I have ever seen two identical flagship displays where one was 3D and one was not. That really is the only difference between the LX9500 and the LE8500. Also the 3D was rated the worst out of all major displays on the LX9500 so you would think might as well get the LE8500 right?

Funny thing is the LX9500 was cheaper. At one point I saw places still charging full MSRP on the LE8500 while the LX9500 could be had for almost $2,000 cheaper. Crazy.

However in the spirit of the pepsi challenge if we are talking value here the MSRP of the 55 inch LH90 was $3,000 while a 54 inch Panasonic V10 was $2,700.

Street prices dropped quickly on the LH90 but at the ond of the day I could still find a cheaper price on a V10.

Remember this is coming off the 2008 year where LCDs broke the 52 inch barrier for the first time so there was always a premium on the highest size. 55 was the highest size for the LG models where as 54 was behind both the 58 and the 65 inch V10. So it was priced modestly.

Anyhow, I'm babbling. I have nothing against the LH90.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#42QuasherPosted 12/4/2012 11:10:19 AM(edited)
However you have other issues as well if SD looks sharper.

Is it so odd? I've found Call of Duty games to look "sharper" in some areas graphically on an SDTV because there's no softness from extra upscaling going on. With a 1080p HDTV at 0 Sharpness/Edge Enhancement, the upscaling of the game's 1024x600 resolution looks both more detailed compared to the SDTV image, yet softer in appearance at the same time.
---
cats are OK - purrr
dogs are OK - wooof
#43Ghost_Reaper7Posted 12/4/2012 11:15:15 AM
Quasher posted...

Is it so odd? I've found Call of Duty games to look "sharper" in some areas graphically on an SDTV because there's no softness from extra upscaling going on. With a 1080p HDTV at 0 Sharpness/Edge Enhancement, the upscaling of the game's 1024x600 resolution looks both more detailed compared to the SDTV image, yet softer in appearance at the same time.

Tbh graphics look a little better on my SDTV. I agree^

i play on my 32inch hdtv because its bigger then my 24 inch tv

And i agree TC my Hd has a blurr in the background. I have a LCD Samsung 32 inch. Doesnt bother me though. Its not that blurry.
---
The Walking Dead Season 1, Oct 31st 2010 on AMC!!
#44archizzyPosted 12/4/2012 11:20:20 AM
Quasher posted...

Look at this sharpness setting on his tvs. His comparisons are baseless as well as wrong on a gigantic scale.

On calibrated sets I have never seen a SD set look sharper than HD. Sure maybe in some cases with out of the box settings or some crazy "personal taste settings" that use torch mode, and every other wrong setting.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#45justchill433Posted 12/4/2012 11:23:07 AM
Quasher posted...

And i agree TC my Hd has a blurr in the background. I have a LCD Samsung 32 inch. Doesnt bother me though. Its not that blurry.

You guys are literally blind then if you really think that. I was recently just forced to go back to SD for a day and it was bad. Text was unreadable, a ton of detail was lost, jaggies up the yin-yang, etc...
---
PSN: s1l3nt_x_cha0s GT: xziT4L3NTZx
*slips of cliff*
#46SerOnionKnightPosted 12/4/2012 11:23:48 AM
InB4 we realize TC's set is an Emerson, Westinghouse, or Sanyo.
#47Ghost_Reaper7Posted 12/4/2012 11:26:43 AM
Are my settings good?

Backlight 6
Contrast 82
Brightness 56
Sharpness 70
Color 54

I have samsung
---
The Walking Dead Season 1, Oct 31st 2010 on AMC!!
#48Slayer7861(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 11:28:24 AM
SerOnionKnight posted...
InB4 we realize TC's set is an Emerson, Westinghouse, or Sanyo.

I have a Samsung 46" 1080p HDTV
---
Currently Playing: Black ops II, Hitman: Absolution
Waiting for: Far Cry 3 - Current Console: Playstation 3
#49Slayer7861(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 11:33:38 AM
justchill433 posted...
Quasher posted...

You guys are literally blind then if you really think that. I was recently just forced to go back to SD for a day and it was bad. Text was unreadable, a ton of detail was lost, jaggies up the yin-yang, etc...

Text is horrible!!!, On my Sdtv an some words are cut off for some games
---
Currently Playing: Black ops II, Hitman: Absolution
Waiting for: Far Cry 3 - Current Console: Playstation 3
#50BlueSkies7776Posted 12/4/2012 11:50:39 AM
Oh wow, perfect topic for something I wanted to post. I'd have my HDTV for almost five years now, it's a Samsung 32" LCD 720p and I like it a lot, but one problem has been creeping up with the picture display. Basically there is some discoloration happening on the borders of my screen display. Against a grey or low color backround there will be a blue/purple-ish color hue around the border of the screen display.

A couple of years ago I started to notice it, but it was so slight that I could just ignore it. But now it seems like it is getting worse. So I'm having thoughts of buying a new HDTV but the problem doesn't seem big enough for me to warrant buying a new set. But on the other hand the problem is big enough to be distracting and annoying.

The thing is, if the picture being displayed is bright and colorful then the discoloration is not there, or at least I can't see it. So sometimes I forget about and think "gah, the problem isn't really there, no need to buy a new HDTV." But then sure enough, the next day I'll be playing a game or watching a movie and I'll see it again really bad.

So if anyone can tell me what's going on or if there are similar or common problems like this with HDTV's maybe it will be helpful for me to make a decision on whether to buy a new TV or not.
---
My good movie of the week: "Coraline"
Game of the month: Heavy Rain (PS3)