This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Never Played Tales of... before

#1rswsc0407Posted 12/3/2012 8:02:09 PM
I've heard great things about the games and the battle system etc and I was interested in playing them and I was wondering what your guys opinions of which one I should play first?
---
Red Sox World Series Champions 2004 & 2007= My ID. PSN ID- rswsc0407
#2phantomblade220Posted 12/3/2012 8:05:37 PM
I've played Tales of Graces F and Tales of the Abyss for the 3DS. I played both for like 28ish hours and then could not finish either of them. Same pattern for me with both games. Combat was a lot of fun. Story was garbage. So bad in fact that it prevented me from finishing Tales of Graces F even though I had so much fun fighting.

Just my two cents, but if your on the PS3 board you might as well start with Tales of Graces F. You'll definetely dig the combat system. The "friendship will save the world" plot will probably make you puke though.
#3ArronAubinPosted 12/3/2012 8:07:50 PM
If you can stomach a really lame, typical JRPG, they're fine. Combat is what you play the game for. The characters aren't really that great either. If you can, I suggest Abyss over any of the other titles. They're just shallow JRPG experiences in terms of characters and story. You can easily find something much better in the PS1 classics section.

They're not bad games by any means, but they aren't anything special either. My two cents.
#4ScreamingMidgetPosted 12/3/2012 8:09:07 PM
ArronAubin posted...
If you can stomach a really lame, typical JRPG

oooh, the ignorance
#5BeknessPosted 12/3/2012 8:10:14 PM
Vesperia is the best IMO
---
BB<3BB
Now I think my paragraph just out fished ur paragraph -Kammy
#6zUkUuPosted 12/3/2012 8:10:58 PM
GracesScreamingMidget posted...
ArronAubin posted...

oooh, the ignorance

I'm a huge (j)rpg fan, and even I think Graces was hard to endure due to all the clichéness and stereotypes. BUT it has the best fighting system of all traditional j-rpgs, really engaging and interesting.
#7ArronAubinPosted 12/3/2012 8:15:31 PM
ScreamingMidget posted...
ArronAubin posted...

oooh, the ignorance

Oohhhh someone has an opinion that isn't mine. They're ignorant.
#8Kage_AM2Posted 12/3/2012 8:16:24 PM
Tales of the Abyss is the best overall one and a great place to start to introduce you to the 3D Tales games.
#9Sand_FlarePosted 12/3/2012 8:19:12 PM
Well, What game consoles do you have?

If you have a PS2 or 3DS, I would highly recommend Tales of the Abyss to start.

Alternatively, Tales of Vesperia on the 360. Symphonia on the Gamecube would be an equally good choice. Symphonia is much more puzzle-based, if you're into that.

OR you could wait until next year for Tales of Xillia, but that requires patience.

I like Tales games, but even I have to admit that I lost motivation a ways into Graces. Personally, I wouldn't recommend that as a first shot at the series.
---
http://userdisk.webry.biglobe.ne.jp/022/401/85/N000/000/000/131012177682913204274.gif
#10GeminiX7Posted 12/3/2012 8:22:50 PM
Tales of Phantasia is still the only Tales for me >_>
---
"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."