This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you feel about Superbot's decision to..

#51servb0tsPosted 12/5/2012 11:54:51 AM
Its BS that free characters get a time limit. Should be free forever.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3
-PS3 FFXIV ARR 2.0 Day 1 Buy I can't wait to maxout Summoner
#52jammiesPosted 12/5/2012 11:58:08 AM
Sorry if asked, but don't have time to read. Do you have to own the game? Most games you don't, so can we download the free characters and get the game later?
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#53Bestia_SomniaPosted 12/5/2012 11:59:54 AM
servb0ts posted...
Its BS that free characters get a time limit. Should be free forever.

Seriously, people will complain about anything just for the sake of complaining.
#54ReDDevil2112Posted 12/5/2012 12:26:22 PM
ReDDevil2112 posted...
I dont know what the **** the second half of your post has to do with anything. Abusing copyright law? What does that have to do with DLC or the price of video games?

Because piracy and copyright law go hand in hand. There is this myth that if Sony wouldn't have to worry about piracy, Sony wouldn't need to add DLC or games would be cheaper, and that is simply not true. The PS3 is not as pirated as much, and the games are still $60 plus DLC content. The publishers and Sony are simply abusing copyright law because they control the distribution, and since no else can have access to a game unless they buy the game "legitimately", they can charge whatever they want. That wasn't the case in the previous generation because piracy was an option.

Also the Sony EULA that you agree to is backed up by the dmca law, a very draconian copyright law. The dmca makes it criminal offense to circumvent drm. For example if you are caught with a modded console, Sony will ban you from PSN, and you can't sue Sony over that because you violated the dmca.

Pricing and DLC has little to do with piracy and copyright.

Games are 60$ because they are expensive to produce. Online passes are there to help recoup the loss incurred by used game sales. DLC is a way to make more money without the work of developing an all-new game.

This has nothing to do with Sony and their policies. If it did, only Sony games would have things like DLC and online passes, and only Sony games would cost 60$. Yet none of that is true.

And your point about piracy, if im understanding it right, is ridiculous. Piracy was an "option"? Piracy is a crime. You know, you can still go out and rob a store somewhere if you really dont feel like paying. You make it sound like piracy was some boon to the game industry that forced developers to price games competitively. When if you look at the widely hacked PSP, it all but killed game development for the system later in its life. Is that really what you want? If you hack your Ps3 and Sony bans you from PSN, well that's the price you pay for stealing games. You dont have any right to complain. Sucks for people who want to hack for more legitimate reasons like homebrew and such, but that's the way it is. Sony's console, it's their right to pull your online access. But again, none of that has to do with game pricing and DLC.

The publishers and Sony are simply abusing copyright law because they control the distribution, and since no else can have access to a game unless they buy the game "legitimately", they can charge whatever they want.

I mean really, are you even reading what you write? Tell me how on earth creating a product and then selling it is "abusing copyright law". Im pretty sure that's exactly how things work. Pirating a game, that's breaking the law. Also, why do you have "legitimately" written with quotes around it? And if you hate the price so much, why dont you wait for a price drop, or borrow it from a friend, or just subscribe to GameFly and rent the game? Believe it or not, it is possible to play a game without pirating it.
---
Yo, ding-dong, man! Ding-dong! Ding-dong, yo!
#55LockDeltzPosted 12/5/2012 1:00:21 PM(edited)
ReDDevil2112 posted...
Pricing and DLC has little to do with piracy and copyright.

Games are 60$ because they are expensive to produce. Online passes are there to help recoup the loss incurred by used game sales. DLC is a way to make more money without the work of developing an all-new game.

This has nothing to do with Sony and their policies. If it did, only Sony games would have things like DLC and online passes, and only Sony games would cost 60$. Yet none of that is true.

And your point about piracy, if im understanding it right, is ridiculous. Piracy was an "option"? Piracy is a crime. You know, you can still go out and rob a store somewhere if you really dont feel like paying. You make it sound like piracy was some boon to the game industry that forced developers to price games competitively. When if you look at the widely hacked PSP, it all but killed game development for the system later in its life. Is that really what you want? If you hack your Ps3 and Sony bans you from PSN, well that's the price you pay for stealing games. You dont have any right to complain. Sucks for people who want to hack for more legitimate reasons like homebrew and such, but that's the way it is. Sony's console, it's their right to pull your online access. But again, none of that has to do with game pricing and DLC.

The publishers and Sony are simply abusing copyright law because they control the distribution, and since no else can have access to a game unless they buy the game "legitimately", they can charge whatever they want.

I mean really, are you even reading what you write? Tell me how on earth creating a product and then selling it is "abusing copyright law". Im pretty sure that's exactly how things work. Pirating a game, that's breaking the law. Also, why do you have "legitimately" written with quotes around it? And if you hate the price so much, why dont you wait for a price drop, or borrow it from a friend, or just subscribe to GameFly and rent the game? Believe it or not, it is possible to play a game without pirating it.

Piracy is only a crime if you are redistributing the copyrighted material, it's not really a crime just for personal use. Just think of all the kids with r4i carts for example, and all the kids with hacked PSPs. How is the PSP a failure because of piracy? The PSP sold over 70 million units world wide, it is a huge success despite piracy. If anything hacking the PSP made it more lucrative, and probably the PSP wouldn't be the success it is today if there was no piracy.

We'll have out disagreements about copyright law, I think can both agree that there is too much copyright. For example the DMCA should be repealed immediately, there is no use for it. As for the $60 video games, they are only expensive because Sony charges a licensing fee to developers, I don't know how much, but that isn't the case in PC platform which is why games are cheaper on the PC, they avoid many licensing fees.

Despite the cost for developing a video game they can lower the price. If Sony is concerned about the sales they need to lower the msrp price to at least $40, as the saying goes if something is cheaper more people will buy it. If a game cost $30 and later on they add $10 worth of DLC content, I wouldn't mind that, but they need to lower the price.
---
"Ha! They locked us up in a house made of candy." Gibari, Baten Kaitos
#56ChaoticKnucklesPosted 12/5/2012 1:00:44 PM
jammies posted...
Sorry if asked, but don't have time to read. Do you have to own the game? Most games you don't, so can we download the free characters and get the game later?

Yes we can. Which is why I don't understand all the complaining. They're free for everyone with a PS3 and a decent Internet connection for two weeks whether they own the game or not. And they put the news out at least a month (maybe more) before the DLC actually drops so that people know about it well in advance. And even if you don't have space on your system, you can add it to your download list and download it at a later date when you have more space or when you buy the game. Why people are throwing a tantrum about this is beyond me.
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#57AzureVergilPosted 12/5/2012 1:08:33 PM
carsauce posted...
Not fair for others who have to buy them in the future. I really hate DLC.

Can't you simply ''buy'' them when they are free so they stay in your Download List forever?
#58ReDDevil2112Posted 12/5/2012 1:12:18 PM
Piracy is only a crime if you are redistributing the copyrighted material, it's not really a crime just for personal use.

Yes, it is. The government isnt likely to track you down and crucify you for it because it's too widespread and would be difficult and expensive for them to do, but that doesnt mean it is legal. It is absolutely a crime.

How is the PSP a failure because of piracy? The PSP sold over 70 million units world wide, it is a huge success despite piracy. If anything hacking the PSP made it more lucrative, and probably the PSP wouldn't be the success it is today if there was no piracy.

Who said PSP was a failure? I said that game development died toward the end. And it did. Because a large amount of PSP owners pirated games and that scared off development. I've seen developers directly cite this as a reason to be wary of PSP development (unfortunately I dont remember the particular links for this). But you can clearly see how PSP game development slowed down in recent years, even before the Vita was announced. Sony makes most of it's money off game sales, not the hardware (since the hardware is generally sold at a loss), and so they'd probably rather sell a few less systems and far more games than vice versa.

We'll have out disagreements about copyright law, I think can both agree that there is too much copyright. For example the DMCA should be abolished.

Again, that's a completely different and irrelevant discussion. You're claiming that because they own the rights the game, they can set the price to it. That's true, because that's how the economy works. You create a good and charge people for it. If it's fair, people pay, and if it isnt, they dont, and you have to drop the price to increase sales.

As for the $60 video games, they are only expensive because Sony charges a licensing fee to developers, I don't know how much, but that isn't the case in PC platform which is why games are cheaper on the PC, they avoid many licensing fees.

Like I said, game sales is where Sony makes the money. They HAVE to charge these fees, or else there's little point in developing a games system (unless you take the Nintendo approach and develop underpowered hardware that sells for a higher price than what it costs to make). Developers have to account for that, and also for the millions and millions of dollars it takes to make a game today, which is what's responsible for the price hike. I doubt Sony would be charging developers any more now than in the past, because why would they? And for developers it's gotten to the point where one less than stellar game sales can put you out of business. That is why they're doing everything they can to stem losses from piracy, used game sales, and extend the life of a game through DLC.
---
#59ReDDevil2112Posted 12/5/2012 1:13:05 PM(edited)
Despite the cost for developing a video game they can lower the price. If Sony is concerned about the sales they need to lower the msrp price to at least $40, as the saying goes if something is cheaper more people will buy it. If a game cost $30 and later on they add $10 worth of DLC content, I wouldn't mind that, but they need to lower the price.

First of all, it's just MSRP. The P stands for "price". Second, Sony does not set the MSRP on anything but their own games, though to be fair im sure they have influence on the price in one way or another. Still, MSRP is publisher determined. For one reason or another, everyone agreed that it would be 60$. This started before Sony even joined the next gen, as evidenced by the Xbox 360 (and no, im not blaming Microsoft). Also, I know it's hard to believe, but these companies actually know something about business and economy. Maybe lowering the price would boost sales. And maybe it would lead to less overall profit. Im sure these companies have done more research on the matter than you or I have. But consider this, if the price is 20$ less, that means they lose 2,000$ for every 100 copies sold, which means they'd have to sell an additional 50 copies per 100 to recoup that loss. In that scenario, you'd have to boost sales by 50% just to be right back where you started. That's a significant risk for little gain.
---
#60lostnumberwarPosted 12/6/2012 2:40:00 AM
ChaoticKnuckles posted...
lostnumberwar posted...
DarknessXSeeker posted...
diebuster2 posted...
DarknessXSeeker posted...
I think it's a great idea SB is a good developer and they get way too much hate, PSAS is an awesome game.

It's an awesome fighting game but not an awesome celebration of playstation history, see missing key characters.

I love how people act like SB chose to leave out characters like Crash, Spyro, and Cloud. What people need to realize is if the IP holders say no than that means no, it's not like Sony owns them.

Let's see... Legend Of Dragoon, Blasto, Jumping Flash, Dark Cloud, Legend Of Legaia, Lemmings, Genji, The Getaway, The Mark Of Kri, Ico, Shadow Of The Colossus, War Of The Monsters, Wild Arms, Syphon Filter, Primal, Popolocrois, Okage Shadow King, Krazy Ivan, Granstream Saga, Demon's Souls, Cool Boarders, Alundra, Arc The Lad. I'm pretty sure none of these games are represented at all and Sony owns them.

Is anyone really asking for Cool Boarders or Blasto characters to be in this game?

Who the hell asked for a Polygon Man return?
---
And now for something completely the same.