This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dark Souls is_________?

#31DarthSchubertPosted 12/4/2012 9:29:00 AM
One of the best games ever. It's a 'game for gamers' in my opinion. It takes a lot of the conventions of normal games and plays with them - storyline especially, the death mechanic, the abundance of secrets, the lack of explanation.

I've been playing since the Atari 2600, and RPGs since the NES. It's natural that after that much time, you've seen most of the tropes games have to offer, and also you are good enough at games that most don't challenge you. Dark Souls scratches both those itches.

This game is in my top 5.
---
"Life is like a box of chocolates. Diabetics can't enjoy either."
#32green butterPosted 12/4/2012 10:03:38 AM
I don't know how I feel about Dark Souls.

On one hand, I love that it's a real old-school game that doesn't hold your hand, waste time on cutscenes and stupid dialogue, and has awesome boss battles. The online features are really cool and it feels like an accomplishment to beat anything in the game.

But then other things about it really both me. The game is super reliant on trial and error, and the inclusion of stuff like traps and enemies that hop out from behind corners and stuff is really frustrating. I also thought the combat was slow and not really exciting; for all your customization, loot, etc all you are basically doing is clubbing dudes and blocking.

I played for a while and only really had a good time with the game when I was beating a boss or exploring a new area for the first time. Other than that, I was having really slow tedious combat with skeletons that took forever to kill or something like that. It wasn't really fun after a certain point, and I stopped playing. But maybe I'll give the game another chance sometime.
---
http://i.imgur.com/LhwwG.gif
http://www.last.fm/user/celtics91
#33blackwaltz3Posted 12/4/2012 10:27:11 AM
Still have never played it, still sitting wrapped on my shelf
---
Trying is the first step towards failure.
PSN ID: Nieds
#34HookupsPosted 12/4/2012 10:30:24 AM
Sophistication posted...
It's just not my game... it felt too detached. It felt clunky to me and it seemed daunting at times. The graphics and animations kibd of put me off, too. I've always wanted to see it though due to the high praise but just couldn't.