This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ok, not saying it would happen but if Sony DID fail...

#1KevoCSCSPosted 12/4/2012 10:41:32 AM
Do you think it would cause another company to try to enter the console market thinking it wont' be as competitive now?

I'm just thinking it would be very weird for there to just be two companies producing consoles and frankly I don't think it would be good either. Competition breeds quality afterall, right?

Though we were kind of in this situation in the early to mid 90's with Sega and Nintendo with the Genesis/Megadrive and the Super Nintendo. At least in the US since the PC Engine wasn't a huge hit in the US.
#2bob15xPosted 12/4/2012 10:47:39 AM
Samsung and Apple only ones that come to mind but I fear an Apple console considering how restrictive they are. They would probably try to force every third party game on their console to be exclusive.
#3KevoCSCS(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 10:49:07 AM
bob15x posted...
Samsung and Apple only ones that come to mind but I fear an Apple console considering how restrictive they are. They would probably try to force every third party game on their console to be exclusive.

Thing about Apple and Samsung is I don't know if they'd be willing to release a device that my directly compete with their existing tablets and smartphones. That's the reason why Apple in particular hasn't entered the console industry yet I believe.
#4RetroFanGirlPosted 12/4/2012 10:55:12 AM
Apple Bandai Pippin 2? Eww. and Samsung will just get sued.
---
Only my opinion is valid.
Confirmed by SunDevil77
#5EoinPosted 12/4/2012 10:57:15 AM
Making a console requires a company to have (or to acquire) people and resources across multiple disciplines. It needs hardware engineers, a very large amount of game-specific coders for first-party titles, good relationships with third parties, a huge investment in a network infrastructure, and relationships with content providers of all types, and with retailers across the world.

It is a gigantic undertaking, and the barriers to entry are significant.

Very few companies in the world have all of the above. There's a few dozen that have the money to acquire all of the above, but most of them have had that for some time, and have shown no inclination to join the games industry previously (or else did, and got crushed).

bob15x posted...

Apple won't be entering the console market (if they were going to, they could easily have done so by now). They're already a major part of the games industry and seem happy with being the biggest player in the expanding mobile games market. However, if they did enter the console market....I'm struggling to see why you think that they'd try to force third parties to be exclusive, since firstly that would immediately guarantee zero third party support for them, and secondly...they don't do that on iOS so there's no reason to think that they'd suddenly start doing that on a hypothetical Apple console.
#6lambchipsPosted 12/4/2012 11:01:02 AM
ouya
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#7AlavardPosted 12/4/2012 11:05:05 AM
I suppose Google could do it, but I'm not sure if they'd want to.

At first it starts to sound like a no-brainer to make a console that runs on Android (like the Ouya), but that specifically requires ARM processors (which makes for a less powerful device).

And if Google doesn't use Android, then they would have to create a new console OS, which would be the third OS they'd have to maintain alongside Android and Chrome OS.
#8EoinPosted 12/4/2012 11:09:39 AM
Alavard posted...
I suppose Google could do it, but I'm not sure if they'd want to.

I think they're in a similar position to Apple - they could easily enter the console market at any time, but they're happy with their current position.

They're another company that I think would have entered the console market by now if they had any kind of desire to. It's not like Sony's presence in the market would stop them.
#9Hucast9Posted 12/4/2012 11:10:35 AM
bob15x posted...

Sega could easily make console comeback if there is only 1 other competitor. Let's face it, when the next gen consoles launch the Wii U will not be a competitor. Sega is a known video game company that is trusted by many. Dreamcast, their final console, was awesome, so that's a plus for them. I would vote for Sega under the conditions that I mentioned.

I think that there is no way that Microsoft would be allowed a next gen console with no competition. They would dominate is sales in epic proportions similar to PS1 or NES sales.
#10glory of power metalPosted 12/4/2012 11:39:49 AM
As far as I'm concerned, Apple has made a console, it's called the iPad and it's kicking some serious ass. I wouldn't want one though, I'm too cool for it.
---
QT x314159.
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher