This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

About to open up my PS3 slim to clean it...

#1Cooldude4389Posted 12/4/2012 10:23:17 AM
Anything I need to know prior to breaking the warranty seal, and nuking my PS3's interior with compressed air? Any tips are appreciated.
#2NGd72Posted 12/4/2012 10:24:29 AM
Why ?
#3Pereb27Posted 12/4/2012 10:25:27 AM
NGd72 posted...
Why ?

So it doesn't overheat...

Anyway if you're going to do this you might aswell consider changing the thermal paste, for a better CPU/GPU cooling.
#4Cooldude4389(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 10:26:49 AM
Well my PS3 has been on for 10+ hours, since last Christmas, I am guessing the interior is ridiculously dusty, so ima clean it...and several of my games are starting to have weird graphical bugs, such as increased texture popins.
#5Cooldude4389(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 10:29:08 AM
Pereb27 posted...
NGd72 posted...
Why ?

Anyway if you're going to do this you might aswell consider changing the thermal paste, for a better CPU/GPU cooling.

How would one do this? It sounds like a tater difficult task, haha..

My initial plan was to unplug the power supply, and get the dust out.
#6Pereb27Posted 12/4/2012 10:35:47 AM
Cooldude4389 posted...
Pereb27 posted...
NGd72 posted...
Why ?

Well you have to take the entire console apart. Once you separated the heatsink from the motherboard, clean the old thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol and a cloth or something.
There are many ways to apply new thermal paste (btw, I recommend high quality paste such as MX-4). You can either spread a thin layer with a credit card or something, or just put a pea sized blob on the middle of each chip and place the heatsink. If you need, you can look up videos on youtube.
#7chiefofsb78Posted 12/4/2012 10:47:55 AM
Cooldude4389 posted...
Pereb27 posted...
NGd72 posted...
Why ?

If you just wanna clean it i wouldnt do all that messing with that is serious business need to know what your doing
#8firefoxts5Posted 12/4/2012 11:02:52 AM
Get a can of air dust remover and spray the vents.
---
psn: Overlord-Fox---gamertag: Overlord foxx
#9Cooldude4389(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 11:22:21 AM
firefoxts5 posted...
Get a can of air dust remover and spray the vents.

Well wouldn't that just move the dust around my PS3? :s

Is it safe if I carefully open the PS3, and just use the compressed air on the interior, except the blu-ray player of course?

Was considering disconnecting the fan, however I read the cable is long enough that you can sort of move the fan out of the way.
#10Cooldude4389(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 1:44:08 PM
Pereb27 posted...
Cooldude4389 posted...
Pereb27 posted...
NGd72 posted...
Why ?

Well you have to take the entire console apart. Once you separated the heatsink from the motherboard, clean the old thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol and a cloth or something.

There are many ways to apply new thermal paste (btw, I recommend high quality paste such as MX-4). You can either spread a thin layer with a credit card or something, or just put a pea sized blob on the middle of each chip and place the heatsink. If you need, you can look up videos on youtube.

Would you recommend that I run compressed air through the vents, or just open it up? Evidently, I won't be able to change the thermal paste, considering I am not very experienced with the PS3's hardware. Is it ok if I open it just for the purpose of getting the dust out?