This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Am I the only one who doesn't care much for Sony's first party line up?

#1PolishCockatielPosted 12/4/2012 10:30:46 AM
How strong of a factor was Sony's first party IPs in your purchase of a PS3? - Results (85 votes)
Extremely - most of my PS3 games are first party
16.47% (14 votes)
A strong factor - I own a fair amount of Sony's first party titles
32.94% (28 votes)
Somewhat - there are a few Sony titles that convinced me to get PS3
27.06% (23 votes)
It had no factor at all - I desired a PS3 for third party support and or features.
23.53% (20 votes)
I don't own a PS3
0% (0 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Before anyone jumps to conclusions this is not a bash thread.

I simply do not care much for Son'y first party line up. Last generation I did not purchase a PS2 because of Sony's offerings but rather the offerings of third party developers and publishers who dished out excellent PS2 exclusives or, in the case of GTA, timed exclusives.

I purchased a PS2 for offerings such as Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Final Fantasy, Medal of Honor (i know that was multiplat), Grand Theft Auto, Persona, and the like. The only Sony first party titles I really cared for were Twisted Metal and God of War, though my interest in GoW has died down and TM was not a determining factor in my purchase of a PS2.

Again, this generation, I purchased a PS3 not for Sony's first party. I did not purchase one for promised titles such as Uncharted, God of War, Little Big Planet (which started out third party), Grand Turismo etc etc.

I purchased a PS3 for promised titles from third party developers such as Metal Gear Solid 4, and, well, games that were initially announced as exclusives but were made multiplatform such as Final Fantasy 13, DMC4, Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil 5, and many more. Seeing so many titles going multiplatform I must admit was a tad disheartening. Each announcement simply made the value of owning a PS3 specifically for third party titles, which kept going multi, less and less. Hell, now even Metal Gear Solid franchise is obviously going to be multiplatform in the future with Ground Zeroes and Rising.

I know, I rambled on a bit and lost focus a tad but, who of you don't really care much for Sony's First Party line up? Who of you purchased a PS3 without first party titles specifically in mind?
#2AsucaHayashiPosted 12/4/2012 10:34:12 AM
the only console anyone should ever own for first party titles is a nintendo console... and even their launch of the new console was a bust.
---
If console gaming is so cheap then why do I have to spend $600~ in order to play Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted 3 and Halo 3?
#3BizzaroMurphyPosted 12/4/2012 10:38:25 AM(edited)
Somewhat, but all of my favorite games are not first party. Blu-ray was another factor.
---
Hooch is crazy.
#4themegaman7Posted 12/4/2012 10:37:26 AM
I don't care for Sony's first party offering at all. Only good first party games they've ever had are Legend of Dragoon, Wild Arms 1-3, Ratchet & Clank 1 and on a much lesser note the Gran Turismo series.
---
PSN - Expa0
- The official Doppelganger of SMT IV boards -
#5LinkinLawgPosted 12/4/2012 10:39:41 AM(edited)
AsucaHayashi posted...
the only console anyone should ever own for first party titles is a nintendo console... and even their launch of the new console was a bust.

agree and disagree. Nintendo's first party titles are the strongest, there's no contest there. That's their system sellers.

But the days of third party exclusives are long gone. Only exclusives you'll find these days are from first parties. So, it's up to Sony and Microsoft to make and publish good first party games to sell their systems. All third party games can be bought on either system. When it comes to first party IP's, Sony's at least trying to come up with new stuff, where Microsoft keeps rehashing Halo, Gears of War and Forza. We could say the same about Nintendo with Mario and Zelda, but they still sell and they know that's why people buy their systems.
---
PSN: LinkinLawg
Not changing this sig until I feel like it
#6RetroFanGirlPosted 12/4/2012 10:41:27 AM
LittleBigPlanet is enough from Sony. Most of my favorite Sony IPs are from the PS1 era and have been long forgotten.
---
Only my opinion is valid.
Confirmed by SunDevil77
#7Willie_MakeitPosted 12/4/2012 10:42:22 AM
Except for God of War and a few others Sony's first party games pretty much suck. Third parties is where it's at.
#8OhHeyltsYouPosted 12/4/2012 10:44:25 AM
Besides Gran Turismo and Little Big Planet, I don't have much interest in the first party games. I'm sure they're good, they just don't interest me at all.
---
PSN: NaturaIBorn
#9ChaoticKnucklesPosted 12/4/2012 10:47:15 AM
It wasn't first party IPs so much as exclusives for me. That and PS2 backwards compatibility. Those were the two most influential factors in my decision to buy a PS3 and not a 360 or a Wii (although I did get a Wii many years later).
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#10PangLaPosted 12/4/2012 10:47:35 AM
AsucaHayashi posted...

Too bad 95% of their 1st party games are platformers and party games and the other 5% are JRPGS. No variety whatsoever.