This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hard Drive ?

#1InfiniteHEROPosted 12/5/2012 9:53:47 AM
Question is I bout a Fat PS3 from someone. They Put in a 250Gb hard drive which it was normally a 80Gb non BC model.

This thing is taking insanely long to DL stuff could it be the aftermarket HDD? I dont know what brand etc the HDD is so...
#2darkshadowmasterPosted 12/5/2012 10:02:55 AM
No your HDD will have no effect on download speeds. It's probably just that its a launch PS3 and it has either been fixed from a YLOD or it will YLOD on you soon. My launch PS3 also has issues with the Wireless connections now and is incredibly slow even though the wireless router is maybe 6 ft away. It's just because it's old.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#3InfiniteHERO(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 10:02:57 AM
Bump ?
#4InfiniteHERO(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 10:04:53 AM
darkshadowmaster posted...
No your HDD will have no effect on download speeds. It's probably just that its a launch PS3 and it has either been fixed from a YLOD or it will YLOD on you soon. My launch PS3 also has issues with the Wireless connections now and is incredibly slow even though the wireless router is maybe 6 ft away. It's just because it's old.

OK I dont know if im just going to shop around for a used slim or something then...
#5killakPosted 12/5/2012 10:05:51 AM
If it's downloading slowly, then you're connecting to a PSN server that's obviously quite far from you.

Even a failing harddrive will write quicker than your standard internet connection.
---
"does the game give you any guidance at some point? How do I f***ing figure s*** out?" - darksydephil, trying to beat the opening of Bayonetta
#6InfiniteHERO(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 10:08:45 AM
killak posted...
If it's downloading slowly, then you're connecting to a PSN server that's obviously quite far from you.

Even a failing harddrive will write quicker than your standard internet connection.

How would you fix that issue then? Would it help as well if I connected it with a Ethernet cable instead of doing it wireless?

Sorry asking semi noob questions I have my 360 hooked up on a ethernet and the router is right behind the Tv and it DL a 2.6 GB demo in a fraction of the time so thats why im puzzled
#7catgrizinsiderPosted 12/5/2012 10:15:19 AM
Can you wretch a 1 TB HD into the PS3? If so does it speck the same as the PS2 add-ons? I'm looking to do this myself but need the cojones to do it - I don't want to void warranty.
#8darkshadowmasterPosted 12/5/2012 10:16:57 AM
catgrizinsider posted...
Can you wretch a 1 TB HD into the PS3? If so does it speck the same as the PS2 add-ons? I'm looking to do this myself but need the cojones to do it - I don't want to void warranty.

Yes, they have 1TB drives out now that are the exact same specifications as smaller drives.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#9killakPosted 12/5/2012 10:20:19 AM
How would you fix that issue then? Would it help as well if I connected it with a Ethernet cable instead of doing it wireless?

Wired is usually faster, yes. As to fixing it, you can move and hope for the best or swap your ISP and hope they have exchanges that aren't as far from your local server. A 3rd option would be to pay for a much faster internet plan, to compensate for the percentage being used.

Sorry asking semi noob questions I have my 360 hooked up on a ethernet and the router is right behind the Tv and it DL a 2.6 GB demo in a fraction of the time so thats why im puzzled

Xboxlive servers are far more densely populated than PSN, due to who is running them and how long they've been in the game. You're more likely to get higher speeds on your 360, with the PS3's download speeds being hit and miss, unfortunately.

But either way, your harddrive isn't the culprit.
---
Me - http://tinyurl.com/bslf5na
#10InfiniteHERO(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 10:22:03 AM
killak posted...

Wired is usually faster, yes. As to fixing it, you can move and hope for the best or swap your ISP and hope they have exchanges that aren't as far from your local server. A 3rd option would be to pay for a much faster internet plan, to compensate for the percentage being used.

Xboxlive servers are far more densely populated than PSN, due to who is running them and how long they've been in the game. You're more likely to get higher speeds on your 360, with the PS3's download speeds being hit and miss, unfortunately.

But either way, your harddrive isn't the culprit.

Thanks for the reply I may just look around for a slim model then seeing this one is old as dirt lol