This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whats the longest amount of time a game has been cancelled after being announced

#1LinkinLawgPosted 12/5/2012 1:31:53 PM
What's the longest amount of time that you know of where a game was cancelled after being announced? Or how far into development was it?

I remember reading something not long ago about a Star Wars game being 99% done before being cancelled. I find that hard to believe because that just sounds like a huge waste of money to not finish it and release it after putting all that time and labor into making that game.

Do you think it would be possible for FFVS XIII, Last Guardian or Agent to get cancelled after being announced so long ago? Or do you think they would still release them after putting this much time into it (if they are even working on them at all).

I think Agent will get released. Rockstar is known to announce a game then it goes into obscurity for years. LA Noire and Max Payne 3 were like that.
---
PSN: LinkinLawg
Not changing this sig until I feel like it
#2iPr0kkaFTWPosted 12/5/2012 1:33:12 PM
Obvious response is Duke Nukem Forever.
#3LinkinLawg(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 1:35:15 PM(edited)
iPr0kkaFTW posted...

DNF came out. I'm asking about games that got cancelled after an extended amount of time of it's announcement.
---
PSN: LinkinLawg
Not changing this sig until I feel like it
#4Ryphis_DemeanorPosted 12/5/2012 1:36:34 PM
Last Remnant for PS3 is a great example of how they handle cancellations now. They say "Thanks for your continued interest in _____________, unfortunately we have no new information on the game at this time. Stay tuned for new announcements from our company though!"

BLAH
#5Gigahart_gaylorPosted 12/5/2012 2:40:42 PM
LinkinLawg posted...
iPr0kkaFTW posted...

DNF came out. I'm asking about games that got cancelled after an extended amount of time of it's announcement.

DNF did get cancelled. The DNF that came out has almost nothing to do with the DNF that was first announced. Gearbox just bought the rights and made a DNF from scratch.
---
Breaking Bad, great show or greatest show?
NeverDead: The worst game of this gen.
#6doraemonllh1989Posted 12/5/2012 2:51:52 PM
Gigahart_gaylor posted...
LinkinLawg posted...
iPr0kkaFTW posted...

DNF did get cancelled. The DNF that came out has almost nothing to do with the DNF that was first announced. Gearbox just bought the rights and made a DNF from scratch.

Still "DNF" though
---
my grammar sucks and i dont care
disappointing game of the year = re6 (6.5/10)
#7yoshi006Posted 12/5/2012 2:53:59 PM
Ryphis_Demeanor posted...
Last Remnant for PS3 is a great example of how they handle cancellations now. They say "Thanks for your continued interest in _____________, unfortunately we have no new information on the game at this time. Stay tuned for new announcements from our company though!"

BLAH

Wait, Square is still pretending the PS3 version is still in development? That's amazing.
---
Good gameplay can easily salvage a bad story.
Good story can never save bad gameplay.
#8JerichoDarkstarPosted 12/5/2012 2:55:17 PM
Star Wars Battlefront 3. It was freakin done when Lucas fired all those employees, and apparently thought, "What the hell! Let's just trashed this finished product because that team was working on it."

Obvious idiot developer is obvious. . .
---
I'll make a big enough ruckus for everyone.
PSN: DarkSilverCloud
#9TheTrueNubPosted 12/5/2012 3:02:38 PM
LinkinLawg posted...
iPr0kkaFTW posted...

No they didn't. The game Gearbox got was already almost done.
---
Keep calm and hee-ho
http://i.imgur.com/8JzkT.png
#10crazyman32Posted 12/5/2012 3:09:36 PM
LinkinLawg posted...
iPr0kkaFTW posted...

it was not made from scratch they added some polish to it and released it even Gearbox said that.
---
PSN ID:gearhead32
I used to care but now I take a pill for that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KaOrSuWZeM