This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you risk damaging your PS3 by installing a bigger harddrive?

#21NicodimusPosted 12/6/2012 7:40:45 PM
Nicodimus posted...
Also, how is this HDD for a PS3?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate+-+Momentus+500GB+Internal+Serial+ATA+Hard+Drive+for+Laptops/9326428.p;jsessionid=6BACEC1C49DB74E29E210795198BD78D.bbolsp-app04-64?id=1218085426687&skuId=9326428&st=HDD&cp=1&lp=1

Can I go better for a cheaper price or is that the best that I should go for?

Looks like a great choice. I have the WD equivalent (same specs) and am very happy with it.

Alright. Good to know. One more final question:

http://asia.cnet.com/upsize-your-ps3-hard-drive-62032875.htm

Is that a good walkthrough to use to replace the HDD?

It's fine, but it doesn't mention that the system may prompt you to hook up a USB device with the latest PS3 system software. Not that it's hard to do, but it's good to expect that and be ready.
---
PSN #1: Nicodimus - Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Kaylee (Fighter)
PSN #2: Nicodimus222 - Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Mina (Mage)
#22War_FailPosted 12/6/2012 7:44:10 PM
I bought this drive and it just came in the mail earlier today: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST9750420AS/

I haven't installed it yet, but it's a great deal for a drive with these specs (7200rpm, 16mb cache) and size. Some people recommend against using a 7200rpm drive in older PS3 models, but I'm willing to take the risk with my Slim because I hear that it improves performance quite a bit over the 5400rpm drives.
---
RIP Mr. Hands June 22, 1960 - July 2, 2005
A true American hero
#23HakuMan111386(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 8:58:46 PM
War_Fail posted...
I bought this drive and it just came in the mail earlier today: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST9750420AS/

I haven't installed it yet, but it's a great deal for a drive with these specs (7200rpm, 16mb cache) and size. Some people recommend against using a 7200rpm drive in older PS3 models, but I'm willing to take the risk with my Slim because I hear that it improves performance quite a bit over the 5400rpm drives.

Hmm...should I buy that or get the Best Buy HDD? The one you posted the link to is cheaper and has more space, yet the Best Buy one I can take back to the store if I ever have a problem with it.
---
Name: ANTJF Brawl Friend Code: 3093-6768-2145
PSN: Scorpion1386
#24NicodimusPosted 12/6/2012 9:05:47 PM
War_Fail posted...

Hmm...should I buy that or get the Best Buy HDD? The one you posted the link to is cheaper and has more space, yet the Best Buy one I can take back to the store if I ever have a problem with it.

I recommend the 500gb 7200rpm 16mb cache drive, generally speaking. It has good space, good performance, no issues with forced reformatting, and it's the sweet spot in terms of value/cost at around $65-$70. WD and Seagate are both reliable brands, and they both have a 5-year warranty on those drives. The heat increase of the 7200rpm drive is negligible. If you're really worried about it, get an extra cooling fan for your PS3.
---
#25War_FailPosted 12/6/2012 9:19:14 PM
HakuMan111386 posted...
War_Fail posted...

Well, the one I linked to does come with a 2-year manufacturer's warranty (I'm sure the BB one also has a similar warranty). But you're right, dealing with returns from an online store can be a pain. Either one would be a good choice, really. Most people would probably never need anywhere near 750gb for a PS3 (though keep in mind that after being formatted, you lose quite a bit of space with both drives; a 500gb drive will only be about 465).
---
RIP Mr. Hands June 22, 1960 - July 2, 2005
A true American hero
#26HakuMan111386(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 4:44:53 AM
War_Fail posted...
HakuMan111386 posted...
War_Fail posted...

Well, the one I linked to does come with a 2-year manufacturer's warranty (I'm sure the BB one also has a similar warranty). But you're right, dealing with returns from an online store can be a pain. Either one would be a good choice, really. Most people would probably never need anywhere near 750gb for a PS3 (though keep in mind that after being formatted, you lose quite a bit of space with both drives; a 500gb drive will only be about 465).

I see. I'll probably go with the BB one then. How come a formatted drive will take space away though?
---
#27NicodimusPosted 12/7/2012 6:02:43 AM
War_Fail posted...
HakuMan111386 posted...
War_Fail posted...

I see. I'll probably go with the BB one then. How come a formatted drive will take space away though?

2 reasons:

#1 the way hard drives are marketed, they never give you quite as much as you think

#2 the PS3 automatically reserves 10% of any hard drive you put in it for its own use.
---
#28HakuMan111386(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 5:14:40 PM(edited)
What is the difference between backing up the PS3 files to an external HDD and moving the save files to a USB drive and deleting the game installations to make more room?
---
#29EoinPosted 12/7/2012 5:18:18 PM
HakuMan111386 posted...
What is the difference between backing up the PS3 files to an external HDD and moving the save files to a USB drive and deleting the game installations to make more room?

Hours of your time. When the backup runs it has to pack everything together and transfer to the external hard drive - and packing takes time and transferring over USB 2.0 is slow too. Then you'll need to restore them later, which will take as much time. Deleting the game installations is fast and allows you to install each game later, at a time of your choosing, rather than having the PS3 do it all together.

By the way, although backing up save files to USB is a good idea, it's (hopefully) not really necessary here and won't save you much time since saves are generally very small compared to installs (a typical install being maybe a thousand times bigger than a typical save).
#30HakuMan111386(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 5:26:47 PM
Eoin posted...
HakuMan111386 posted...

Hours of your time. When the backup runs it has to pack everything together and transfer to the external hard drive - and packing takes time and transferring over USB 2.0 is slow too. Then you'll need to restore them later, which will take as much time. Deleting the game installations is fast and allows you to install each game later, at a time of your choosing, rather than having the PS3 do it all together.

By the way, although backing up save files to USB is a good idea, it's (hopefully) not really necessary here and won't save you much time since saves are generally very small compared to installs (a typical install being maybe a thousand times bigger than a typical save).

I see. So, I should just continue backing up my PS3 files to the external HDD? That's what I'm doing now and I had to converted to FAT32.
---