This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you risk damaging your PS3 by installing a bigger harddrive?

#31HakuMan111386(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 4:02:23 AM
Okay now that I've backed up everything to the external HDD, what am I suppose to see when I connect it on my PC? All of the files have the word, "archive" in the file names. Is this suppose to be right? Where are my save files? Did I do something wrong?
---
Name: ANTJF Brawl Friend Code: 3093-6768-2145
PSN: Scorpion1386
#32Pengu1nPosted 12/8/2012 4:08:14 AM
HakuMan111386 posted...
I'm curious to know how difficult it is to install one. I am interested in possibly buying one for more space.

No.;

If anything it's a good thing because you can use a more reliable one.

I have a 640gb samsung spinpoint one in mine and it has a feature called noiseguard and as result my PS3 is ultra quiet whereas with the stock HDD you can hear it clicking away all the time.
---
If you believe in Hulkamania and are 100% proud of it put this as your signature
#33HakuMan111386(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 4:17:30 AM
I still need help...why are my files labeled as archive? If everything is okay, how do I back it up to the new HDD on my PS3? I apologize for the overabundance of questions. I just want to make sure that everything here goes smoothly for the transition. I hope you understand. Thank you.
---
#34EoinPosted 12/8/2012 5:31:09 AM
PS3 backup files are library files - that is, it hasn't taken each file and transferred it to the hard drive, it has packed them all together in big chunks. These are the archive files you're seeing. This is OK.

To restore the backup, you can use the Backup Utility in System Settings (the same thing you used to do the backup). There's a Restore option there.
#35HakuMan111386(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 12:11:00 PM
Eoin posted...
PS3 backup files are library files - that is, it hasn't taken each file and transferred it to the hard drive, it has packed them all together in big chunks. These are the archive files you're seeing. This is OK.

To restore the backup, you can use the Backup Utility in System Settings (the same thing you used to do the backup). There's a Restore option there.

Okay, so to restore the backup, I basically connect the external HDD (after having put in the new internal HDD), use the Restore option, and I'll be good to go? Everything will be restored like it was on my PS3 prior to internal HDD installation?

This is all that's left that I need to be answered. You've been such a big help! Thank you.

:-)
---
#36bobafett56Posted 12/8/2012 12:27:54 PM
If you don't care about your old files, you can easily install a new hard drive in less then ten minutes, update and reboot time included.
---
Currently Playing: Nintendoland
Waiting for: Metal Gear Sold Rising Revengeance Steam: Cloudfett56
#37antoinejonesPosted 12/8/2012 12:28:38 PM
HakuMan111386 posted...
Eoin posted...

Okay, so to restore the backup, I basically connect the external HDD (after having put in the new internal HDD), use the Restore option, and I'll be good to go? Everything will be restored like it was on my PS3 prior to internal HDD installation?

This is all that's left that I need to be answered. You've been such a big help! Thank you.

yes assuming the backup works (just because it says backup complete doesnt mean itll work).. for example ive backed up and restored on other PS3s just fine.. but on my ps3e ive NEVER had any of my backups successfully restore.. and end up having to resintall/re patch/redownload everything anyway

also fi you use a ps3 slim the firmware isnt left on your ps3 when you try to restore so after it formats your new HDD the next thing its gonna ask is for you to install the latest firmware.... (if your eon a slim) in which case you go to the official sony site.. plug in your external to the PC.. and on it make folders called PS# then inside that folder make one called UPDATE (has to be in caps) then save the firmware download into the update folder.. after that put the external back into the PS3 and when/if it asks for firmware press start + select at the same time
---
My first time and day in Jeuno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.
#38HakuMan111386(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 12:36:19 PM
antoinejones posted...
HakuMan111386 posted...
Eoin posted...

yes assuming the backup works (just because it says backup complete doesnt mean itll work).. for example ive backed up and restored on other PS3s just fine.. but on my ps3e ive NEVER had any of my backups successfully restore.. and end up having to resintall/re patch/redownload everything anyway

also fi you use a ps3 slim the firmware isnt left on your ps3 when you try to restore so after it formats your new HDD the next thing its gonna ask is for you to install the latest firmware.... (if your eon a slim) in which case you go to the official sony site.. plug in your external to the PC.. and on it make folders called PS# then inside that folder make one called UPDATE (has to be in caps) then save the firmware download into the update folder.. after that put the external back into the PS3 and when/if it asks for firmware press start + select at the same time

I see. I'm just curious, why would the backup not work? I've left the PS3 on last night, took a nap, and it backed up the files. So even after doing all of that, the backup may not work? That sucks. :-/

I do use a PS3 Slim (got mine in 2009). How many folders do I rename, "PS#" and how many folders inside do I rename, "UPDATE"? Where on Sony's website can I get the firmware download?

Sorry for the newbness. >_<;
---
#39antoinejonesPosted 12/8/2012 12:56:59 PM
HakuMan111386 posted...
antoinejones posted...
HakuMan111386 posted...
Eoin posted...

I see. I'm just curious, why would the backup not work? I've left the PS3 on last night, took a nap, and it backed up the files. So even after doing all of that, the backup may not work? That sucks. :-/

I do use a PS3 Slim (got mine in 2009). How many folders do I rename, "PS#" and how many folders inside do I rename, "UPDATE"? Where on Sony's website can I get the firmware download?

yes theres a chance it wont work.. even if it backups everything.. because sony are idiots and didnt think to make an "store backup if errors are found" or w/e so itll complete the backup with errors but when you try to restore it if a problem is found with the backup it wont restore (which is why i have ps3 to at least salvage all my saves iincase a restore goes wrong)

Also the folder is supposed to be called PS3 not PS# (that was a typo) which you should already have on your hard drive from the backup.. inside the PS3 folder make a folder called UPDATE then inside the update folder is where you save the firmware which can be found at http://us.playstation.com/ assuming youre in the US... scroll down to the bottom of the page and click get ps3 system update 4.31
---
My first time and day in Jeuno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.
#40HakuMan111386(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 1:01:19 PM
antoinejones posted...
HakuMan111386 posted...
antoinejones posted...
HakuMan111386 posted...
Eoin posted...

yes theres a chance it wont work.. even if it backups everything.. because sony are idiots and didnt think to make an "store backup if errors are found" or w/e so itll complete the backup with errors but when you try to restore it if a problem is found with the backup it wont restore (which is why i have ps3 to at least salvage all my saves iincase a restore goes wrong)

Also the folder is supposed to be called PS3 not PS# (that was a typo) which you should already have on your hard drive from the backup.. inside the PS3 folder make a folder called UPDATE then inside the update folder is where you save the firmware which can be found at http://us.playstation.com/ assuming youre in the US... scroll down to the bottom of the page and click get ps3 system update 4.31

So...what should I do now? Back up my game saves to the external HDD along with the backup on it? Is that another good option?
---