This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what the hell was Sony thinking this gen?

#31justinlynch3Posted 12/6/2012 9:34:23 PM
Nicodimus posted...
Man I'd find it so odd if I was playing a shooter for example, got shot, and.... nothing. No rumble from the controller, just sound with no impact. It'd just feel... wrong. lol

I pretty much never play shooters unless it's something like Mass Effect. I much prefer the good use of surround sound to a buzzing vibrator in my hand.

I've never noticed any buzzing from it unless the TV is like muted or something, and I've used it all though the PS2 era and in PS3. Maybe your hearing is just more sensitive then mine.
---
Mystic Forum - http://mysticforum.forumotion.com/
NewGenerations - http://forum.newgenforums.net/topic/8090441/1/#new
#32theofficefan99Posted 12/6/2012 9:41:07 PM
"-Are you really going to argue that FFXIII was thought of as some killer app? Who thought it was going to be a system seller? FF as a series was already in major decline since the last well-received entry, FFX. Most people hated XI and XII, and really just wanted a remake of earlier games in the series, especially VII."

This was so dumb, I can't even believe it.

Final Fantasy is ALWAYS a killer app, and it is ALWAYS a system seller, no matter how contentious the last installment was. XIII managed to sell nearly 7 million despite XII being very controversial, and I'm sure XV will sell a large amount, if not even more-so than XIII, if the game receives a good word-of-mouth.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#33plasticman13Posted 12/6/2012 9:42:54 PM
"-Are you really going to argue that FFXIII was thought of as some killer app? Who thought it was going to be a system seller? FF as a series was already in major decline since the last well-received entry, FFX. Most people hated XI and XII, and really just wanted a remake of earlier games in the series, especially VII."

This was so dumb, I can't even believe it.

Final Fantasy is ALWAYS a killer app, and it is ALWAYS a system seller, no matter how contentious the last installment was. XIII managed to sell nearly 7 million despite XII being very controversial, and I'm sure XV will sell a large amount, if not even more-so than XIII, if the game receives a good word-of-mouth.

Lol he obviously was living under a rock at E3 2008 and the months following it.
---
For the latest news on Final Fantasy Versus XIII with interviews, e-mails, etc. with the development staff, please visit:
http://bit.ly/g917a5
#34AalviPosted 12/7/2012 12:00:41 AM
Nicodimus posted...
The absence of rumble doesn't help in any way since you can disable it even if you didn't like it. Versus XIII in particular was a game that was the reason for MANY people buying PS3 in the first place, it was supposed to be a system seller(I had an 360 and wanted a PS3 just for that game). The PSN wouldn't have happened to ANYONE, they were easy targets and the hack was the result of displeasure with Sony in the first place. The series mentioned have gone downhill arguably because they didn't retain exclusivity(not sure about Tekken but I can vouch for the other 2).

-I have WWE 13, and guess what? It rumbles and there is no option to turn it off. Pisses me right off.

-Are you really going to argue that FFXIII was thought of as some killer app? Who thought it was going to be a system seller? FF as a series was already in major decline since the last well-received entry, FFX. Most people hated XI and XII, and really just wanted a remake of earlier games in the series, especially VII.

-XBL has been hacked multiple times. It's something everyone with an online service has a risk of.

-First, you cry "oh no" because a couple of series you value went multiplat, and then you say "well, they suck anyway because they went multiplat." That really makes no sense.

-Well on PS3 you could turn vibration off, sorry to hear you couldn't turn it off in WWE
-XBL would not be down for an entire month and I am well aware of the 360 scene and I know for a fact Microsoft would have handled that situation much better and faster as well, Sony admit they messed up and pretty much weren't prepared. And yes I do realize every business dealing with technology have to be careful of cyber attacks.
-Hmm although I may not think much of XI or XII, I know FF fandom well and XI in particular wasn't hated as you claim, just people preferring consoles were barred since at the time online functionality wasn't as common with devices. I assure you that a lot of people would buy a system off the names like Zelda,FF,MGS,Mario alone, one title isn't going to destroy the loyalty and hope people display for long running series. Also this was before XIII released anyways, I know many bought PS3 for KH3 and Versus XIII and could even do a poll(that wouldn't satisfy you). Just because the new gen of gamers have entered in the gaming world does not mean games that games people from back in the days got are going to stop coming(RPGs basically as opposed to shooters).
-Love how I'm depicting as "crying" saying things I didn't even say, belittling what I say about multiplat games isn't helping you. A game going multiplat sacrifices a lot of things due to the differences in system capabilities and different architecture and everything(so many things affect this and I'm no expert). They have deadlines too so they have to make a game for more than one system and still maintain the original games quality? No, they cut out stuff, rush a bit and most of the time the game getting a port gets the **** end of the stick. FFXIII and the cutscenes being downgraded, majority of it's content cut out and saved for XIII-2(supposedly) are due to it going multiplat and having a deadline to release it for both systems. DMC4 rehashing the first half of the game again for Dantes portion could also be possibly blamed on the fact that they all of a suddenly needed to make a 360 version.

I didn't say anything about whether I like them anyways or not and I did say arguably. It is obvious the quality of the games took a hit when making transition over to PS3 in the tech jump and the need to put it on 360 didn't help.
---
Check out my backlog: http://backloggery.com/aalvi
PSN ID: Aalvi-S|http://psnprofiles.com/Aalvi-S|3DS FC in Profile
#35CrimsonGear80Posted 12/7/2012 2:25:05 AM(edited)
Lelouch71 posted...
They weren't thinking. In fact, they were smoking some good weed.

CrimsonGear80 posted...
70 Million plus sold, making them neck and neck with the 360 despite launching a year later at a much higher price point?

yeah.....what were they thinking....

They aren't neck and neck. MS never release their sales that I know of. So the gap (even if it small) is most likely still there even after 6 years of fanboy wars which makes it even more pathetic. Even then the 360 surpassed its predecessor by a landslide. The PS3 is a failure when compared to its predecessor. The PS2 was already over 100 million sold by this same point. It was the king. The PS3 is just a mere commoner fighting for scraps that Nintendo left over for the PS3 and 360 to fight over.

Let's also not act like the drop in price didn't help the PS3. The PS3 didn't even take off until the previous slim model came out for $300. $500+ was a huge turn off. Never mind the fact that the PS3 flushed all the money that Sony made from the PS1 and PS2 down the toilet. It didn't even start to make a profit until 2010.

I don't care how big of a fanboy anyone is. Sony truly ****ed up this gen.

70 million+ sold = failure......who the hell.......

no, let's just compare it to the PS2 which has always costs less than the PS3 and has been out for 12 years........

and yes....MS has released sales data for the 360....numerous times actually, but here's just one example:

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/Kpi/FY13/Q1/Detail.aspx
---
DmC looks like a good game. I also enjoyed the latest Final Fantasy and Resident Evil games. I like video games.
http://imgon.net/di-CFMD.gif NNID: ArsenalGear
#36TheTenth10Posted 12/7/2012 2:46:27 AM
most elements you put ahead were not in their control :

Microsoft used insane amounts of money to "buy" exclusives, which is considered "unfair competition" in most countries (imagine a meat selling company, a burger restaurant pays them to not ship or delay shipping to other burger restaurants, that would cause a prejudice to the other companies).
We can guess this is the problem with FFvsXIII as SquareEnix are Microsoft's pets this gen, chances is it's Microsoft's money that makes the development delayed forever.
Same thing for a possible Star Wars Move game : Microsoft bought the exclusivity for a "motion" SW game most likely for 1 or 2 years.
Hacking is something you can't control or anticipate, you're protected only until the hackers find the way in, simple as that. Isn't it strange hackers didn't target the XBOX live? Makes me thing Microsoft is behind it all.
#37art_of_the_killPosted 12/7/2012 2:53:54 AM
theofficefan99 posted...

No, it really isn't the killer app that it used to be.

The franchise has taken massive damage due to FFXIV and the endless XIII sequels that no one ever wanted in the first place.
---
"You've lost this argument!"
--- John Marston while lassoing/hogtying someone. Favorite quote this gen.
#38kingofall214Posted 12/7/2012 3:00:15 AM
the "ps3 didn't do as good as the ps2" arguments are dumb. You can't hit a home run every time you step to the plate.
#39Jinzo 111887Posted 12/7/2012 6:32:59 AM
the "ps3 didn't do as good as the ps2" arguments are dumb. You can't hit a home run every time you step to the plate.

You're right, but you could keep a reminder of it happening. Sony decided to forget about it when they dropped PS2 support. Worse is the selections of PS2 classics on PSN are insanely limited.
---
"Michael Vick was arrested for getting in an assault plane and shooting down other planes?" - L0Z
#40digidevilwilPosted 12/7/2012 6:49:25 AM
Sony is garbage now. The only reason the ps3 has even become something this day is because of the past success of their other consoles. If they were nobodies without past glory to ride on, they would have been done long ago.

I know that I bought this console thinking I would be looking at a half dozen Atlus rpgs and other great Japanese games flooding my shelf right now.
---
PSN: PandaKingEX