This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what the hell was Sony thinking this gen?

#41ace_two_maxPosted 12/7/2012 7:53:18 AM
I like BC. this is why I don't have a Wii U... it doesn't have a slot for my N64 games QQ
---
You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people and plead for your freedom, and your telling me your completely sane?!
#42Darth_ElusivePosted 12/7/2012 7:55:38 AM
tangnets posted...
Disclaimer: I like the PS3 and think it's overall a pretty decent system

Starting the price at $599?
Releasing the controller without rumble?
Letting big name PS2 exclusive series like Final Fantasy, Devil may Cry, and Tekken go multiplatform
Games like TLG and Versus 13 having no release in sight
Removing PS2 BC?
Not taking preventative measures against the PSN hack(though they handled the aftermath well)

Sony has really been dropping the ball this gen. What's been up? They were the kings with the PS2.

The answer can be summed up in one word: arrogance.

As you said, Sony was king in PS2, and in PS1 I think. They thought consumers would still line up to buy the PS3 at that high price. They thought developers would bent backward to make games for the PS3. But Sony was wrong.

The $599 price tag was the first tile of the domino. PS3 being difficult to develop for is the second domino. Being too expensive back then and being harder to developer just put in motion the rest of the issues you mentioned.

The XBOX360 being launched one year ahead of course had an negative impact. But if the PS3 had a solid launch line up and constant stream of games during its first year and a half, it could have close the gap.

I have been out of school for while so I haven't read any text book lately. But I can guarantee you the downfall of Sony has been well documented and used as case studies in management text books for college students in that field. And same for the rise of Apple.

Personally I still love my PS3. It is a quality hardware. But Sony screwed up.
---
Look at my XBOX720 ===> i7 2600 @3.4Ghz | ATI 6850 1GB | 8GB DDR3 | Asus P8P67 LE
Now playing: Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Dead or Alive 5
#43JONlCSPosted 12/7/2012 7:58:03 AM
they thought theyre untouchable

they face planted. hard.
---
https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/10/2/-8gupej1n0SUAWum34xqdw2.gif
#44AXKSIONPosted 12/7/2012 7:59:58 AM
CrimsonGear80 posted...
70 million+ sold = failure......who the hell.......

no, let's just compare it to the PS2 which has always costs less than the PS3 and has been out for 12 years........

and yes....MS has released sales data for the 360....numerous times actually, but here's just one example:

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/Kpi/FY13/Q1/Detail.aspx

You're not about to have a severe meltdown from the amount of complaints and negativity in this topic and on the board as of late, are you?

Anyhow, for the topic, I am sick to death of Sony. I have given them 6+ years to provide me with JRPGs, why I loved the PlayStation brand in the first place. Now I feel betrayed and I think I am starting to hate Sony for letting me down. Six F***ING years and the PS3 is a desolate place for good JRPGs.
---
http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s574/akxsion/Nintendo.png http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s574/akxsion/SMRPG.jpg
#45ScymitePosted 12/7/2012 8:05:41 AM
http://www.1up.com/news/sony-buy

As someone said before, Sony got arrogant.
---
"half life is god, if you gave gordon freeman long hair he'd be freaken jesus with a crowbar" -- ilovecarebears
#46Galvatron ZeroPosted 12/7/2012 8:14:18 AM
The fact that the XBox 360 has the market share it does is a bit of a fail for Sony. They had the market with the PS2. No question.

Now they are elbowing out space with Microsoft after having years of market advantage. WTH?

They pissed away their lead. The fact that we even need to discuss which system sells more should be a point of embarrassment for Sony.
---
Galvatron Zero
#474dfmaEFPosted 12/7/2012 8:15:38 AM
Lot's of wrong in this topic

- It was one of the first Blue-ray players next to other high-tech inside sold at a loss
- Leaving rumble away was a patent issue IIRC
- How could they possibly influence exclusives without buying in or the owner? *facepalm*
- ...no release in sight, see statement above
- BC: Mildly understandable but why does your PS2 gather dust?
- News flash: Anybody can get hacked. There's no perfect safety.
---
Maturity: Make decisions, reflect them reasonably and stand up for them accordingly
Communication: Tell people what you know and they might not know
#484dfmaEFPosted 12/7/2012 8:19:27 AM
Darth_Elusive posted...
tangnets posted...
Disclaimer: I like the PS3 and think it's overall a pretty decent system

Starting the price at $599?
Releasing the controller without rumble?
Letting big name PS2 exclusive series like Final Fantasy, Devil may Cry, and Tekken go multiplatform
Games like TLG and Versus 13 having no release in sight
Removing PS2 BC?
Not taking preventative measures against the PSN hack(though they handled the aftermath well)

Sony has really been dropping the ball this gen. What's been up? They were the kings with the PS2.

The answer can be summed up in one word: arrogance.

As you said, Sony was king in PS2, and in PS1 I think. They thought consumers would still line up to buy the PS3 at that high price. They thought developers would bent backward to make games for the PS3. But Sony was wrong.

The $599 price tag was the first tile of the domino. PS3 being difficult to develop for is the second domino. Being too expensive back then and being harder to developer just put in motion the rest of the issues you mentioned.

The XBOX360 being launched one year ahead of course had an negative impact. But if the PS3 had a solid launch line up and constant stream of games during its first year and a half, it could have close the gap.

I have been out of school for while so I haven't read any text book lately. But I can guarantee you the downfall of Sony has been well documented and used as case studies in management text books for college students in that field. And same for the rise of Apple.

Personally I still love my PS3. It is a quality hardware. But Sony screwed up.

Apple was also once at the brink of extinction. And a few days ago their shares dropped by 5%.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/apple-suffers-biggest-stock-drop-four-years-buying-164801215.html

You shouldn't trust textbooks a 100%, they can be proven to be wrong.
---
Maturity: Make decisions, reflect them reasonably and stand up for them accordingly
Communication: Tell people what you know and they might not know
#49byrocracyPosted 12/7/2012 8:21:55 AM
The Xbox fanboys are who we thought they were... and we LET THEM OFF THE HOOK. If you want to crown their asses....then CROWN THEIR ASSES!

PS3 was too expensive for me at launch and had to wait until recently for a reasonable price drop. All while refraining from purchasing an always lowered price Xbox.

Not so sure I'll be able to hold myself back if next gen is going to pan out similarly. Like some posters above me already mentioned, all the good exclusives are now multi-platform!
---
What are you waiting for? Christmas?
#50NicodimusPosted 12/7/2012 8:34:09 AM
Final Fantasy is ALWAYS a killer app, and it is ALWAYS a system seller, no matter how contentious the last installment was.

This could be argued as late as 2002. In 2012, it's simply not true. The franchise has been terribly damaged over the last decade.
---
PSN #1: Nicodimus - Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Kaylee (Fighter)
PSN #2: Nicodimus222 - Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Mina (Mage)