This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what the hell was Sony thinking this gen?

#51hockeybub89Posted 12/7/2012 8:39:30 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#52AXKSIONPosted 12/7/2012 8:40:57 AM
Nicodimus posted...
Final Fantasy is ALWAYS a killer app, and it is ALWAYS a system seller, no matter how contentious the last installment was.

This could be argued as late as 2002. In 2012, it's simply not true. The franchise has been terribly damaged over the last decade.

I was drooling over Final Fantasy XIII in painful anticipation since I did not realize it would be among the worst games ever made. I thought the game was still going to be Final Fantasy, but oh how wrong was I...
---
http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s574/akxsion/Nintendo.png http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s574/akxsion/SMRPG.jpg
#53ViVi_0rnitierPosted 12/7/2012 8:45:11 AM
More like "What the hell is Sony thinking NOW?". They may had started bad in this gen, but they were redeeming themselves with some great exclusives... now they are getting worse with each new i hear from them.
---
I go to gamefaqs board by jumping on to the internet and then use stuff like "report" and kill the crap outta trolls.
#54hockeybub89Posted 12/7/2012 9:04:48 AM
Price was a big problem and I will even give you lack of rumble. After that, your points just kind of fall apart, TC.

From a third party standpoint, it does not make sense to take a payoff to confine yourself to one system. And if I were Sony, I wouldn't see the point in throwing all that money just to buy a third party devs loyalty for one series.

As for games not releasing, what is anyone supposed to do about that? There is more at play with something like that than a developer just holding their breath and refusing to work.

Backwards compatibility is overblown. Why should one of the main concerns of a new system be to play old games? Sony supports their old systems longer than anyone else. If you are worried that 5-10 years down the road that your PS2 might die or you just want one system that plays everything, tough. It is not an important feature and that's not because Sony hates the consumer. It is because it is not important from a business standpoint. The feature simply isn't the dealbreaker of the scope people believe it to be. Protip: If you still want to play a ton of old games, hold off on buying the new system until it has the games to be worth it on your own. Systems will only become less stable as they become more advanced. Do you really want to trust the PS4 with four generations of your library?

Things get hacked. No one blames a bank or a store when it gets robbed, professional hackjobs are no different. I am not going to say Sony couldn't have had better safeguards in place, but to put the blame on them is inaccurate.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica
#55carsaucePosted 12/7/2012 9:07:01 AM
They are tricky, but still I enjoy my PS3
---
Someday, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else. -anonymous
#56Lelouch71Posted 12/7/2012 11:25:18 AM
CrimsonGear80 posted...

70 million+ sold = failure......who the hell.......

no, let's just compare it to the PS2 which has always costs less than the PS3 and has been out for 12 years........

and yes....MS has released sales data for the 360....numerous times actually, but here's just one example:

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/Kpi/FY13/Q1/Detail.aspx

Yes it is a failure when compared to the PS2. It's a success in its own right, but even then the system was bleeding money for years. All the money that Sony had gain from the PS1 and PS2 were used up with the PS3. Businesses are more concerned with earning a profit than total console sold. Sony wasn't making a profit until 2 years ago.

They lost some of their market share to Nintendo and MS. They are also lost most of their third party exclusives and now share them with MS. The PS2 at this same point in time was already at 100+ million console sold. That was what I'm comparing it to. The PS3 would need that extra 6 years to even get close or surpass the PS1's LTD sales.

I need a link for the actual month of November or rather December. Even then it doesn't matter much. The gen is basically over and it took Sony 6+ years to even catch up when the Wii did it in less time. I'm willing bet if the PS3 was $350 at launch it would had done the same thing.
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"
#57Gandalf the IstariPosted 12/7/2012 11:35:52 AM
CrimsonGear80 posted...
70 Million plus sold, making them neck and neck with the 360 despite launching a year later at a much higher price point?

yeah.....what were they thinking....

This ignores the reality that PS3 is essentially operating in 3 markets while Xbox operates in 2.

Sony made mistakes this generation thinking they wouldn't have competition, and assumed 3rd party support despite creating a console that was (at least originally) overly complicated to program for.

I just now finally picked one up at 200$ for 250gigs w/ 4 games. First time I felt like price point and exclusive titles lined up enough to warrant the purchase. Hopefully FFV13 will turn out to not be vaporware.
#58pokemon_45_79_1Posted 12/7/2012 11:37:54 AM
Oh this topic turned into a soap opera what a surprise on this board damn missed most of it, the usual suspects bashing Sony for no reason trying to push there post as fact no opinions, and fanboys over reacting as everyone is doing in this topic.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.
#59Neoreloaded313Posted 12/7/2012 11:42:59 AM
Nicodimus posted...
-I have WWE 13, and guess what? It rumbles and there is no option to turn it off. Pisses me right off.

You can't turn it off by holding the HOME button on the controller and doing it that way?

Where would I do that? I've never seen an option for it in the XMB.

You can turn it off by HOLDING the HOME button on the controller, selecting controller settings, option works regardless of game.
---
Trolls and ignorant people gets added to my ignore list.
#60Bestia_SomniaPosted 12/7/2012 11:44:00 AM
I laugh at whoever it was that justified the original $599 price tag with "you get what you pay for" because last time I checked, the launch PS3s had the highest failure rate out of any model of PS3 yet. They had a design flaw that caused pockets of trapped air to gather up in a specific are of the system's interior. YLOD was pretty common back then. The PS3 was inferior to the 360 in every way when it first launched. Every game had a massive install, yet the HDD really wasn't that big.