This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what the hell was Sony thinking this gen?

#61UniversquallPosted 12/7/2012 11:45:46 AM
Gandalf the Istari posted...
This ignores the reality that PS3 is essentially operating in 3 markets while Xbox operates in 2.

True. A lot of people are clinging to that since MS gave up yet again.
---
NP: (PS2) Suikoden III (PS3) PSABR (Vita) PSABR (PC) Gothic (Wii U) Xenoblade (360) Nothing lately
#62pokemon_45_79_1Posted 12/7/2012 11:48:06 AM
From: Universquall | Posted: 12/7/2012 10:45:46 AM | #061
Gandalf the Istari posted...
This ignores the reality that PS3 is essentially operating in 3 markets while Xbox operates in 2.

True. A lot of people are clinging to that since MS gave up yet again.
---
NP: (PS2) Suikoden III (PS3) PSABR (Vita) PSABR (PC) Gothic (Wii U) Xenoblade (360) Nothing lately

Sony is operating in 3 markets, MS is only 1 really now,can't count the asian market as one technically, Japan is part of the asian market.

If MS really wanted to gain better exposure else where they need to expand.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.
#634dfmaEFPosted 12/7/2012 11:50:23 AM
Bestia_Somnia posted...
I laugh at whoever it was that justified the original $599 price tag with "you get what you pay for" because last time I checked, the launch PS3s had the highest failure rate out of any model of PS3 yet. They had a design flaw that caused pockets of trapped air to gather up in a specific are of the system's interior. YLOD was pretty common back then. The PS3 was inferior to the 360 in every way when it first launched. Every game had a massive install, yet the HDD really wasn't that big.

Wanna share where you got that stuff from you're smoking?
---
Maturity: Make decisions, reflect them reasonably and stand up for them accordingly
Communication: Tell people what you know and they might not know
#64armageddon38Posted 12/7/2012 12:01:45 PM
Intriging topic regarding the stare of Playstation,
But to be honest with the amount of money Microsoft throws at any company that will listen are you really surprised where Sony and even Nintendo have been pushed into.
The next gen will be even worse in my opinion as Microsoft has already played there trump card in Windows 8, the next X-box has the same standard OS so will be coded for first everyone else will fight over the scraps.
A shame as I have enjoyed gaming since 1980 and all the Japanease companies that helped make this such fun and wonderment will be missed.
Mark this gen as the last with any real competion but in the end none of this will matter to consumers who buy the same product each year . . . . .
#65CrimsonGear80Posted 12/7/2012 12:08:21 PM
You're not about to have a severe meltdown from the amount of complaints and negativity in this topic and on the board as of late, are you?

Speaking of meltdowns....

Anyhow, for the topic, I am sick to death of Sony. I have given them 6+ years to provide me with JRPGs, why I loved the PlayStation brand in the first place. Now I feel betrayed and I think I am starting to hate Sony for letting me down. Six F***ING years and the PS3 is a desolate place for good JRPGs.

Look, I know you are bad at everything you attempt to do, but making it so painfully obvious just takes the fun out of it.
---
DmC looks like a good game. I also enjoyed the latest Final Fantasy and Resident Evil games. I like video games.
http://imgon.net/di-CFMD.gif NNID: ArsenalGear
#66CrimsonGear80Posted 12/7/2012 12:10:24 PM
Yes it is a failure when compared to the PS2.

Nobody is ever going to consider 70 million+ sold of anything a "failure". Ever.

Compare it to whatever you want, it's not going to happen.
---
DmC looks like a good game. I also enjoyed the latest Final Fantasy and Resident Evil games. I like video games.
http://imgon.net/di-CFMD.gif NNID: ArsenalGear
#67ChaoticKnucklesPosted 12/7/2012 12:15:21 PM
Raven_Cyarm posted...
tangnets posted...
Releasing the controller without rumble?

Was a copyright issue with another company that was eventually resolved.

Letting big name PS2 exclusive series like Final Fantasy, Devil may Cry, and Tekken go multiplatform

Sony doesn't own any of the respective companies so why do they have to remain loyal?

Games like TLG and Versus 13 having no release in sight

Yeah, it's Sony's fault that Square Enix hasn't finished a game yet! GRR SONY!

Removing PS2 BC?

Not taking preventative measures against the PSN hack(though they handled the aftermath well)

Only legitimate arguments and they're both old as dirt.

So because the argument is old it's no longer valid?
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#68dj___rollPosted 12/7/2012 12:15:52 PM
Quote:Nicodimus posted...
Disclaimer: I like the PS3 and think it's overall a pretty decent system

Starting the price at $599? - Had no problems with it, in fact I've bought 3 of them. You get what you pay for.

Releasing the controller without rumble? - I consider this a selling point. Rumble is a dumb 90s gimmick.

Letting big name PS2 exclusive series like Final Fantasy, Devil may Cry, and Tekken go multiplatform - All 3 series have gone downhill at this point anyway, so it didn't really matter

Games like TLG and Versus 13 having no release in sight - That's an odd and very specific criticism.

Removing PS2 BC? - Yup. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Biting the hand that feeds. If the PS4 doesn't have it, I won't get one. Period.

Not taking preventative measures against the PSN hack(though they handled the aftermath well) - To be fair it could have happened to anyone.

Sony has really been dropping the ball this gen. What's been up? They were the kings with the PS2. - The rise of the smart phone, Facebook, and the Wii has shifted the big $$$ to casual gamers, who are less likely to buy a PS3.

Wait, you don't like rumble?

Man I'd find it so odd if I was playing a shooter for example, got shot, and.... nothing. No rumble from the controller, just sound with no impact. It'd just feel... wrong. lol

@justinlynch3
That's the great thing about opinions. I hate rumble myself. I don't need a random hand vibration to enjoy my games.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#69AceAndJunpeiPosted 12/7/2012 12:22:51 PM
"Rumble is last gen."

"Backwards compatibility is a legacy of the Playstation brand, and we do it better than the competition."

"Children will learn discipline if they want our $600 machine."

"Motion control and touch screens are nothing more than a fad."

"We don't consider the Wii to be our competition."

Every one of those quotes is why Sony is in 3rd place and will never leave it this gen. Terrible.
---
Now Playing:AC3(360), NSMB U (WiiU), Zero Escape (3DS), Wipeout 2048 (Vita)
#70CGB_SpenderPosted 12/7/2012 12:27:09 PM
tangnets posted...
Disclaimer: I like the PS3 and think it's overall a pretty decent system

Starting the price at $599?
Releasing the controller without rumble?
Letting big name PS2 exclusive series like Final Fantasy, Devil may Cry, and Tekken go multiplatform
Games like TLG and Versus 13 having no release in sight
Removing PS2 BC?
Not taking preventative measures against the PSN hack(though they handled the aftermath well)

Sony has really been dropping the ball this gen. What's been up? They were the kings with the PS2.

I'd add these to the list.

PSP Go...nuff said
Vita was pretty much dead from the beginning
Move is a worthless Wiimote clone
Sony made the PS3 hard to program for so we get terrible ports all the time
PSN is still not up to the standards of XBL

Sony has really screwed up this gen and it's no wonder Xbox is currently dominating sales in the U.S. I'd imagine even previously loyal gamers would have to be doubting them at this point.
---
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2210/4016647774_8f8d4e0212.jpg