This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what the hell was Sony thinking this gen?

#71imsalingawayPosted 12/7/2012 11:51:55 AM
I just think Sony was banking on this gen having a focus on "mature" over "casual". I remember that one reason the PS2 sold well was because it had a DVD player, and a fair amount of people bought one because it wasn't that much more expensive than an actual player. The PS3 seemed to be trying to be a kind of hybrid console/PC at first, (with the ability to install a different OS and having a blu-ray player) and I guess they just figured that people might buy a PS3 for the same reasons as a PS2; either a gaming console or a multimedia player. Because of the amount of hardware in a PS3 when it launched, I guess they assumed people would understand and buy one regardless.

I also get the impression that Sony just didn't pay as much attention to their gaming division in general this gen, at least in the beginning. It's purely an opinion, but I just think that some higher ups simply figured the PS3 was going to churn out money like the PS2 did. Only after the PS3 started not doing so well did I finally get the impression that Sony cared about the device again.

That may not be a good way to describe what I think happened, but it's close enough.
#72chiefofsb78Posted 12/7/2012 11:53:38 AM
king_madden posted...
*moves topic to about 5-6 years ago*

fix'd

^This^
#73NicodimusPosted 12/7/2012 12:06:13 PM
I laugh at whoever it was that justified the original $599 price tag with "you get what you pay for" because last time I checked, the launch PS3s had the highest failure rate out of any model of PS3 yet.

I was referring to the huge amount of cool features that the launch system offered. I felt it was well worth $600.

By the way, since you brought it up, yes the hardware has had failure problems. In fact, I had not one, but TWO PS3s die on me, and you know what? I bought a third one, because I still value what it brings to the table.
---
PSN #1: Nicodimus - Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Kaylee (Fighter)
PSN #2: Nicodimus222 - Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Mina (Mage)
#74SerOnionKnightPosted 12/7/2012 12:21:04 PM
People say "Well they sold just as much as xbox almost". The fact is that when the public thinks video games they think Xbox. Used to be PS2 but times have changed.

Great list of blunders TC. Sony makes great hardware and great games but can't market and has no grasp on what the public wants.
#75pokemon_45_79_1Posted 12/7/2012 12:23:22 PM
From: SerOnionKnight | Posted: 12/7/2012 12:21:04 PM | #074
People say "Well they sold just as much as xbox almost". The fact is that when the public thinks video games they think Xbox. Used to be PS2 but times have changed.

Great list of blunders TC. Sony makes great hardware and great games but can't market and has no grasp on what the public wants.

At least its only in NA, because MS is losing elsewhere around the world.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.
#76SerOnionKnightPosted 12/7/2012 12:27:08 PM
Raven_Cyarm posted...
tangnets posted...
Releasing the controller without rumble?

Was a copyright issue with another company that was eventually resolved.

While this was true instead of saying that publicly Sony instead came up with the line that it was last gen tech. They went blue in the face screaming about it being last gen yet finally acknowledged that it was what gamers wanted and finally settled and included it. I think a lot of gamers would have been more understanding if they came out and said they had a lawsuit with the patent holder and were working to resolve it. Instead they do what Sony alsways does, they ignore the negative feedback until it grows to unavoidable levels.
#77lonlonmilkloverPosted 12/7/2012 12:31:07 PM
As long as Sony has Ratchet & Clank, a few exclusive Katamari games, and the occasional exclusive unique masterpiece like 3D Dot Game Heroes... I'll buy it.

But indeed, PS3 and Xbox each only had a small handful of games I enjoyed this gen :-/

(See sig for full console game list)
---
www.backloggery.com/lonlonmilklover
#78SerOnionKnightPosted 12/7/2012 12:31:24 PM
pokemon_45_79_1 posted...

Possibly but I don't really care about the console wars nor do I can what sells where. As long as I can get great games at cheap prices I will buy for whatever console I can get it on. Poor children fighting over which is better because you have to play on what your parents buy for you.
#79SightoPosted 12/7/2012 12:31:45 PM
Nicodimus posted...
Final Fantasy is ALWAYS a killer app, and it is ALWAYS a system seller, no matter how contentious the last installment was.

This could be argued as late as 2002. In 2012, it's simply not true. The franchise has been terribly damaged over the last decade.

Because you and the rest of the peanut gallery didn't enjoy the FFXIII games?
I don't think so.
---
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/15/15988000/ngbbs47fa102e7660f.gif
#80pokemon_45_79_1Posted 12/7/2012 12:33:02 PM
From: SerOnionKnight | Posted: 12/7/2012 12:31:24 PM | #078
pokemon_45_79_1 posted...

Possibly but I don't really care about the console wars nor do I can what sells where. As long as I can get great games at cheap prices I will buy for whatever console I can get it on. Poor children fighting over which is better because you have to play on what your parents buy for you.

Thats true idc either of the console war, its stupid.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.