This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will you buy the FF14 remake?

#51SayoriaPosted 12/8/2012 9:01:08 AM
badboy posted...
CallOfGoaty posted...
Monthly Subscription = No buy.

---
Sailor Moon returns 2013! O_o
#52GiranXYZPosted 12/8/2012 9:01:16 AM
No. I hated the first FF MMO, I hated the second too, and I'm definitely not going to buy the third one (even hough it's a remake of the second). I am done with FF MMOs.
---
Whatever
#53Dave4202Posted 12/8/2012 9:01:19 AM
I really want it but I'm definitely on the fence. If the yearly fees are under 60$ I'll definitely be playing it but anything more and I'll wait for the Free to Play version to launch a few months later which is what ALL MMO's seem to be doing now days.
---
http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/overview/?name=KingGuy420&platform=ps3
#54ZombiDeadZombiPosted 12/8/2012 9:09:09 AM
After that super depressing final day/ending of the original XIV and seeing Bahamut destroy everything, you are damn right I'm gonna get A Realm Reborn.
#55LamesyPosted 12/8/2012 9:09:43 AM
antoinejones posted...
PENDRAG0ON posted...
Impaired Medic posted...
And people who don't want to pay monthly fees don't understand what they're for and why they're necessary.

I understand exactly what they are for, still doesn't change the fact that I refuse to pay for the right to play a game I already own.

no you dont own ANY game you buy... if you OWN something its yours to do WHATEVER you want with it... so if you own a game making copies of it and giving them away or selling them is PERFECTLY legal.... yet is it not called piracy?

plus theres a LOT of things you buy in life that you have to pay for after owning it.. if you get a car youve gotta pay 15+ bucks a month on it (gas) if you have a house.. you have to pay every month for electricity and water (good luck living in JUST a house with none of those things) or an even better example... you buy a cell phone... you own the phone right? so why do you have to pay monthly to use it?

because if that fee isnt being paid theres no cell towers or satellites being built and whatever else is required to make those phone calls happen and reach wherever you need them to go... lets see how well verizon or any other cell phone company does if they just charge you for the phone then after that offer free phone service...

MMOs arent like CoD or any other non MMO game where the game stays practically the same/unchanged for 6 months until they release a new map pack.. and mmo is so vast you well see things tomorrow that you didnt see today, new things get added every month.. or theres so much to do youll NEVER do it all (i played FFXI 8 years and i can name PLENTY ive yet to see or do).. how many ppl that play free online games can say that? So yeah its clear to see where your 15 bucks a month is going.

All of this is invalid. A game or indeed any piece of software does not "REQUIRE" an internet connection to operate unless it is doing cloud operations -- loading data to or from your computer which does not exist locally. When you click on an NPC, does their dialogue load directly from Sq/E's servers? When your mage uses firaga does the spell animation get processed elsewhere and displayed on your screen? Of course not. Game operations are performed locally - it should all be there within the software. A discretely implemented game should be entirely playable in single-player offline mode. Updates, fixes and additional content are certainly worth charging for, but it is a separate service and should be sold as such.
#56antoinejonesPosted 12/8/2012 9:23:08 AM
GiranXYZ posted...
No. I hated the first FF MMO, I hated the second too, and I'm definitely not going to buy the third one (even hough it's a remake of the second). I am done with FF MMOs.

well at least youve actually PLAYED it as opposed to being one of those "im not interested in mmos/dont like mmos" (despite never even playing one).. every game genre i dont like Ive PLAYED such a game before making that decision..

or one of those "paying to play a game is stupid" kinda people.. so I can at least respect YOUR opinion
---
My first time and day in Jeuno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.
#57antoinejonesPosted 12/8/2012 9:25:39 AM
Dave4202 posted...
I really want it but I'm definitely on the fence. If the yearly fees are under 60$ I'll definitely be playing it but anything more and I'll wait for the Free to Play version to launch a few months later which is what ALL MMO's seem to be doing now days.

umm its 13 bucks a month (15 if you want additional characters).. as for going free to play dont count on it.... FFXI has been out 12 years (10 in the US) and ts still pay to play... pay to play get a lot more frequent and diverse content than free to play games... its what hooks you to give them money every month.. whereas free to play usually stays stagnant or unchanging for 6+ months but youve got bored of it long before that
---
My first time and day in Jeuno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.
#58antoinejonesPosted 12/8/2012 9:35:45 AM
Lamesy posted...
antoinejones posted...
PENDRAG0ON posted...
Impaired Medic posted...
And people who don't want to pay monthly fees don't understand what they're for and why they're necessary.

I understand exactly what they are for, still doesn't change the fact that I refuse to pay for the right to play a game I already own.

no you dont own ANY game you buy... if you OWN something its yours to do WHATEVER you want with it... so if you own a game making copies of it and giving them away or selling them is PERFECTLY legal.... yet is it not called piracy?

plus theres a LOT of things you buy in life that you have to pay for after owning it.. if you get a car youve gotta pay 15+ bucks a month on it (gas) if you have a house.. you have to pay every month for electricity and water (good luck living in JUST a house with none of those things) or an even better example... you buy a cell phone... you own the phone right? so why do you have to pay monthly to use it?

because if that fee isnt being paid theres no cell towers or satellites being built and whatever else is required to make those phone calls happen and reach wherever you need them to go... lets see how well verizon or any other cell phone company does if they just charge you for the phone then after that offer free phone service...

MMOs arent like CoD or any other non MMO game where the game stays practically the same/unchanged for 6 months until they release a new map pack.. and mmo is so vast you well see things tomorrow that you didnt see today, new things get added every month.. or theres so much to do youll NEVER do it all (i played FFXI 8 years and i can name PLENTY ive yet to see or do).. how many ppl that play free online games can say that? So yeah its clear to see where your 15 bucks a month is going.

All of this is invalid. A game or indeed any piece of software does not "REQUIRE" an internet connection to operate unless it is doing cloud operations -- loading data to or from your computer which does not exist locally. When you click on an NPC, does their dialogue load directly from Sq/E's servers? When your mage uses firaga does the spell animation get processed elsewhere and displayed on your screen? Of course not. Game operations are performed locally - it should all be there within the software. A discretely implemented game should be entirely playable in single-player offline mode.

did you really just say that? sure the stuff you mentioned doe happen locally.. but you know hat doesnt? that guy trying to pvp you.. or those 20 guys standing next to you helping you take down that "locally" created dragon, or the guy who just happened to be in the right place at ten right time showed up and saving you from certain death as you were just second away from dying to a pack of wolves you accidently stumbled upon while minding your own business exploring a forest

or the 800 other ppl running around town that youre bumping into and conversing with, making friends/trading/bartering with.. is like a living breathing (virtual) world that continues to live on even after youve logged of... last i checked something that massive in scale requires servers and upkeep.. and servers and upkeep requires money.. which is where your 15 bucks a month comes in... youre paying for the "experience" not the game.. its not like some "10 guys just got spawned in a random room and shoot at eachother for 10 minutes.. the end (and the next time you go in the evidence from that firefight is nowhere to be seen).
---
#59servb0tsPosted 12/8/2012 9:54:01 AM(edited)
antoinejones posted...
GiranXYZ posted...

well at least youve actually PLAYED it as opposed to being one of those "im not interested in mmos/dont like mmos" (despite never even playing one).. every game genre i dont like Ive PLAYED such a game before making that decision..

or one of those "paying to play a game is stupid" kinda people.. so I can at least respect YOUR opinion

^^Pretty much this, even I played FPS, Unreal Tournament, 007, Resistant 1. even cousin Xbox Halo. it may not of been COD, but still I give that genre a try before I see that that genre isn't my cup of tea.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3
-PS3 FFXIV ARR 2.0 Day 1 Buy I can't wait to maxout Summoner
#60LamesyPosted 12/8/2012 10:06:27 AM
antoinejones posted...
did you really just say that? sure the stuff you mentioned doe happen locally.. but you know hat doesnt? that guy trying to pvp you.. or those 20 guys standing next to you helping you take down that "locally" created dragon, or the guy who just happened to be in the right place at ten right time showed up and saving you from certain death as you were just second away from dying to a pack of wolves you accidently stumbled upon while minding your own business exploring a forest

or the 800 other ppl running around town that youre bumping into and conversing with, making friends/trading/bartering with.. is like a living breathing (virtual) world that continues to live on even after youve logged of... last i checked something that massive in scale requires servers and upkeep.. and servers and upkeep requires money.. which is where your 15 bucks a month comes in... youre paying for the "experience" not the game.. its not like some "10 guys just got spawned in a random room and shoot at eachother for 10 minutes.. the end (and the next time you go in the evidence from that firefight is nowhere to be seen).

Yeah of course it's understood that all multiplayer data is part of that nonlocal pool. Which, again, is discrete. NOT required for your game to function. Is it so hard to understand that a multiplayer-averse person might be interested in the battle systems contained in an MMO? Fun modern RPGs are a rarity now and it would be nice if an MMORPG could pull double duty by giving that offline option as well.

I can agree that $15 a month is for "the MMO experience." There is, however, a more bare-bones (single player RPG) experience to be had with just the $30 local software. Any attempt to disable offline functionality means placing an artificial limit on the use of your software.