This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you gamers decide which new console to buy ?

#1James MasonPosted 12/7/2012 10:05:52 AM
What's the most important aspect to you when buying a new console ? - Results (33 votes)
I look at the list of exclusive games announced for it.
30.3% (10 votes)
I look at the hardware in comparaison to the competition's hardware.
3.03% (1 votes)
I look at the gimmicks and new technology introduced (Motion, 3D, ETC)
0% (0 votes)
I check if my old , favorite franchises are announced.
21.21% (7 votes)
I examine the retail cost, online costs, hidden costs and go for the cheapest.
6.06% (2 votes)
I examine the online infrastructure and take the strongest online platform.
0% (0 votes)
I wait for review scores for hardware and for launch kinks to be ironed out.
3.03% (1 votes)
I wait for a hardware price drop and for games I really want to actually be out before buying.
21.21% (7 votes)
I look at the track record of the company and choose the one that's most likely to succeed.
3.03% (1 votes)
I will blindly buy any sequel to a console I already owned due to Fanboyish Loyalty.
12.12% (4 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I'm curious what causes people to choose one system over the other... So here's a poll and a topic to discuss why you choose a console over another...

Feel free to discuss...
---
The wind carried screams from the west. I could not help but smile - Kain PSN : Stealth_Cobra | MGO ID : Killed by Konami's Greed
#2James Mason(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 10:16:23 AM
Here's my two cents on the issue.

My console buying starts by analysing the hardware and features of each consoles, along with their price range. This gives me a quick idea on what to expect from each consoles. I take into account stuff like the mandatory Xbox live membership, etc, into calculating costs...

I read alot on what developpers think of the new hardware and the overall perception of the new hardware, as we all know a console can bomb this day and age... And I don't want to be stuck with an oversized paperweight collecting dust in my home.

Most of my time is then spend building a list of annouced games that interest me on a system... If the list is smaller than let's say 10 titles, I won't even consider a purchase... This also takes into account exclusives and games I simply cannot get elsewhere (no pc ports coming)...

I bought a PS2 on launch day simply because I had a 40+ list of announced games I was interested in back then... In contrast, I bought my PS3 only when MGS4 was released (MGS4 Bundle), because it was the first truly must-own PS3 titles for me... And I waited for better hardware and a price drop.

For the upcoming generation, I'm going with either Microsoft or Sony... It really depends on which one can wow me and secure enough exclusive titles to really make a difference... With a preference on Sony cause even though they have been failing in terms of buisness lately (PSP GO, PSP Vita, Being Hacked, ETC)... They have a good track record of sticking with their consoles for long periods and I love their exclusives (Uncharted,God Of War, Heavy Rain, Shadow of the Colossus)...

But it's still up for grabs... I don't like Microsoft at all ,but if their showing are superior and they have the exclusives and multi-platform, I might be switching sides... It's all about picking the winner...
---
The wind carried screams from the west. I could not help but smile - Kain PSN : Stealth_Cobra | MGO ID : Killed by Konami's Greed
#3chiefofsb78Posted 12/7/2012 10:16:27 AM
I been a PS fan sense PS1 no need for any other console at the time and its been pretty much no different now PS3 does the same as any console out there now better plus more im just a dedicated PS user and its only gonna get better
#4SuperShadowAcePosted 12/7/2012 10:18:24 AM
Exclusives, only reason I'm getting a WIi-U.
---
http://ofnoobsandmen.com/ <----Good comic
Game contact information in profile.
#5MadDewgPosted 12/7/2012 10:21:28 AM
Exclusives and see which has my favorite franchises. I don't give a **** about who made the console.
---
GTag:MadDogg730 PSN:lMadDogg Playin' bayonetta, dungeon fighter live, gears of war 3, tales of graces, borderlands, dust: an elysian tail.
#6TheRavenKCPosted 12/7/2012 10:23:46 AM
It's not a choice for me because I always buy them all.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/TheRavenKC Play Like A Raven
http://www.xboxgamertag.com/search/TheRavenKC/
#7cavebear56Posted 12/7/2012 10:24:30 AM
Games being released at launch.

Games projected for the future.

Potential for interesting or new experiences/games.

Cost. I'm a miser.

Parts/power are of little importance (I have a PC for arguing nothing but numbers if I really wanted, or for the high end graphics) if the game's aren't there.

Ultimately I tend to wait until enough games that interest me are out to warrant a purchase.

Obviously the amount differs based upon how much the console costs.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#8SubZeroChief23Posted 12/7/2012 10:26:03 AM
I look at which system has better games and online play. 360 wins both. Halo + Gears + XBL gives 360 the advantage for me.
#9Lelouch71Posted 12/7/2012 11:08:57 AM
Price and games. I don't care anything else well except reliability of course.
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"
#10jaygoodPosted 12/7/2012 11:10:31 AM
That "ONE" game to push me over the edge. Thats all it takes.
---
Currently playing:Borderlands 2 (PS3)
GT/PSN: Quadrunner76