This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Game of the Decade nominees minus the most impactful game of the last decade???

#31all_that_juicePosted 12/8/2012 2:22:28 AM(edited)
Gears not only streamlined and popularized the modern TPS, it also cemented the Unreal Engine 3 as the dominant engine in game development as it was the first UE3 game released on consoles. Think of where this gen would be without the UE3. We're talking Batman Arkham series, Mass Effect series, Bioshock, Deus Ex, Splinter Cell and Tom Clancy games, etc.
---
isn't hearing technically a dimension? so this should be called the 4DS. - I_Always_Die
#32zUkUuPosted 12/8/2012 2:25:36 AM(edited)
OF course it has to do something with Gears and not that the frigging unreal engines are used since god knows how long?!
wth? you're trying too hard. again, gears might be a enjoyable series, and your favorite game, but it has no influence whatsoever on anything.
TPS were long established before Gears. in fact, that was a very mainstream genre a few years back, where all that cover-shoot-and-hide TPS were released. (started with Kill Switch in 03/04).

wiki quote:
Kill Switch is best remembered for being the first third-person shooter to feature the cover system as its core game mechanic,[5] and for introducing the blind fire mechanic to the cover system.[6]. Several shooters took inspiration from Kill Switch and implemented similar cover systems. In the design of Gears of War, lead developer Cliff Bleszinski of Epic Games credits Kill Switch's cover system as one of the influences they put into the game's design,[16] as Kill Switch's lead designer Chris Esaki was employed by Epic Games and was involved in the development of Gears of War.[1]

The bromance genre was also not spawned by gears, neither the over the top action style nor the gore nor anything.
#33ShyneWaxPosted 12/8/2012 3:26:15 AM
I agree with op and dont like cod. Any one who doesnt agree with op is a child that lets their subjectivity cloud reality.

Same with gears later on in topic. You can spew kill switch all you want. Kill switch didnt make tps with cover mechanics big gears did. It don't mater who did it first. It maters who did it best
---
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
#34WantedOutlawPosted 12/8/2012 3:37:43 AM
ShyneWax posted...
I agree with op and dont like cod. Any one who doesnt agree with op is a child that lets their subjectivity cloud reality.

Same with gears later on in topic. You can spew kill switch all you want. Kill switch didnt make tps with cover mechanics big gears did. It don't mater who did it first. It maters who did it best

This. I'm not a CoD fan but I don't blindly hate on it either.
CoD 4 had a huge HUGE impact on not only the FPS genre but the entire industry. Who cares if YOU personally don't like it or what it represents. It changed gaming. Period. Whether it's for the better or worse.. doesn't matter. I had a HUGE effect on what gaming is and will continue to be. It should have been nominated.
#35killakPosted 12/8/2012 3:41:35 AM
Just because you destroy creativity in gaming doesn't mean you deserve to be game of the decade.

Gaming is still rife with creativity. You're simply jaded and/or an FPS hater which means your opinion that CoD4 can't be a game of the decade........is moot.
---
Greer Logic: "I don't want a game that's always the same. I want a game that never changes"
#36zUkUuPosted 12/8/2012 3:41:50 AM
it didn't changed gaming.
it was successful - that's the only thing CoD did.
that it became a copy-cat title for so many other games is only due to that success. the action-gameplay-bombast was also somewhat new in terms of presentation, but even that was partially also available beforehand.

Game of the Decade should go to a truly amazing experience, not just gameplay or something. HL2 is a safe bet, but there are other games that would be more fitting imo.
#37kcypher2000Posted 12/8/2012 3:56:46 AM
zUkUu posted...
that it became a copy-cat title for so many other games is only due to that success. the action-gameplay-bombast was also somewhat new in terms of presentation, but even that was partially also available beforehand.

Game of the Decade should go to a truly amazing experience, not just gameplay or something. HL2 is a safe bet, but there are other games that would be more fitting imo.

You obviously never played a CoD game if you think its appeal is about the campaign. Its about the MP which has been its greatest strength. HL MP was just standard fpser gimmicks until modders made the original CS. Modding community made HL Multiplayer. HL did start the whole cinematic approach to FPSers but that wasn't even this decade. HL2 did nothing.

CoD MP pushed the whole class system with levels to new heights for fpsers and anyone who thinks a CoD game never changes over the years just prove they don't play them. I am tired of them myself but I can recognize the big differences in each one. Sure its still CoD but you are a moron if you expect them to erase their whole formula for success. But there are big tweaks to each years game.
#38AXKSIONPosted 12/8/2012 4:03:12 AM
Weiland101 posted...
DragoonGriffith posted...
Raven_Cyarm posted...
Just because you destroy creativity in gaming doesn't mean you deserve to be game of the decade.

Just take a look at yourselves,you are a disgrace. Did the 8 year old you really want to grow up into what you've become. Take a good look at yourselves.

The people who are the disgrace are the ones who like suckey generic shooter trash.
---
http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s574/akxsion/Nintendo.png http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s574/akxsion/SMRPG.jpg
#39zUkUuPosted 12/8/2012 4:31:21 AM
kcypher2000 posted...
zUkUu posted...

You obviously never played a CoD game if you think its appeal is about the campaign. Its about the MP which has been its greatest strength. HL MP was just standard fpser gimmicks until modders made the original CS. Modding community made HL Multiplayer. HL did start the whole cinematic approach to FPSers but that wasn't even this decade. HL2 did nothing.

CoD MP pushed the whole class system with levels to new heights for fpsers and anyone who thinks a CoD game never changes over the years just prove they don't play them. I am tired of them myself but I can recognize the big differences in each one. Sure its still CoD but you are a moron if you expect them to erase their whole formula for success. But there are big tweaks to each years game.

I started with CoD 1 actually and played up to MW2.

Multiplayer doesn't matter in this case. otherwise, WoW, SC2 etc would have been way more important.

and no, there aren't big tweaks, there is zero innovation when it comes to Single player. as for multiplayer, every new game feels like an addon - nothing more. it's just new maps and gimmicks on the same engine. the series is simply over saturated.

HL2 wouldn't be my first pick either.