This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The best JRPG this gen?

#111XImperialDragonPosted 12/8/2012 12:22:55 PM(edited)
We could just call them RPGs and be done with it. Or, hey, action RPGs. Since, well, that's what those are, but wait: Then Tales of Xillia gets lumped in with Dragon's Dogma and that just doesn't make sense, does it?

I do find it really amusing though that this J/W argument (which was started years ago by /v. Unfortunately) didn't exist when King's Field and Anachronox were released.

What I find even weirder is that there's still people acting like their opinion on the matter is proof that certain games must be J/W RPGs. That's pretty hard-headed.

How about:
JRPG = Japanese Role Playing Game (Location)
WRPG = Western Role Playing Game (Location)
JSRPG = Japanese-styled Role Playing Game (whether Japanese or not, Japanese cultural implications/influences are visible in these games)
WSRPG = Western-styled Role Playing Game (Whether Western or not, Western cultural implications/influences are visible in these games)

Therefore, people can classify Demon's Souls as a JRPG which just so happens to be a WSRPG. Now everyone wins.

Though, I've still yet to play a single WRPG that plays anything remotely close to Dark Souls and its combat is still significantly closer to Monster Hunter with character stats, which again, that's an extremely Japanese game. But, hell with it, people are hell-bent on classifying Dark Souls as a WRPG despite the fact that it plays nothing like most WRPGs. So maybe people should take advantage of the above categorizations that way arguments like this thread's stop happening every other week?
---
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo DS. In this game, you set your DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.
#112TheGreekWarriorPosted 12/8/2012 12:24:55 PM
Xenoblade
Lost Odyssey
Valkyria Chronicles
#113ScreamingMidgetPosted 12/8/2012 12:35:05 PM
People still don't get that D Souls are action RPGs?
#114ConnuhPosted 12/8/2012 12:35:29 PM
Mass Effect 3 with an Asian Shephard.
---
If you're poor, grow a beard.
#115IzzythewinnerPosted 12/8/2012 12:37:37 PM
You all fail as gamers for not even mentioning xenoblade chronicles. Or persona 4
---
PSN NAME: IzzyTehPwnr
XBL: Izzy The Owner
#116Trailblazer34Posted 12/8/2012 12:49:51 PM
DragoonGriffith posted...
Xenoblade, Vesperia, Radiant Historia.

Probably some more who are just as good, but those were the first on my mind.
#117MinamoPosted 12/8/2012 12:56:21 PM
Xenoblade. In fact, I'd put it in the top 5 greatest JRPGs ever made.

I will never agree that Valkyria Chronicles and Demon/Dark Souls are JRPGs, but they are some of the best games available for the PS3.
#118XImperialDragonPosted 12/8/2012 1:02:13 PM
You all fail as gamers for not even mentioning xenoblade chronicles. Or persona 4

... What thread are you reading? I saw Xenoblade posted multiple times, and saw Persona 4 as well.

I saw no less than 10 people mention Xenoblade throughout the course of this thread. Apparently you can only do 5 quotes in a post, 'cause I was going to put every single one of them here lol
---
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo DS. In this game, you set your DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.
#119zUkUuPosted 12/8/2012 1:13:36 PM
Xenoblade is just a very polished jrpg, but it's nothing special. bland characters, bland story, nice setting idea, but nothing done with it, solid gameplay, forgettable music and tremendously bad fetch quests - tho, those are optional so that shouldn't count against it much. it's good, but doesn't stick out one bit imo.
#120Gandalf the IstariPosted 12/8/2012 1:13:43 PM
Xenoblade or Vesperia