This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The best JRPG this gen?

#81ViVi_0rnitierPosted 12/8/2012 9:48:56 AM
Large_Tonberry posted...
PHEEliNUX posted...
ViVi_0rnitier posted...
It's either Star Ocean 4 or Nier. There aren't that many RPGs on the PS3. If we are talking about all platforms in general i will say The Last Remnant. Good storyline, cool characters amazing soundtrack (on of the best i experienced), refreshing battle system and lots of sidequests. Lost Odyssey is an honorable mention.

Wat?

He probably meant not many good RPGs, and he'd be right; they're few and far between.

This.
---
I go to gamefaqs board by jumping on to the internet and then use stuff like "report" and kill the crap outta trolls.
#82SilverWingZetaPosted 12/8/2012 9:49:18 AM
Lost Odyssey
---
Gamefaqs seems to full of nothing but butthurt babies sometimes.
#83confettistormPosted 12/8/2012 9:52:46 AM
Tales of Vesperia or Tales of Graces F
#84MortharianPosted 12/8/2012 10:14:32 AM
To everyone STILL saying Xenoblade: stop. Just stop. The TC has repeatedly said he/she is asking about PS3 GAMES. Playstation. Three.
#85WiiFan77Posted 12/8/2012 10:23:09 AM(edited)
Easily Devil Survivor 2.

If you're just talking about PS3 games, then DIsgaea 4.
---
???
#86nedrithPosted 12/8/2012 10:24:15 AM
All JRPG games this gen: Ark Rise Fantasia. Haven't seen such a great old-school decent difficulty JRPG in a long time. Not to mention unlike most other choices this is actually a classic turn-based RPG.

PS3 JRPG: Demon's souls for issues of the difficulty the game has and actually having to learn the location and enemy attacks.

FFXIII probably comes to a close second. Very well made game and the combat system is more involved than most games this gen. Rather hit auto-battle and do a ton of paradigm shifts every battle than just mash attack every battle.
#87Qc_StryderPosted 12/8/2012 10:35:24 AM
I'll go with Nier

The best story I've seen so far
Awesome characters/ soundtracks
---
Qc_Stryder said that^^
#88krillin4553Posted 12/8/2012 10:41:34 AM
Jx1010 posted...
DragoonGriffith posted...
Xenoblade, Vesperia, Radiant Historia.

Probably some more who are just as good, but those were the first on my mind.

Xenoblade is not on PS3
Vesperia never came out in the US

That's funny, I'm looking at my copy of Vesperia in English right now. x_x"

Anyways. I'd vote Vesperia or The Lost Odyssey for 360, Graces f for PS3, The Last Story for Wii. Radiant Historia for DS was really good but technically that was last gen.
---
XBL/PSN: DocDrazen
Awaiting: Tales of Xillia, Ni No Kuni, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Halo 4, Zone of the Enders HD
#89UnbralPosted 12/8/2012 11:02:12 AM
GildeDMonkey posted...
ScreamingMidget posted...
GildeDMonkey posted...
Auron772 posted...
Xenoblade Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, or Valkyria Chronicles get my vote.

Best JRPG that was made in this generation of consoles easily goes to Persona 4.

Persona 4 is a PS2 game... =) This generation?

Vita is current gen.

Persona 4 Golden on the Vita is just a port/remake with some extra stuff thrown in. If we're using that as a qualification for current gen.. Then we have to let all the old final fantasy remakes in too =D lol

Old FFs were good at the time, but haven't aged well. You don't consider a remake/game good by taking into account what it was, but what it is now, since it is a new game like any other. In that case, Persona 4 has aged well enough to be the best Vita game even for people who hasn't played the original, while old FF remakes are considered linear and bland, by today's standards.
---
The official Kouga Saburou of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#90RPG maniac87Posted 12/8/2012 11:06:46 AM(edited)
zUkUu posted...
RPG maniac87 posted...
zUkUu posted...
mash x and occasionally L1? O_o

You can make any game boring if you want to by ignoring everything they have to offer.
Don't stealth in MGS, just hold R1 to beat Mass Effect, beat DMC abusing stinger and the default moveset.

that stement is invalid, as in any other game it just does the same option SHOOT~, or Standard ATTACK~. in FF13 it actually CHOOSES for me what to do, and for the most part it also made sense (not that there were many options to begin with). manual selecting is also vastly inferior, as it costs more time to. execute. really, that gameplay is terrible. the fact that you CAN'T move in battle is even more worse. what's the point of AoE attacks when I can't positioning myself or move away from my team mate?

That's because while most of the past Final Fantasies were selection-based with some optional timing elements, FFXIII switched things around and was timing-based with some optional selection elements. After 12+ games most fans should be expected to know what elements to use on said enemies, so they're not going to give you an easy win just for that.

The characters all followed set rules, so you could hit everyone with an AOE by targeting the furthest enemy. If you timed it right, you could even get lightning to do her backflip that she does when returning to formation as the enemy is trying to attack her, avoiding their attack completely so you don't have to heal so much. There were a ton of great little elements like that that unfortunately went unnoticed by many calling themselves longtime FF fans.
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)