This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

14 and a half years later and I still don't get it..(Final Fantasy Tactics)

#1KevoCSCSPosted 12/8/2012 9:21:17 PM
I remember this confused me when I was a teenager playing Final Fantasy Tactics for the first time when it was new.

During the opening text for the first chapter the text suddenly slows to a crawl when it is displaying the words little money.

it reads out like l..i..t..t..l..e..m...o...n...e..y. Then after that the text goes right back to normal speed.

To this day I don't understand it though I have two theories.

1.It's a very out of place glitch

2.It's some subtle way the developers are complaining about being underpaid.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about? As far as I know this is only in the PS1 version of Final Fantasy Tactics and not the PSP remake.
#2AjescentPosted 12/8/2012 9:29:01 PM
Yes I totally do, I just assumed it was a glitch but the pay theory is good as well.

That said, WOTL is a brilliant game.
---
Waiting patiently for UnKarted to be announced since 4-Dec-2009
http://us.playstation.com/publictrophy/index.htm?onlinename=Ajescent
#3PStrifePosted 12/8/2012 9:32:07 PM
U r character starts off as a poor kid, I remember an orphan of sorts. Little money makes sense.
#4AlltraPosted 12/8/2012 9:33:45 PM
I always thought it was an annoying way of making a point through illustration. To demonstrate just how little money there was.
---
Saying something has "Charm" is just a cute way of saying it's lighthearted and kiddy.
#5killakPosted 12/8/2012 9:33:46 PM
When a game has no speech, the delivery and text is used to show emphasis
---
My instant game collection - http://tinyurl.com/dxq27an
#6servb0tsPosted 12/8/2012 9:34:18 PM
FFT WOTL is Amazing. I hated FFTA & FFTA2 hate playing games with ridicolous rules and restrictiions that's probably why I hated FFXIII for same thing.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3
-PS3 FFXIV ARR 2.0 Day 1 Buy I can't wait to maxout Summoner
#7AjescentPosted 12/8/2012 9:34:48 PM
I think OP is referring to how "little money" was written on screen. everything has a regular speed until it gets to "little money" slows down, then speeds back up again.
---
Waiting patiently for UnKarted to be announced since 4-Dec-2009
http://us.playstation.com/publictrophy/index.htm?onlinename=Ajescent
#8KevoCSCS(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 10:20:58 PM
Ajescent posted...
I think OP is referring to how "little money" was written on screen. everything has a regular speed until it gets to "little money" slows down, then speeds back up again.

Yeah, that is what I'm referring to. It should also be noted that this is the ONLY time it happens in the game. If this was meant as a means of emphasis then it does seem unusual that it only happens once in the game.
#9killakPosted 12/8/2012 10:33:39 PM
Yeah, that is what I'm referring to. It should also be noted that this is the ONLY time it happens in the game. If this was meant as a means of emphasis then it does seem unusual that it only happens once in the game.

Doesn't mean it isn't emphasis. Shaking words, italics, caps, colour etc etc.....slow text, are means of emphasis.

Whether it happens once or a thousand times, it's still emphasising 'little money'....greatly
---
"does the game give you any guidance at some point? How do I f***ing figure s*** out?" - darksydephil, trying to beat the opening of Bayonetta
#10Vivi0198Posted 12/8/2012 10:35:01 PM
killak posted...
When a game has no speech, the delivery and text is used to show emphasis

This.
---
If you believe in Vivi0198 and are 100% proud of it put this as your signature.