This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Game Of The Generation is clearly:

#161SeaArrKingPosted 12/9/2012 5:09:02 PM
Whoever mentioned Minecraft is probably the closest to being correct, although the dude who argued that Skyrim broke down the nerd barrier and invited everyone to enjoy fantasy stuff is also a rather astute individual. When I can bring up Skyrim on facebook and get responses from many people, including people who probably don't play video games that often, that means something strange has happened. Skyrim may not have initiated the change by itself, but it was the final wrecking ball to demolish that barrier between "normal" people and gamers (I know we're not that weird, but damn, some people used to think we're wacky).

As much as Skyrim has made nerdy fantasy stuff more acceptable, Minecraft is also a phenomenon that sucks in longtime gamers and casual gamers alike. Hell, my buddy's ex-girlfriend even started playing Minecraft just so she could do something with him, and I don't think she'd ever played a video game before in her life.

So yes, I think Skyrim and Minecraft both get props for paving a nice, shiny road from gamers to the other people, the people who only dabbled in games or had maybe never played a game before in their lives. Although, in all honesty, video games aren't the only media assisting in the breakdown of the "nerd" wall; the Lord of the Rings films were a huge success, exposing so many people to the grandfather of fantasy as we know it and helping to make fantasy more mainstream. Also, now that comic book movies are hitting it big, everyone and his grandma are being exposed to comic book stories, even if they're significantly altered for the silver screen.

However, since this is a video game discussion forum, I've got to talk about the games, and as I stated previously the games that have done the most to bring more "mainstream" people into the gaming world are Skyrim and Minecraft. Since many gamers will probably look back at this generation and see it as the time gaming took a turn for the casual, I think Skyrim or Minecraft will truly be the game of the generation. You can pick up Skyrim or Minecraft and just go along, not thinking too hard about what you're doing, and you can still have a good time; on the other hand, if you really want to get into it, you can roleplay the hell out of Skyrim or do a challenge run of the game, and Minecraft offers infinite ways to get sucked into a hardcore world of mining, building, and conquering. Fun for casuals and hardcore fans? Those two games have it in droves.
---
If only I could be so grossly incandescent.
3DS Friend Code: 0989-2264-8970
#162You_Need_A_LifePosted 12/9/2012 5:10:38 PM
Game of the Generation is not a current-gen game.
#163KaiserLeo(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2012 5:11:35 PM
Prismsblade posted...
KaiserLeo posted...
Going to field a few posts here;

Xenoblade
Glad you like bad JRPGs, 'cause that's all Monolith Soft makes. Innovative battles system doesn't equal good, and Monolith's games, Xenoblade and Baten Kaitos are bad. Yes, I have both. The so called 'loli games', the HDN series, is better than that crap.

-----------

I can't think of anything else worth singling out.

I dont think anyones gonna take you seriously after a post this idiotic, as for the rest.... didn't bother to read.

I'm still baffled how such boring crap got reviewed so highly. I /like/ JRPGS, much more than WRPGs and most other genres, but I just couldn't sit through it. Boring, slow, unenjoyable combat, bland characters. Just like BK. I was expecting a really good game when I bought it, something that'd keep me on the Wii for ages. Nope.

Nintendo was very right not originally wanting the rest of the world to see their shame.
---
I hate thongs, both kinds.
#164moogle69Posted 12/9/2012 5:16:53 PM
ScreamingMidget posted...
moogle69 posted...
All the best games of this generation are in WII and handhelds (truth hurts doesn't't it?)

We're lucky that this is a lie then.

Truth hurts doesn't it?
---
3DS FC 5370 - 0690 - 8871
PSN coming soon
#165moogle69Posted 12/9/2012 5:22:13 PM
KaiserLeo posted...
Prismsblade posted...
KaiserLeo posted...

Xenoblade
Glad you like bad JRPGs, 'cause that's all Monolith Soft makes. Innovative battles system doesn't equal good, and Monolith's games, Xenoblade and Baten Kaitos are bad. Yes, I have both. The so called 'loli games', the HDN series, is better than that crap.

-----------

I dont think anyones gonna take you seriously after a post this idiotic, as for the rest.... didn't bother to read.

I'm still baffled how such boring crap got reviewed so highly. I /like/ JRPGS, much more than WRPGs and most other genres, but I just couldn't sit through it. Boring, slow, unenjoyable combat, bland characters. Just like BK. I was expecting a really good game when I bought it, something that'd keep me on the Wii for ages. Nope.

Nintendo was very right not originally wanting the rest of the world to see their shame.

Bad taste is a virtue for you TC. What do you like? Another endgame alt?
---
PSN coming soon
#166jubjub360Posted 12/9/2012 5:23:01 PM
moogle69 posted...
KaiserLeo posted...
Prismsblade posted...
KaiserLeo posted...

Xenoblade

-----------

Man every time you post about how the Wii and the handhelds are better... I swear I get more stupid.
---
F*** yo' MLA! It's all about that APA!
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#167Seifer_usPosted 12/9/2012 5:25:57 PM
KaiserLeo posted...

I'm with you on Baten Kaitos, but Xenoblade is amazing and it's easily my favorite game this gen. I clocked over 170 hours in on it. I've never been able to do that with any other game in my nearly 30 years of gaming. Are you sure you don't just have bad taste?
---
PSN ID: Shawnji
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji
#168PrismsbladePosted 12/9/2012 7:03:53 PM
moogle69 posted...
KaiserLeo posted...
Prismsblade posted...
KaiserLeo posted...

Xenoblade

-----------

You can have whatever opinion of the game you want TC no matter how negative but dont confuse them for facts, xenoblade is one of the best games this gen, and in all seriousness one the greatest rpgs of all time even.

Trying to argue otherwise is nothing sort of an impossible up mountain battle.
---
Its commonly known on Gamefaqs that if anything is more evident than proven facts, its personal opinions.
#169Devilman_AmonPosted 12/9/2012 7:18:38 PM
SeaArrKing posted...
Whoever mentioned Minecraft is probably the closest to being correct, although the dude who argued that Skyrim broke down the nerd barrier and invited everyone to enjoy fantasy stuff is also a rather astute individual.

FF VII did that 15 years ago and in this gen, before Skyrim: Demon's Souls.

In terms of non gamers enjoying games, there was also Gran Turismo, Madden, NBA Jam DDR, Halo and yes CoD.

All Skyrim is, is CoD for Elder Scrolls. It may be open world but its mainstream casualized. And it was marketed to hell lets not forget that has a huge effect
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#170moogle69Posted 12/9/2012 7:39:05 PM
Prismsblade posted...
moogle69 posted...
KaiserLeo posted...
Prismsblade posted...
KaiserLeo posted...

Xenoblade

-----------

You can have whatever opinion of the game you want TC no matter how negative but dont confuse them for facts, xenoblade is one of the best games this gen, and in all seriousness one the greatest rpgs of all time even.

Trying to argue otherwise is nothing sort of an impossible up mountain battle.

im talking to kaiserleo when i say he has best tastes, xenoblade is def one of the best rpgs ever.
---
PSN coming soon