This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How will PSN/SEN compete with Xbox Live next generation?

#11killakPosted 12/10/2012 2:46:28 AM
mattjw456 posted...
Why on Earth would Sony feel compelled to compete with a more expensive, inferior, ad-riddled service?

Yeah theyd be really opposed to making profit. You honestly dont want them to succeed? All based on selfish reasoning?
---
..you're supposed to put spoilers when you talk about the color of the sky. some people haven't seen it yet. - llaW_Enots
#12Kage_AM2Posted 12/10/2012 2:50:09 AM
If they want Microsoft numbers then they need a Halo or Gears of War type game that brings in 8 million members each game. Killzone doesn't cut it, Resistance failed and nobody plays it anymore. Little Big Plant just isn't that big. Yeah so basically there's nothing they could do about it. They should stop trying to go after Microsoft's audience and stick to their guns.
#13mcsmellingtonPosted 12/10/2012 3:01:25 AM
They'd need to make PSN a lot more streamlined, efficient, and include more features. They've done with with the PSN store, but the actual online service leaves a lot to be desired.
---
GT: McPoo
PSN/NNID: McSmellington
#14riddlebox89Posted 12/10/2012 3:28:33 AM
That's easy, keep being free, keep advertisements to a minimum and keep both the XMB and store simple and easy to navigate.

Seriously, I don't know how people can say Xbox Live is better when it's an ad riddled mess, the Marketplace is almost like a maze when it comes to looking for something, especially if you're looking for one specific item like say...the free Minecraft 360 skins they put up there some months ago where you had to find an ad, then go there, then scroll through it all until you get to the skins instead of just putting the skins in the search and being taken right to them, and you have to pay to play online, I can almost guarantee you that if Microsoft offered Xbox Live services for free, they'd sell a lot more consoles than they have so far.

killak posted...
mattjw456 posted...
Why on Earth would Sony feel compelled to compete with a more expensive, inferior, ad-riddled service?

Yeah theyd be really opposed to making profit. You honestly dont want them to succeed? All based on selfish reasoning?

Sony has gotten along fine by having PSN be a free service with an optional paid subscription service that isn't required to play online, I highly doubt they need to make it a paid service in order to succeed, and they surely don't need to put advertisements left and right either.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#15killakPosted 12/10/2012 7:09:47 AM
Sony has gotten along fine by having PSN be a free service with an optional paid subscription service that isn't required to play online, I highly doubt they need to make it a paid service in order to succeed, and they surely don't need to put advertisements left and right either.

You don't think some profit on the side might help them stay well in the black?

or would you rather say "yeah, Sony were the best. Great consoles, great exclusives and they never charged me for their online service despite the fact that somebody has to pay for it. RIP Sony, thanks for the memories"
---
Greer Logic: "I don't want a game that's always the same. I want a game that never changes"
#16badboyPosted 12/10/2012 7:15:32 AM
PS+ is a great thing, I hope they add more games.
#17LamesyPosted 12/10/2012 7:22:05 AM
killak posted...

or would you rather say "yeah, Sony were the best. Great consoles, great exclusives and they never charged me for their online service despite the fact that somebody has to pay for it. RIP Sony, thanks for the memories"

Listen to Captain Save-A-Corporation over here. Incorporated entities are more than capable of looking out for themselves.
#18NightwishPosted 12/10/2012 7:26:57 AM
I'd rather sony stay in second place and offer bar none the BEST pay service on the market...say what you want about plus being a 'rental service' or that it sucks compared to europe plus but yeah...ill take it over paying more for xbl gold and STILL being inundated with advertisements and virtually no free/discounted content
---
PSN: Xnightwish XBL: Xnightwish
#19muggyPosted 12/10/2012 7:27:38 AM
Lamesy posted...
killak posted...

Listen to Captain Save-A-Corporation over here. Incorporated entities are more than capable of looking out for themselves.

Thats Steve Ballmer's gamefaqs account dude. Show some respect.
#20killakPosted 12/10/2012 7:37:05 AM

yeah, it's wrong to enjoy the competition that multiple console manufacturers offer.

Seriously, why even comment at my reply if you're just going to act brain dead.
---
My Cat - http://tinyurl.com/bvqxlwo