This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does CoD take skill to play?

#11You_Need_A_LifePosted 12/9/2012 9:59:36 AM
kcypher2000 posted...
But it definitely takes some level of skill.

Well, if you put it that way, turning on your TV and sliding a disc into your PS3 also takes some amount of skill.

I think you're confusing basic gameplay functions with "skill." Having the hand-eye coordination to move the sticks and press the buttons to make the game do what you want, while technically requiring a certain type and level of skill to do, is just basic gameplay.

As far as gameplay skill is concerned though, it's not really the same thing. Using the old SOCOM as an example, if two people end up in a head-on gunfight, it's not as simple as whoever aims at the other and shoots first wins. If both start reacting at the exact same time and both start shooting square at the other at the same time with the exact same gun, the winner will be whoever controls their recoil the best while reacting to the incoming fire. And then, since health didn't regenerate in those days, to continue into another gunfight and win that one was a bigger display of skill because 1.) they had less health, and 2.) ammo didn't come from a central pool - each mag had 30 rounds and if you reloaded after firing ten rounds, you now have four mags with 30 rds and one with only 20. After a few gunfights, it wasn't uncommon to end up with five mags that all had around 10-15 rounds per, and even with such little equipment and low health, some players were still able to make that sliver of health and those five 10-round mags count and take out a few more players. And if they did die, that was it, they were dead until the next round. No health regen, no respawn. You did sometime stupid and you paid for it; there was no leniency back then - you play to win or you die hard. THAT was skill.

In CoD, if you get hurt, you hide for a few seconds and you're good to go. If you shoot 20 rounds, you just reload and your magic mag never goes dry until your ammo pool has less than 30 rounds. If you die, no biggie - just hit Respawn. And worst of all, if you get a kill streak, you hit a button and a chopper comes out and kills enemies automatically for you. It'd be one thing if you had to actually control it, but often you don't. And the Perks...interesting idea, but it can cause balancing issues in some cases, like Stopping Power. Two guys face off, same health, same weapon, both fire the same amount of rounds at the same time just as accurately as the other. One dies, one lives. That's not skill.
#12DocDeliciousPosted 12/9/2012 10:05:49 AM
No. No it does not and I am proof.

Picked up Blops2 a day or two after release. Last CoD I had played was 4 and had touched maybe two shooters since (neither of which were first-person or competative in any way). Played for maybe a week, walked away with Prestige 1 level 34, a 2.49 KDR and a handful of Golden Guns.
---
Playing - Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, Vanquish, MGS HD Col, Resonance of Fate, Monster Hunter FU, Shadows of the Damned, Valkyria Chronicles
PSN: DocDelicious
#13rikku_350Posted 12/9/2012 10:07:44 AM
What kind of CoD? A North Atlantic CoD, or a South Pacific CoD? Personally I like deep sea grouper, but that's just me.
#14hockeybub89Posted 12/9/2012 10:08:25 AM
The skill you need is the ability to turn into a 16 year old that loves caffeine, the ability to have the worst Internet in the world, or the ability to be a camper.

I am 23 years old and honestly feel I am too old to be good at COD anymore. Might as well be 75 because you need those hyper teenage reaction times to be successful.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica
#15servb0tsPosted 12/9/2012 10:09:14 AM
Any game that requires ducking and dodging or counter attacking requires skills even PONG.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3
-PS3 FFXIV ARR 2.0 Day 1 Buy I can't wait to maxout Summoner
#16mattjw456Posted 12/9/2012 10:32:36 AM
No, not in the slightest. Call of Duty's multiplayer mode is designed in such a fashion that it allows any player to occasionally do well to keep the attention of it's casual fanbase.
---
Between the velvet lies...
There's a truth that's hard as steel YEAH!
#17ChaingunmasterPosted 12/9/2012 10:34:10 AM
The singleplayer gets a little easier with each installment.
But the multiplayer requires some skill if you want to really excel at it.
---
www.lucid-lives.com (My webcomic)
PSN and XBL id: Alos88
#18youwiththefacePosted 12/9/2012 10:35:34 AM
i would say i takes a certain amount of skill to play. people try to paint it that your average person can pick up the controller and get a 5 k/d ration with ease... and trust me there are quite a few bad players in cod, many who never get out of that phase
---
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ you're seeing red ||||||||||||||||||||||||| you're seeing green
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] you're seeing blue ~G~ results may vary
#19faris_ruhiPosted 12/9/2012 11:24:30 AM(edited)
it doesn't take much skill to play any game.

Does it take a decent amount of skill to maintain a 1+ k/d ratio at higher levels? It sure does.
---
PSN: SYRAPH , GT: TheRealSyraph
Backlog on hold. Currently playing: Halo 4
#20theshovellerPosted 12/9/2012 11:27:20 AM
Yes. Every game takes skill to play, period. It's just a different set of skills needed for different games. It's borderline insane how many times people don't grasp this simple concept.

Does making a painting take skill? Does making a house? Does taking a quiz on astrophysics? Does making a piece of toast? Sure - the skills needed and the levels of skill needed vary.