This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does CoD take skill to play?

#21ThatLaoGuyPosted 12/9/2012 11:45:44 AM
Answer is yes. Havent played a COD since MW 2, but to play a COD game, is easy to pick up but takes skills to be good. People who disagree aren't at high level play.
---
Gamertag: That Lao Guy
#22bsballa09Posted 12/9/2012 11:54:12 AM(edited)
No. It just takes a good connection and faster reflexes.
---
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
#23calhoun1389Posted 12/9/2012 11:56:55 AM(edited)
You_Need_A_Life posted...
Well, if you put it that way, turning on your TV and sliding a disc into your PS3 also takes some amount of skill.

I think you're confusing basic gameplay functions with "skill." Having the hand-eye coordination to move the sticks and press the buttons to make the game do what you want, while technically requiring a certain type and level of skill to do, is just basic gameplay.

As far as gameplay skill is concerned though, it's not really the same thing. Using the old SOCOM as an example, if two people end up in a head-on gunfight, it's not as simple as whoever aims at the other and shoots first wins. If both start reacting at the exact same time and both start shooting square at the other at the same time with the exact same gun, the winner will be whoever controls their recoil the best while reacting to the incoming fire. And then, since health didn't regenerate in those days, to continue into another gunfight and win that one was a bigger display of skill because 1.) they had less health, and 2.) ammo didn't come from a central pool - each mag had 30 rounds and if you reloaded after firing ten rounds, you now have four mags with 30 rds and one with only 20. After a few gunfights, it wasn't uncommon to end up with five mags that all had around 10-15 rounds per, and even with such little equipment and low health, some players were still able to make that sliver of health and those five 10-round mags count and take out a few more players. And if they did die, that was it, they were dead until the next round. No health regen, no respawn. You did sometime stupid and you paid for it; there was no leniency back then - you play to win or you die hard. THAT was skill.

In CoD, if you get hurt, you hide for a few seconds and you're good to go. If you shoot 20 rounds, you just reload and your magic mag never goes dry until your ammo pool has less than 30 rounds. If you die, no biggie - just hit Respawn. And worst of all, if you get a kill streak, you hit a button and a chopper comes out and kills enemies automatically for you. It'd be one thing if you had to actually control it, but often you don't. And the Perks...interesting idea, but it can cause balancing issues in some cases, like Stopping Power. Two guys face off, same health, same weapon, both fire the same amount of rounds at the same time just as accurately as the other. One dies, one lives. That's not skill.

Hit the nail on the head with this post. CoD isn't about being skilled, it's about giving every average Joe Everyman the ability and chance to just have mindless fun shooting people in the face. If Activision decided to take CoD into the opposite direction (requiring practice and skill to get even a .98% K/D), then they'd lose a lot of their current fanbase and a LOT of profit.

Btw, I determine a game's skill level based on 2 things: 1) The skill gap between new players and good players (anyone with positive stats) and 2) The youngest age at which the required problem solving skills needed to play the game are obtained. (from personal experience, CoD's current required problem solving skills can be acquired by the age of 6)
---
My first born, Jackson was born on Friday, May 11, 2012.
'I just wanted to be the best Pokemon Master I could be." - Michael Vick
#24Louie The LizardPosted 12/9/2012 12:01:19 PM(edited)
Honestly, FPSers take the most skill in terms of games today. It takes very good Hand/eye coordination and reflex, also strategic map movement to avoid being a target, while maximizing kill potential with streaks. Other games have too much outside interference to be skill.

MMOs - Are you honestly more "skilled" than someone because you have better gear and destroy them? MMos basically "Who has played longer fights, not who is better"

Sports Games - Again, many sport games are plagued with "Glitch moves and Glitch plays" are you better then them by cheating? Or are you better by using a superior team/stat player? NHL for example you can buy upgrades to your stats online. No skill there

Fighting Games - Again, play any Mortal Kombat, or pure fighting game, its button mashing and people spamming overpowered moves, are you more skilled because you can spam R1 against a weak character?

FPS Put you on Equal ground against the other guy. Now obviously Lag, occasional Exploits can be frustrating, bad teammates can also hurt and make a more skilled player lose, but overall its the most "skill vs skill" game out there.

Which is why Clan Wars were so popular in FPS type online games. Now i'm not saying its great "Skill" in a game Like CoD just the best out their in todays crappy gaming market. Socom 2 was miles ahead in terms of a skill vs skill game, but those days are long gone.

---
Ladies and Gentlemen, I have some disturbing news. In the summer of 79, the Ferret posed NUDE. - Louie the Budweiser Lizard
#25TheCyborgNinjaPosted 12/9/2012 12:28:22 PM
It obviously does (when there's no lag). I've had matches in Black Ops where I was like 38-2. Do I think it's a quality series? No.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#26MisterSpliffPosted 12/9/2012 12:34:35 PM
Louie The Lizard posted...

Fighting Games - Again, play any Mortal Kombat, or pure fighting game, its button mashing and people spamming overpowered moves, are you more skilled because you can spam R1 against a weak character?

no... just no.

get out.
---
PSN: x-Spliph-x
#27plasticman13Posted 12/9/2012 12:38:10 PM
If having a better internet connection = better skill then yes.
---
For the latest news on Final Fantasy Versus XIII with interviews, e-mails, etc. with the development staff, please visit:
http://bit.ly/g917a5
#28stawg007Posted 12/9/2012 12:44:07 PM
Anyone who says it doesn't is either ignorant or a moron

All games take skill, some more than others but all take skill

If CoD didn't require skill then how does one person do better than another on a consistent basis? It can't come down to luck all the time
---
GT: lPayneToTheMaxl
#29WestcoastMikePosted 12/9/2012 1:01:05 PM
To play well? Yeah. It's not much different than playing most games on easy/normal and hard. Usually, it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to get through a game on easy or normal, getting by enough just to beat the game. But to get really good at the game and master harder difficulties, challenges, understanding the mechanics and little details well enough to work them in your favour takes some or more skill to do. There's always people on the bad end of those high k/d's who just don't know how to play as well as the guy killing them. Yeah, specifically in CoD, reflex plays a good deal and even awesome players can get blindsided by a noob in half a second, but the better player will have the better score in end thanks to knowing how to flank, cut people off, when to use equipment, or something at simple as having better aim.

It's not something that requires an absurd amount of dedication to get good, but in short: duh it takes skill. But I'm just re-enforcing what a bunch of others already said. I'm not even a CoD fan, but I like to be fair, try the game and think about these things instead of just saying "no" because it's not something I like.
---
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll55/picturelink/Rule_of_Rose.png
#30Louie The LizardPosted 12/9/2012 1:35:44 PM

no... just no.

get out.

Sorry I stand by that statement, I quit playing Fighting games because its merely a cheese fest online. People either A.) Use the best character online constantly against you or B.) Spam Cheese a simple combo that you can't reverse over and over.

I recently played Mortal Kombat, to see if my old stereotype was still valid today, and yep its even worse. Everyone picked that Noob Saibot guy and spam me with some dark hole combo. Was like wow real fun...

Sorry, but I don't consider learning a Cheese combo "Skill", this is a common knowledge issue with all fighting games. Even WWE game is plagued with people spamming spear moves. Its just an inevitability of this genre.

FPS their is no "Spam Cheese" you can do, which is why I still rank it higher on the Skill ladder than Fighter games. Camp I guess, but thats easy enough to counter. Especially thanks to kill cams.

plasticman13 posted...
If having a better internet connection = better skill then yes.

Technically better internet players are the ones on equal ground, while lower internet connection speeds tend to get jumps in their game, which is why u see true losers using manual lag spikes to give themselves an advantage.
---
Ladies and Gentlemen, I have some disturbing news. In the summer of 79, the Ferret posed NUDE. - Louie the Budweiser Lizard