This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does CoD take skill to play?

#71LeadPipeCinchePosted 12/10/2012 9:50:59 AM
COD is for 13 year old little girls.
i know this because i see my 13yr old cousin playing it online every day.
---
My little men: Hayden Alexander Steele (born: 8/9/2006 at 8:38AM) & Conner Leigh Steele (born: 10/7/2008 at 9:16pm).
#72calhoun1389Posted 12/10/2012 10:29:49 AM
theshoveller posted...
Ah, but the amount of skill was not in question - just "any" skill. As such, everything in the world requires any degree of skill to do.

And that's why the question "does blah blah blah take skill to do" be interpreted as "does blah blah blah take a good degree/level of skill to do." It's clearly what TC meant and you're just trying to split hairs and be a stickler over wording. In fact, TC even tried claiming ti does on grounds that the learning curve is steep.

TheTrueNub posted...
If it didn't, everyone would be on an equal playing ground (which, quite obviously, they're not)

That's not true at all. It doesn't take a good level of skill to play Mario, doesn't mean people can't become great at it.
---
My first born, Jackson was born on Friday, May 11, 2012.
'I just wanted to be the best Pokemon Master I could be." - Michael Vick
#73nintendogamer13Posted 12/10/2012 10:34:03 AM
HELL NO
I get positive K/D just running and gunning like an idiot. No skill whatsoever
#74CallmegePosted 12/10/2012 10:49:28 AM
Every game takes skill to play. But don't think cod takes much on consoles. It's more about looking up the right builds online and then just letting aim assist to the rest.
---
God save our gracious Queen, Long live our noble Queen, God save the Queen!
not changing this sig until we have a King - started: 30/8/2008
#75Bestia_SomniaPosted 12/10/2012 10:54:45 AM
There is a degree of a skill, but not much and all of that goes out of the window when playing online where latency changes the whole game.
#76TheBorderColliePosted 12/10/2012 2:00:12 PM
TheBorderCollie posted...
You have to move your character around, you have to aim at least in the general direction, and you have to press the shoot button.

How is that not "skill based?"

Believe it or not, there are people out there who could not do that.

Some people have asthma. Does that mean us average people are skilled at breathing?

That's a terrible analogy.

Breathing is an involuntary process that all humans do because it's part of their biology. If we don't, we die.

Within moments of being born (assuming that nothing terrible has gone wrong), all babies begin that process automatically. They aren't "taught" in the traditional sense how to breathe.

People are not born knowing how to play CoD.....or any videogame for that matter. It takes, at the minimum, a basic amount of skill to be able to coordinate the movements and action on-screen.
---
Happy to see the return of TBC: 137
"Rasmussen wasn't really wrong, the election itself was." - CM_Punk_sXe
#77daigre7Posted 12/10/2012 2:07:48 PM
You need to define "skill." I don't consider having a better connection and sugar-enhanced reflexes a skill. I see skill as playing with tactics and teamwork.

Short answer, no, Call of Duty takes no skill to play...but I still play it.
---
PSN - Hand_Banana
#78NessEggmanPosted 12/10/2012 2:20:36 PM
Imagine if you could take a car into the past before automobiles were ever created. Take some person who had never seen or heard of a car, shove them into it, and say "Drive this."

They would have absolutely no idea what to do. And even today, when we first try to learn how to drive, we have very bad driving skills, even though we know a lot of basic concepts about driving before we try.

Now, today, I would say driving requires very little effort out of me. But does that mean it takes no skill? Of course not.

I could look at something that takes even more skill, like piloting an airplane (which, to a pilot, remember, takes very little effort once learned, just like the car), or like racing in ATB off-road vehicles or something.

Sure the transition from driving my car to driving my brother's car takes very little effort for me, but I still have to use all of those core skills. The skills come more effortlessly because I have been driving for a long time. Just like easier do not take as much effort from someone who has been playing a lot of games for a long time. But they still take a lot of core skill that must be learned.

If you're asking if it takes a lot of effort (which is vastly different than skill) to become good at the game, that depends completely on the player.

Plus, any competitive game can be looked at in the same way. I can say that playing baseball is relatively easy. I can hit a ball with a bat. I can run around in a diamond shape. I can catch and throw a ball. I can sit on a bench. I can understand the rules of the game. These are all the skills required to play baseball.

However, being good at playing baseball is very different than just playing. Being able to challenge and defeat many opponents and have the greatest records in the world... that's very difficult. The same goes for ANYTHING.

The basic skills (pressing buttons in patterns according to audiovisual cues, understanding game rules) are used for playing ANY game. No game really requires any skill more or less than another, unless it requires a different method of play (such as dancing on a foot mat, or aiming a motion controller).

The level of effort and ability to be very good at something, of course, will be different. But if you want to, for example, create an unbeatable speedrun for a Hello Kitty game, that would require way more ability and effort than a lot of people who are bashing CoD would have or be willing to put forth.

For those of you who are saying CoD does not require skill: it requires the SAME amount of skill as your favorite game. And the effort and ability required to be good at it competitively is roughly the same kind of scale as your favorite game. This is not subjective--that's just the nature of games.
---
Just wake me up when Tokimeki Memorial 4 is announced.
g Rod "hing RodCopper Fishin For fishing.
#79VIETNAM-Posted 12/10/2012 2:34:50 PM
Yes, COD takes skills but its in the easy category. These Genres blow FPS out the water:

Fighting
Shmups
Puzzles
Racers
FPS/COD
#80NessEggmanPosted 12/10/2012 2:37:29 PM
VIETNAM- posted...
Yes, COD takes skills but its in the easy category. These Genres blow FPS out the water:

Fighting
Shmups
Puzzles
Racers
FPS/COD

I really don't want to defend CoD more than I have to but...

I am a big shmup and puzzle player. I also like fighting games and racers. But I play puzzle games on a competitive level (well, those which you can, like Tetris or Puyo Puyo). I am casually competitive with fighters.

And while I agree they do take a certain level of skill... I am not very good with FPS games because I never play them. Also, even though I don't really like FPS games, and I especially hate CoD, I don't think it takes any more or less skill than those genres you listed. All games of all types take skill, even easy ones, and being the best at them takes a lot of skill no matter the genre.

Well, see my above post in this topic, I guess.
---
https://gamingandthinking.blogspot.com/