This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Valve releasing pc/console 2013.. PS4 & this is all you need next gen

#31Ben__AffleckPosted 12/10/2012 12:48:34 AM
howdyneighbor25 posted...
soccerd19 posted...
steam has a lot of good sells all the time, save a lot more money then i would buying off psn.

after u spend 500 on a new graphcis things every 2-3 years,

People realize they're just making themselves look dumb when they quote ridiculous prices that aren't even remotely based in reality.. right? You could pay about 1/5 of that amount on a card and run most games on Max for years. Steam ends up saving you so much it pays for itself within 6 months.
---
you just got Affleck'd
#32Red_JesterPosted 12/10/2012 12:56:07 AM
BREAKING NEWS! It's a PC!

Not a console. Not "like" a console. Not a "PC console." Not a "PC/console hybrid."

It's a regular PC that will probably have the hardware to run Valve's next engine at max settings. (Half-Life 3's engine, basically)

It's a regular PC and it will run Windows OS. Having only Steam without an operating system wouldn't get you ****ing anywhere since you wouldn't be able to play any games on it without Windows. (Though it could potentially come with Mac or Linux, I seriously doubt Valve will chase that market, plus you'd miss out on 90% of the Steam library.

Basically, they want a PC to feel as home on a big-screen TV as your cable box or console. It's forward thinking, really. It could also potentially open the market to those who normally don't consider PC gaming because they aren't comfortable playing games at a computer desk or out of the comfort of their living room. They're probably also hoping that those who use this PC on the TV will spread the usage of a PC on a big-screen TV to others in the house, growing the trend. (Funny how Valve is the one doing this instead of MS, who are stupidly chasing the tablet market)

My guess is that it will come with everything you'd need to have it set up on any TV and probably come with a Valve branded controller. (But since it's a PC, you can use any wireless controller you want to)

You're probably going to want to have a wireless keyboard and mouse for the best experience, but the new Steam Big Picture Mode is in honestly superior to all three consoles networks (XBL, PSN, etc) in navigating, ease of use, layout and all sorts of minor features. Go try it out for yourself if you don't believe me. All you have to do is download Steam and just play around with Big Picture Mode.
---
I do benefits for all religions. I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality. - Bob Hope
I'm right about everything, every time. 60% of the time.
#33Lunitik MuzikPosted 12/10/2012 2:13:22 AM
TheTrueNub posted...
That article is extremely misleading and is talking about speculation being fact.

This is the original: http://kotaku.com/5966860/gabe-newell-living-room-pcs-will-compete-with-next+gen-consoles

All Gabe said is that he thinks consoles will be competing with PCs next gen. Nothing about releasing a Steam box.

"I also asked Newell what sort of software they're working on these days. He wouldn't give specifics, but he did reiterate that they're working on their next-generation engine—which he said will work with next-generation consoles as well"

It may not be a "Steambox" specifically, but they're talking about releasing some kind of hardware. Read it again.

Speaking to me during a brief interview on the red carpet at the VGAs last night, Newell said Valve's current goal was to figure out how to make PCs work better in the living room. He said the reaction to Steam's TV-friendly Big Picture interface has been "stronger than expected," and that their next step is to get Steam Linux out of beta and to get Big Picture on that operating system, which would give Valve more flexibility when developing their own hardware.

He also expects companies to start selling PC packages for living rooms next year—setups that could consist of computers designed to be hooked up to your TV and run Steam right out of the gate. And yes, Newell said, they'd compete with next-gen consoles from companies like Microsoft and Sony.

"I think in general that most customers and most developers are gonna find that [the PC is] a better environment for them," Newell told me. "Cause they won't have to split the world into thinking about 'why are my friends in the living room, why are my video sources in the living room different from everyone else?' So in a sense we hopefully are gonna unify those environments."

Newell said he's expecting a lot of different companies to release these types of packages—"We'll do it but we also think other people will as well," he told me—and that Valve's hardware might not be as open-source or as malleable as your average computer.

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment," he said. "If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room.

Maybe some it's kind of partnership with another company? Wasn't some Apple exect in a meeting with Gabe earlier this year?
#34VanderZooPosted 12/10/2012 2:21:22 AM
lambchips posted...
VanderZoo posted...
Dude get a life, why don't you actually just hang out on the PC board, or play your PC instead of trying to advertise it all the time? You're just annoying everyone here.

says the person that spreads misinformation and tries to make pc gaming look bad
huehuehue

What misinformation?
#35lambchipsPosted 12/10/2012 2:22:42 AM
VanderZoo posted...
What misinformation?

http://m.gamefaqs.com/boards/927749-xbox-360/63159575
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#36PSORngrPosted 12/10/2012 3:30:18 AM
VanderZoo posted...
Steam should just make a box than can stream your Steam games to your HDTV, why bother making a console? I don't see the point.

http://store.steampowered.com/bigpicture/

Just hook up your computer to your TV.
#37muggyPosted 12/10/2012 7:07:06 AM
TheTrueNub posted...
That article is extremely misleading and is talking about speculation being fact.

This is the original: http://kotaku.com/5966860/gabe-newell-living-room-pcs-will-compete-with-next+gen-consoles

All Gabe said is that he thinks consoles will be competing with PCs next gen. Nothing about releasing a Steam box.

"I also asked Newell what sort of software they're working on these days. He wouldn't give specifics, but he did reiterate that they're working on their next-generation engine—which he said will work with next-generation consoles as well"

LOL did you even read the article?

" Newell said he's expecting a lot of
different companies to release these
types of packages—"We'll do it but we
also think other people will as well," he
told me—and that Valve's hardware
might not be as open-source or as
malleable as your average computer.
"Well certainly our hardware will be a
very controlled environment," he said.
"If you want more flexibility, you can
always buy a more general purpose PC."

This will be a hybrid console and PC only fanboys have been betrayed by their false god lol.
#38CyborgTwentyPosted 12/10/2012 7:24:40 AM
hahaha ps4, xbox720 and wii u are done for! long live valve!
#39deprofundis442Posted 12/10/2012 9:02:59 AM
howdyneighbor25 posted...
soccerd19 posted...
steam has a lot of good sells all the time, save a lot more money then i would buying off psn.

after u spend 500 on a new graphcis things every 2-3 years,

My 250 dollar card has already lasted me that.long and I can still run everything at max with no problem. Get informed before speaking.
#40deprofundis442Posted 12/10/2012 9:09:56 AM
As for consol-like PCs, they already exist. You can buy cases that literally look like a game console to more easily fit it in an entertainment rack with built in wireless features. If any kind of steam box comes around, I bet it will bemuch like that.