This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what games have absolutely IMPACTED the gaming Industry?

#1JahkeemyorkPosted 12/10/2012 7:39:07 AM
Note these games may not be the FIRST to do it, but they are the games that revolutionized them and made them and are the ones that influenced gaming media. Here's what I've noticed so far.

Halo: Regenerating Health. (Nearly every game ever now)

Uncharted: Seemless Cinematic moments during gameplay,it's become more popular now.

Gear of War: The Cover System (Games have started using a cover system in more ways then one since then, including blind fire ect)

Grand Theft Auto III: Help set the impact of sandbox games, even now where games do their own style, the collectables, how side-missions are handled, mini-games, stealing vehicles ect ect are usually borrowed from the basic ideas of this game. (Note, games like Skyrim, Crysis, Far Cry, ect do NOT fall in this category)

Vanquish: The Sliding Mechanic. (Although games don't have it as INSANE, after Vanquish it is noticed that games have been adding a sliding mechanic when close to cover now days. This is usually seen as a Vanquish x GoW combination)

Resident Evil 4 & God of War (QTE) - Games use them now, sometimes way more then others, but RE 4 was the one that was mostly praised for using QTE's to create different scenarios. God of War incorporated them into more gameplay level, which has also been seen in games now days. So they both get their share of spotlight here.

Assassin's Creed: Free Running. - In some shape or form a good amount of games now use a type of free running Mechanic when they can, Infamous, Prototype, Sleeping Dogs ect are a few that do this.
#2toadiemanPosted 12/10/2012 7:43:32 AM
Street Fighter 2 - Made fighters popular.
---
PSN: toadieman
#3lambchipsPosted 12/10/2012 7:44:33 AM
this gen
half life 2- physics
league of legends- esports
angry birds- phone games
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#4lninjasoniclPosted 12/10/2012 7:44:55 AM
Bioshock : that the environment itself can tell a better story than most games' actual story
---
I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. Best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes.
#5MindGamingMantiPosted 12/10/2012 7:45:00 AM
Mario and Tecmo Bowl paved the way for EA Sports.
---
"Life is a mistake that only art can correct."
#6Large_TonberryPosted 12/10/2012 7:45:36 AM
You missed the over-the-shoulder view that RE4 pioneered for shooting.
#7toadiemanPosted 12/10/2012 7:46:42 AM
Super Mario Bros brought gaming back to life.
---
PSN: toadieman
#8killakPosted 12/10/2012 7:47:22 AM
Super Mario Bros brought gaming back to life.

in America
---
My Cat - http://tinyurl.com/bvqxlwo
#9MindGamingMantiPosted 12/10/2012 7:47:51 AM
lambchips posted...
this gen
half life 2- physics
league of legends- esports
angry birds- phone games

Fighting games created Esports.
---
"Life is a mistake that only art can correct."
#10Cole_The_BeastPosted 12/10/2012 7:49:32 AM
The Call of Duty franchise. For better or for worse is an opinion, but it has definitely made its mark.