This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what games have absolutely IMPACTED the gaming Industry?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. So what games have absolutely IMPACTED the gaming Industry?
4 years ago#11
MindGamingManti posted...
Fighting games created Esports.

this gen fighting games didnt do anything significant for esports, its just there... lol is the one thats making the scene bigger than ever
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
4 years ago#12
I attribute Health Regen and Cinematic set-pieces to Call of Duty 4 more than Halo and Uncharted respectively. Halo did Health Regen before CoD4, but so did CoD 2, and I think CoD 4 was far more of an overall influence than Halo was. And CoD was doing over-the-top set-pieces before Uncharted as well. Other games too, but again, CoD4 was the really popular game of the early current-gen era, and had the most influence on the gaming development sector.
4 years ago#13
I attribute Health Regen and Cinematic set-pieces to Call of Duty 4 more than Halo and Uncharted respectively. Halo did Health Regen before CoD4, but so did CoD 2, and I think CoD 4 was far more of an overall influence than Halo was. And CoD was doing over-the-top set-pieces before Uncharted as well. Other games too, but again, CoD4 was the really popular game of the early current-gen era, and had the most influence on the gaming development sector.

The point is that Halo revolutionised shooters on consoles. CoD 2 was a PC shooter at the time.

Halo has always had recognition for what it did for console shooters and their popularity
Greer Logic: "I don't want a game that's always the same. I want a game that never changes"
4 years ago#14
Though Wolfenstein might have been the first to use 1st person, Doom made it popular.
PSN: toadieman
4 years ago#15
toadieman posted...
Though Wolfenstein might have been the first to use 1st person, Doom made it popular.

Doom introduced DEATHMATCHES and multiplayer into the FPS genre.
4 years ago#16
Mortal Kombat is partly responsible for ESRP ratings. That and Night Trap.
PSN: toadieman
4 years ago#17
Resident Evil 4 - Third Person over the shoulder camera view that is now used by almost every third person games ever created.
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/64767381
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg
4 years ago#18
Sonic The Hedgehog - Finally gave mario competition and gave nintendo something to worry about

And Shenmue used QTE's before RE4
www.youtube.com/watch?v=49F4qRtNfUw - YES!!!!!, YES!!!!!!, YES!!!!!, YES!!!!!!!
4 years ago#19
Super Mario Bros. - All side-scrolling platformer owes everything to Mario.
Wolfenstein 3D - All first-person shooters including Halo owe all to Wolfenstein.
Super Mario 64 - Not the first 3D game, but the most-influential, setting the standards of all 3D platformers to follow. It shown how useful analog control was for play in a true 3D environment (PlayStation didn't adopt analog sticks yet) and though N64 lacked a right stick it used camera buttons to control the camera with your right hand.
Super Smash Bros. - There wouldn't be a PlayStation all-star game if not for SSB.
Super Mario Kart - All kart games took their cues from Mario.
Star Fox - Pioneered 3D (polygonal) gaming for consoles on the SNES, before Saturn or PlayStation and with Genesis unable to respond.

killak posted...
Super Mario Bros brought gaming back to life.

in America

And 224 other countries; pretty much everywhere but Japan, as gaming only really held on in Japan until Nintendo saved it.
I'm not here for friends. I'm here for the truth to the best of my knowledge of it, even if it's not what people want to hear.
4 years ago#20
Pong.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. So what games have absolutely IMPACTED the gaming Industry?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived