This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what games have absolutely IMPACTED the gaming Industry?

#101MlREFOXPosted 12/10/2012 12:25:03 PM
OrangeSchweese posted...
MlREFOX posted...
It seems to me that the kids who just started gaming this generation have a skewed idea of what games actually have had the impacts on the industry. Sure, if you just graduated high school and the 360 was your first console, Gears, Oblivion, Bioshock, etc. may have had the biggest impact on your perception of the industry, but just because you are deficient in your understanding does not make your perceptions so.

I think your retro elitism is blinding you.

So we should ignore past games that introduced popular mechanics just so we can artificially say that the newer generation games did it? That's just stupid. My only point is that just because many gamers' first experience with cover - mainly due to there being far more gamers now than in the past - was in Gears does not make Gears a genre-impacting game. If that is the case, we may as well say that Oblivion created the first-person RPGs and CoD4 made military FPS popular.
#102jubjub360Posted 12/10/2012 12:26:37 PM
MlREFOX posted...
OrangeSchweese posted...
MlREFOX posted...
It seems to me that the kids who just started gaming this generation have a skewed idea of what games actually have had the impacts on the industry. Sure, if you just graduated high school and the 360 was your first console, Gears, Oblivion, Bioshock, etc. may have had the biggest impact on your perception of the industry, but just because you are deficient in your understanding does not make your perceptions so.

So we should ignore past games that introduced popular mechanics just so we can artificially say that the newer generation games did it? That's just stupid. My only point is that just because many gamers' first experience with cover - mainly due to there being far more gamers now than in the past - was in Gears does not make Gears a genre-impacting game. If that is the case, we may as well say that Oblivion created the first-person RPGs and CoD4 made military FPS popular.

Because the topic is asking for games that IMPACTED THE GAMING INDUSTRY. Not the games from the past that created the idea.
---
F*** yo' MLA! It's all about that APA!
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#103theshovellerPosted 12/10/2012 12:28:26 PM
OrangeSchweese posted...
theshoveller posted...
I was going to post a big thing about how those two aren't really related, but decided against it. Instead, I will simply state System Shock 2 and Deus Ex (the first one) on genre-bending first-person shooter games with RPGs, with Borderlands probably being one of the recent "big examples" of this.

Borderlands is the worst of both of these genres, imo. I'm surprised by all the praise it gets.

Maybe to you (which is fine,) but there's no doubting that it's had an impact on the industry.
#104SophaerLamPosted 12/10/2012 12:29:11 PM
RainBow 6 vegas
#105MlREFOXPosted 12/10/2012 12:30:46 PM
jubjub360 posted...
MlREFOX posted...
OrangeSchweese posted...
MlREFOX posted...

Because the topic is asking for games that IMPACTED THE GAMING INDUSTRY. Not the games from the past that created the idea.

Ok, without Winback, there would be no Gears. Gliffy B. admitted as much. So how can Winback not have impacted the gaming industry? But TC wants to give credit to gears because A) He's too young to have played Winback and B) the industry is substantially bigger now and therefore more people have played it.

History is not relative to your understanding of it. Being blind to past influence does not make this generation more influential.
#106MlREFOXPosted 12/10/2012 12:32:29 PM
SophaerLam posted...
RainBow 6 vegas

No, it can't be influential. It was released at the same time as Gears, which means Gears clearly influenced it and changed its design and all that..............
#107OrangeSchweesePosted 12/10/2012 12:32:51 PM
theshoveller posted...
OrangeSchweese posted...
theshoveller posted...
I was going to post a big thing about how those two aren't really related, but decided against it. Instead, I will simply state System Shock 2 and Deus Ex (the first one) on genre-bending first-person shooter games with RPGs, with Borderlands probably being one of the recent "big examples" of this.

Borderlands is the worst of both of these genres, imo. I'm surprised by all the praise it gets.

Maybe to you (which is fine,) but there's no doubting that it's had an impact on the industry.

I never said it hadn't. Only that I don't care for it.
#108OrangeSchweesePosted 12/10/2012 12:42:14 PM(edited)
MlREFOX posted...

The difference between the newer games I've mentioned and their predecessors is that the originals didn't reach most people, therefore the industry wasn't forced to change to meet the new standards expected by gamers.
#109jubjub360Posted 12/10/2012 12:36:38 PM
MlREFOX posted...
jubjub360 posted...
MlREFOX posted...
OrangeSchweese posted...
MlREFOX posted...

Ok, without Winback, there would be no Gears. Gliffy B. admitted as much. So how can Winback not have impacted the gaming industry? But TC wants to give credit to gears because A) He's too young to have played Winback and B) the industry is substantially bigger now and therefore more people have played it.

History is not relative to your understanding of it. Being blind to past influence does not make this generation more influential.

Even though Cliffy B gives credit to Winback (hell I don't even know what that is. I looked it up, he gave no credit to this Winback. He did give credit to Kill.Switch, Bionic Commando and RE4) it still impacted the gaming industry by fine tuning it and making it smooth like it is today.

You really are living in the past.

(Source for influence: http://www.gamespot.com/news/gdc-07-cliffy-b-disassembles-gears-mentions-sequel-6167213)
---
F*** yo' MLA! It's all about that APA!
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#110MlREFOXPosted 12/10/2012 12:44:09 PM
OrangeSchweese posted...
MlREFOX posted...

The difference between the newer games I've mentioned and their predecessors is that the originals didn't reach most people, therefore the industry wasn't forced to change to meet the new standards demanded by gamers.

So a more prolific game automatically makes a more influential game? What happens 10 years from now if we have twice the number of "gamers" that we have today? Does that invalidate any influences we have today in favor of the more prolific games of the future?

You absolutely cannot use the number of people playing a game to determine is historical influence, or no games made prior to 10 years ago have any influence on gaming at all based simply on the greatly-expanded base of "gamers." You're essentially equating sales with influence.