This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what games have absolutely IMPACTED the gaming Industry?

#121AsucaHayashiPosted 12/10/2012 2:41:36 PM
eems to me that the kids who just started gaming this generation have a skewed idea of what games actually have had the impacts on the industry. Sure, if you just graduated high school and the 360 was your first console, Gears, Oblivion, Bioshock, etc. may have had the biggest impact on your perception of the industry, but just because you are deficient in your understanding does not make your perceptions so.

this tbh.

sure, you might say that the newer games have had a bigger impact since gaming has just become bigger overall but absolutely none of it would have happened if the EARLIER games didn't have the large and heavy impact on the industry back then which influenced all these newer entries to begin with.

mentioning numbers and/or popularity across different eras of gaming is pretty much irrelevant.
---
If console gaming is so cheap then why do I have to spend $600~ in order to play Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted 3 and Halo 3?
#122SixStringHeroPosted 12/10/2012 2:52:07 PM
jubjub360 posted...
SixStringHero posted...
As far as stealth, I would give that to Rainbow Six (the original PC). It was doing realtime 3D stealth mechanics before Metal Gear Solid did.

Honestly, I'd give Rainbow Six the SWAT tactics impact rather than stealth.

I enjoyed planning out the routes for my team, but the AI was so stupid they would clear a room by standing in the doorway and slowly grabbing a flash bang and would invariably get killed by the enemy or enemies in the room.

I had more fun moving and sneaking around solo with a silenced weapon dropping Tangos. The stealth worked when you sneaked around.
---
I don't care about the altitude, I just want another drink.
#123OrangeSchweesePosted 12/10/2012 3:00:35 PM
AsucaHayashi posted...
eems to me that the kids who just started gaming this generation have a skewed idea of what games actually have had the impacts on the industry. Sure, if you just graduated high school and the 360 was your first console, Gears, Oblivion, Bioshock, etc. may have had the biggest impact on your perception of the industry, but just because you are deficient in your understanding does not make your perceptions so.

this tbh.

sure, you might say that the newer games have had a bigger impact since gaming has just become bigger overall but absolutely none of it would have happened if the EARLIER games didn't have the large and heavy impact on the industry back then which influenced all these newer entries to begin with.

mentioning numbers and/or popularity across different eras of gaming is pretty much irrelevant.

Nobody said, "only new games have an impact." That's some strawman this guy came up with so that he could think he's cool for being a retro elitist.
#124Grizzle1981Posted 12/10/2012 3:17:33 PM
Honestly? If I had to say any games revolutionize the industry they'd be:

1. Pong
2. Super Mario
3. Street Fighter 2
4. Grand Theft Auto (3)
5. Golden Eye
6. Final Fantasy 7
7. Worlds of Warcraft
8. Wii Sports
9. Pac Man (should have been placed at #2 but I'm too lazy to move it)

Everything else is just a fad of sorts. All the games of this generation are just versions of a brillant concept thought up in the past. The only revolutionary game to come out in this generation is the Wii Sports. Because of it, motion games are popular and evolving ... Kinect and Move owe it their lives.
---
This post is 100% opinion unless stated otherwise.
#125Grizzle1981Posted 12/10/2012 3:18:18 PM
^Oh ... and I'll throw Pokemon Red and Blue on that list too for making handheld games as popular as they are.
---
This post is 100% opinion unless stated otherwise.
#126MlREFOXPosted 12/10/2012 3:25:08 PM
OrangeSchweese posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...

this tbh.

Nobody said, "only new games have an impact." That's some strawman this guy came up with so that he could think he's cool for being a retro elitist.

No, it is a TC and a few followers who are claiming that because they don't know the old games, it must have been Gears that changed third-person shooters forever. You keep using that jackass "retro elitist" term as if actually knowing a bit about games and being older than 18 somehow invalidates what I know. I don't give a flying crap if a game is older or newer, but considering that I've been gaming for over 30 years now, Ive seen enough games to tell TC that he is full of it when he is.
#127OrangeSchweesePosted 12/10/2012 3:30:28 PM
MlREFOX posted...
No, it is a TC and a few followers who are claiming that because they don't know the old games, it must have been Gears that changed third-person shooters forever. You keep using that jackass "retro elitist" term as if actually knowing a bit about games and being older than 18 somehow invalidates what I know. I don't give a flying crap if a game is older or newer, but considering that I've been gaming for over 30 years now, Ive seen enough games to tell TC that he is full of it when he is.

Right, I get it. Kill.Switch and Winback and all these other games influenced Gears. But Gears perfected the formula and popularized it. Therefore, it had the most impact. I get what you're saying, but if we're talking about influence, you might as well say, "human ingeniuity, end of thread," because that's where it all stems from.
#128XenoFFvsPosted 12/10/2012 3:43:13 PM
Did anybody mention the first killzone for analog stick button as sprint in fps? I'm pretty sure it was the first to do so.
---
Brawl Code:4639-9502-2693_Razor
PSN ID: xXAnTeRXx
#129ViraugePosted 12/10/2012 3:55:03 PM
bpcarter posted...
Halo - Standard two stick control scheme for modern shooters on consoles

Bioshock/System Shock 2 - Storytelling in video games

Medal of Honor for PS1 used a very similar control scheme, and was released 2 years earlier. I would agree that Halo set the bar for console multiplayer FPS, but other than that lots of other games did things first.

I seriously laughed at the storytelling comment. You can't be serious. Your actually saying games didn't tell a story before 1999 (System Shock 2)? Nearly every game created tells a story. Just one example, and nowhere near the first, Final Fantasy VI (1994) had an amazing story.
#130NessEggmanPosted 12/10/2012 3:56:13 PM
From what the topic title sounds like, it sounds like things that had some kind of revolutionary effect on the way people perceived and played games, or the concept of game design as a whole. "Regerating health" is the complete opposite of that.

So yeah, I think um...

ITT: Games you like that you want to be credited for doing some small thing that you happen to like in games now.
---
https://gamingandthinking.blogspot.com/