This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what games have absolutely IMPACTED the gaming Industry?

#131MlREFOXPosted 12/10/2012 3:01:00 PM
NessEggman posted...
From what the topic title sounds like, it sounds like things that had some kind of revolutionary effect on the way people perceived and played games, or the concept of game design as a whole. "Regerating health" is the complete opposite of that.

So yeah, I think um...

ITT: Games you like that you want to be credited for doing some small thing that you happen to like in games now.

Amen to that.
#132jubjub360Posted 12/10/2012 3:01:44 PM
Virauge posted...
bpcarter posted...
Halo - Standard two stick control scheme for modern shooters on consoles

Bioshock/System Shock 2 - Storytelling in video games

Medal of Honor for PS1 used a very similar control scheme, and was released 2 years earlier. I would agree that Halo set the bar for console multiplayer FPS, but other than that lots of other games did things first.

I seriously laughed at the storytelling comment. You can't be serious. Your actually saying games didn't tell a story before 1999 (System Shock 2)? Nearly every game created tells a story. Just one example, and nowhere near the first, Final Fantasy VI (1994) had an amazing story.

Again, because people keep missing this: IMPACT. On. The. Gaming. Industry. He did not claim that no game before system shock 2 had no story. He said they helped with impacting the game industry.
---
F*** yo' MLA! It's all about that APA!
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#133Evel138Posted 12/10/2012 3:03:50 PM
Spacewar!

The minds of MIT pretty much got the concept of the video game rolling with it.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Mad Moxxi
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=evel138#/d5g9oo0
#134MlREFOXPosted 12/10/2012 3:54:29 PM
jubjub360 posted...
Virauge posted...
bpcarter posted...
Halo - Standard two stick control scheme for modern shooters on consoles

Bioshock/System Shock 2 - Storytelling in video games

Medal of Honor for PS1 used a very similar control scheme, and was released 2 years earlier. I would agree that Halo set the bar for console multiplayer FPS, but other than that lots of other games did things first.

I seriously laughed at the storytelling comment. You can't be serious. Your actually saying games didn't tell a story before 1999 (System Shock 2)? Nearly every game created tells a story. Just one example, and nowhere near the first, Final Fantasy VI (1994) had an amazing story.

Again, because people keep missing this: IMPACT. On. The. Gaming. Industry. He did not claim that no game before system shock 2 had no story. He said they helped with impacting the game industry.

And how the hell can anyone claim that a certain game impacted the industry when it does the exact same things as games before it, but happened to sell well for a myriad of reasons? Rainbow 6 Vegas is just as responsible for cover as Gears, and Vegas actually did it better. They came out at the same time, too, so why pretend that Gears did anything other than offer millions of teens a fun TPs with set pieces? These arguments are short sighted and asinine.
#135lninjasoniclPosted 12/10/2012 4:04:33 PM
MlREFOX posted...
OrangeSchweese posted...
jubjub360 posted...
The point of this topic is games that absolutely IMPACTED the gaming industry. Gears of War did that.

Yep. Just like how someone mentioned System Shock 2 in place of Bioshock. SS2 may have come first, but Bioshock had a far greater impact.

Except that isn't true. It may have had a greater perceived impact on your part, but any gamer who has been PC gaming for years would not put claim Bioshock as more impactful than System Shock 2.

It seems to me that the kids who just started gaming this generation have a skewed idea of what games actually have had the impacts on the industry. Sure, if you just graduated high school and the 360 was your first console, Gears, Oblivion, Bioshock, etc. may have had the biggest impact on your perception of the industry, but just because you are deficient in your understanding does not make your perceptions so.

So you're either a new gamer or an old school pc gamer? Get real moaf. There are plenty of people who have been gaming for over 20 years and never touched a pc game.
---
I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. Best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes.
#136OrangeSchweesePosted 12/10/2012 4:19:02 PM(edited)
MlREFOX posted...
And how the hell can anyone claim that a certain game impacted the industry when it does the exact same things as games before it, but happened to sell well for a myriad of reasons? Rainbow 6 Vegas is just as responsible for cover as Gears, and Vegas actually did it better. They came out at the same time, too, so why pretend that Gears did anything other than offer millions of teens a fun TPs with set pieces? These arguments are short sighted and asinine.

Wow, you must really hate gears of war.

And Gears didn't do "the exact same thing". It perfected the cover system and popularized it. I've played Vegas and you are really grasping for straws if you think it did the cover system better.

Actually, I'm just going to assume that you haven't even played Gears after that Vegas comment. Now you're just being a troll.
#137MlREFOXPosted 12/10/2012 4:10:29 PM
lninjasonicl posted...
MlREFOX posted...
OrangeSchweese posted...
jubjub360 posted...
The point of this topic is games that absolutely IMPACTED the gaming industry. Gears of War did that.

Yep. Just like how someone mentioned System Shock 2 in place of Bioshock. SS2 may have come first, but Bioshock had a far greater impact.

Except that isn't true. It may have had a greater perceived impact on your part, but any gamer who has been PC gaming for years would not put claim Bioshock as more impactful than System Shock 2.

It seems to me that the kids who just started gaming this generation have a skewed idea of what games actually have had the impacts on the industry. Sure, if you just graduated high school and the 360 was your first console, Gears, Oblivion, Bioshock, etc. may have had the biggest impact on your perception of the industry, but just because you are deficient in your understanding does not make your perceptions so.

So you're either a new gamer or an old school pc gamer? Get real moaf. There are plenty of people who have been gaming for over 20 years and never touched a pc game.

So then there are plenty of people who have missed out on most of the seminal games and have no right to be labeling anything and impactful. That's like saying that a certain gamer has never in his life played anything by Nintendo but when Rayman Origins came out on his PS3, he found something "new" that would forever impact the gaming industry. If you have not been playing multiple consoles, including the PC, for many years, I don't see how you can possibly be talking about what impacted the industry without having a sever information gap.
#138OrangeSchweesePosted 12/10/2012 5:08:19 PM
Donkey Kong Country - Unique visual style that brought the world and its characters to life
#139NessEggmanPosted 12/10/2012 5:21:50 PM
For a real answer, I feel Pokemon "absolutely IMPACTED" the gaming industry, unlike most of what has been saying here. I know Pokemon has been said, but I think it's a good illustration of something that can have a real impact.

And not just in sales numbers. Pokemon changed the way people thought about developing games. Before, games were seen as something one person bought and played by themselves, or with a few people on a couch (playing together at the same time or taking turns).

Pokemon's approach popularized the idea of sharing content/progress with others. Sure, before you may have said "I got to the next level in Super Mario before you!" or something but that was about it. And if you played together you would take turns in front of your TV, or link together your Game Boy to play a puzzle game head-to-head, or something like that.

Pokemon, on the other hand, revolutionized the idea of playing together. People formed communities based around playing the game and sharing their in-game content (in this example, in the form of mildly customized monster characters that could be traded or used for competition).

The concept of playing together was continuing even when you weren't playing with anyone, because you were saving monsters to trade, and training monsters to fight with friends.

Because it was released as two versions, you were required to communicate with other players and form this type of community, talking about the game and asking for trades and battles, if you wanted to complete your game and get all of the monster characters. Or you could just buy another copy of the game.

And that's another big point--it popularized the idea of forcing players to spend more money in order to complete their gaming experience. Who wants to play a game about collecting monsters with obvious holes in your monster list? Want to solve that easily? Go pay another $30-40 for the exact same game, with a different color on it.

That same kind of concept is used in the case of DLC today. Playing your fighting game, and on the character select screen, you see a ? for a character. Well, you have to pay $2 to play as that character! But the human mind enjoys having complete sets, so you will subconsciously desire that character even if you don't want to use them in the game.

Pokemon popularized this concept well before the "unfinished games you have to pay to finish" that people complain about today. Although DLC didn't exist yet, these kinds of things started to pop up way more after Pokemon (buy the strategy guide, get a code for an item in your game you can't get elsewhere! Buy an ereader and trading cards to get everything available in the game! etc etc)

I more like to look at the positive impact of Pokemon, the social aspects, but you can't really ignore these things either.

This is an example of a game that really had an impact on the industry. It changed the ways people thought about game design and introduced revolutionary concepts, both good and bad, into the world of gaming.

"This game had regenerating health and now a lot of games have that too!" is not...
---
https://gamingandthinking.blogspot.com/
#140lninjasoniclPosted 12/10/2012 5:31:29 PM
MlREFOX posted...
lninjasonicl posted...
MlREFOX posted...
OrangeSchweese posted...
jubjub360 posted...

So then there are plenty of people who have missed out on most of the seminal games and have no right to be labeling anything and impactful. That's like saying that a certain gamer has never in his life played anything by Nintendo but when Rayman Origins came out on his PS3, he found something "new" that would forever impact the gaming industry. If you have not been playing multiple consoles, including the PC, for many years, I don't see how you can possibly be talking about what impacted the industry without having a sever information gap.

Console gaming is way more popular than pc gaming, therefore those games are going to have more of an impact. Sure some pc games are going to have their place, but more often their console cousins are going to get the recognition and praise, even if a pc game did it first or better in some cases.

Of course I've never played a PC game so I may not know what I'm talking about, although I do have 29 consoles sitting in my room right now.
---
I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. Best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes.