This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what games have absolutely IMPACTED the gaming Industry?

#21lawjr3Posted 12/10/2012 7:31:18 AM
lninjasonicl posted...
Bioshock : that the environment itself can tell a better story than most games' actual story

Bethesda does this a LOT. The unspoken stories in Fallout 3 and Oblivion were some of the best.
#22ScreamingMidgetPosted 12/10/2012 7:32:14 AM
The original Devil May Cry created it's own genre.
#23ScymitePosted 12/10/2012 7:36:34 AM
Jahkeemyork posted...

Vanquish: The Sliding Mechanic. (Although games don't have it as INSANE, after Vanquish it is noticed that games have been adding a sliding mechanic when close to cover now days. This is usually seen as a Vanquish x GoW combination)

What other games have taken the sliding mechanic?

And is this sliding mechanic that I've never noticed in any other game REALLY that impactful?
---
"I always found it both amusing and oddly appropriate that the rhetoric of the Information Age ended up being so... binary." -- Time_pants
#24lawjr3Posted 12/10/2012 7:47:02 AM
Scymite posted...
Jahkeemyork posted...

Vanquish: The Sliding Mechanic. (Although games don't have it as INSANE, after Vanquish it is noticed that games have been adding a sliding mechanic when close to cover now days. This is usually seen as a Vanquish x GoW combination)

And is this sliding mechanic that I've never noticed in any other game REALLY that impactful?

RE6's sliding mechanic is pretty sweet. It adds a new level of protection and reaction.
As for the rest of the forgettable game...
#25SailorSatournePosted 12/10/2012 7:56:34 AM
Super Mario Bros. - All side-scrolling platformer owes everything to Mario.

Pitfall? Montezuma's Revenge?
---
Placeholder signature so people don't skip the last line of my posts.
#26Jahkeemyork(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 7:56:52 AM
Scymite posted...
Jahkeemyork posted...

Killzone 3 used it
Crysys 2 Uses it
Bullet Storm uses it
Sleeping Dog uses it.
Far Cry 3 also uses it
and that's just a few to list that use it.

It basically allows for quick maneuver behind cover when you're far away enough. Like Assassin's Creed free running, it's not a game changer but it is something that's been getting used more frequently now days and it is useful.
#27Jahkeemyork(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 7:58:58 AM
LionheartCJ posted...
Sonic The Hedgehog - Finally gave mario competition and gave nintendo something to worry about

And Shenmue used QTE's before RE4

Shemue didn't make it popular though. Like I said, using it first, and revolutionizing it in the gaming industry are two different things.

Recovering health was used way back in the 1990's but it never became popular.
#28Anon_Gamer342Posted 12/10/2012 8:04:34 AM
SailorSatourne posted...
Super Mario Bros. - All side-scrolling platformer owes everything to Mario.

Pitfall? Montezuma's Revenge?

Dang, didn't think anyone remembered Pitfall. That was one of my first video games as a kid.
#29calhoun1389Posted 12/10/2012 8:15:52 AM
lambchips posted...
this gen
half life 2- physics

Why do I keep seeing this here? Am I missing something that makes a game from 2004 a current gen game despite the first 7th gen console releasing in late 2005?
---
My first born, Jackson was born on Friday, May 11, 2012.
'I just wanted to be the best Pokemon Master I could be." - Michael Vick
#30PrismsbladePosted 12/10/2012 8:16:35 AM
Xenoblade chronicles: Large beautiful worlds, that encourage, and reward exploitation: Seriously unless your just playing the story you most likely wont even have explored 2/4 of the the maps in each area.

Fast travel system: Not only can you save anywhere but you can also warp from any, and all checkpoints, at almost anytime, from the first town to the very last dungeon in a matter of seconds, which removes tedious backtracking completely, and not all quest even require you to return to the quest giver.

Speaking with townsfolk is highly encourage, and so is swapping party members often, quest offer much exp, and valuable items, and at of end of em your be overlevled enough to curbstomp everything, and quest are never a waste of time.

Add to their being regenerative HP, and no MP, and items to worry about in battle, and such annoyances such as returning to town and restocking are gone as well, so you can explore the world for as long as you wish.

Thats all not even including its battle system, that rewards you for learning it, and its other things like gem crafting, that while unnecessary to beat the main story still rewards you greatly for actually learning to use it.

Xenoblade pretty much killed each of every issue plaguing Jrpgs, today and most certainly raised the standered for all future rpgs to follow.
---
Its commonly known on Gamefaqs that if anything is more evident than proven facts, its personal opinions.